What I’m Loving for Spring

This past month, the ModCloth buyers and I have been busy at trade shows all over Europe and the U.S., on the hunt for exciting new items to bring to the site this spring. Though it’s tough to choose from all of the amazing designs we’ve seen, there are definitely a few trends that stand out!

I believe nothing is ever truly in or out of style – it’s all about wearing what you love and making it your own. But, these retro-inspired fashions are re-emerging as some of my favorites – and I couldn’t wait to share them with you!

Nothing says spring like picnic plaids! It’s one of those trends that never really goes away — and when the weather gets warm, it’s especially fun to pull out this nostalgic pattern. I love the references to the 50s!

Everywhere we went in Europe, we spotted lots of colored denim – so much pink and green! In past seasons, neon ruled colorblocking trends, and though it’s still really cool, we’re seeing lots of great, fresh pastel options for spring.

Another resurgence of a 50’s trend that I’m currently obsessed with is novelty animal prints! All of us at ModCloth are constantly inspired by the animals around us, and I’m no exception. I’m constantly snapping photos of Winston, and my house is full of vintage animal-themed finds. Why not extend them to my closet, too?

What trends are you looking forward to trying out this spring?

Susan

About Susan

Susan's all-time favorite things include pugs, eating outdoors, and absurd mushroom-themed housewares. Her current obsessions include nail polish, wedges, and anything high-waisted. Her ultimate style icon is her grandma, and she's one of the founders of ModCloth!

23 Responses to What I’m Loving for Spring

1. Antoinette 02/25/2012 at 3:43 pm #

i LOVE animal prints! yum…lol..i have a not-so-secret love with lace, polka-dots, and stripes.

• Susan (ModCloth) 02/27/2012 at 11:53 am #

Me too! Polka dots are truly classic – no matter the season, no matter the year – they will always be “in” :)

2. RACHEL 02/25/2012 at 7:14 pm #

I love animals always have always will so I am most looking forward to wearing novelty animal prints. I also think just like floral patterns it will be on trend to mix and match prints. I personally like the critters dress from above paired with those cat shoes and what’s the story winston necklace. I also like the picnic patterns I think the purple plaid dress above is super cute! I’m not so in to color blocking because they tend to make big girls look bigger but I do like the pastel colors in place of neon. Pastel is just so girly which being girly I feel is the bast part of Vintage style! Thanks for the looks ModCloth will definately be shopping these out!!

3. Emmalie 02/25/2012 at 7:25 pm #

I want the plaid creeper shoes! They are so amazing! Creepers are so cool!

• Susan (ModCloth) 02/27/2012 at 11:54 am #

Yay! So glad you love them too. They will be hitting the site in about a week or so, so keep an eye out!

4. Aizzing 02/25/2012 at 10:59 pm #

I have tons of those long owl necklaces and I love them! So that “You can never have too many owls” hit me right on. And that pastel colored dress in yellow, green and pink puts a refreshing twist on the color-blocking trend. Thanks ModCloth! :)

5. tashach 02/26/2012 at 2:12 am #

All the colours!!! I’m loving all the coloured jeans in the shops at the moment and this modern take on what I like to see as the MadMen look. Love it!!! And orange. Lots of orange, it’s my new obsession. And bows and lace. I like to look girlie but functional if that makes sense and I really really agree with you about things never going out of style but being about the way we wear things.

6. baja hoodie 02/26/2012 at 3:14 am #

It seems that plaid will never go out of style. That 50s plaid dress just beams of bright gleeful personality.

7. Eliza 02/26/2012 at 4:44 am #

I love the colorblocking trend. It’s so flattering. It’s hilarious to see how many different ways people use colorblocking. This is the 5th article I’ve read that mentioned colorblocking, and, I must say, this is my fave rendition.

Check out my version of colorblocking on my blog:

• Eliza 02/26/2012 at 4:49 am #

What trends? Hmm….I really like the mod styles coming out. Tangerine is to die for. I also like the femenine styles I’ve seen on runways.

I’m definitely going to try to style my outfits like Tracy Reese’s show. LOVE IT!

8. Sheetal Sabharwal 02/26/2012 at 11:57 am #

I love the dress above with sheer followed by mild yellow, green and pink. Gotta get a dress like that!

9. Mae 02/27/2012 at 8:25 am #

Ooh, bold color blocking + soft pastel = totally wearable. I wasn’t much a fan of color blocking until I saw that dress. Soo pretty, who knew? My favorite though, is cute critter prints, especially birds and poodles. Funny, I am not a huge animal lover (I know, I’m sorry) but I love folk art-ish designs. One question – at what age is cute critter prints not-so-cute? (I’m 31) Is it bad when your toddlers adore your fashion choices? (I covet that peach Perch Thing First dress and the Cat Your Service Blouse.)

10. Sarita 02/27/2012 at 3:57 pm #

I am in love with animal prints! Especially love dogs, horses and bunnies. I would love to see a penguin print.

• Susan (ModCloth) 02/28/2012 at 6:40 pm #

Sarita, you are in luck. Just wait until Sugarhill Boutique’s fall collection arrives later this year! 2 of the cutest penguin print items EVER :)

11. Heldine 02/27/2012 at 6:16 pm #

I don’t know why, but I love flower print!

I am very interested in trying out colorblocking. I have not had the time (or money) to go shopping, but when I can, I will definitely try to look for items that will help me out with that. :)

12. Joanna 02/27/2012 at 6:26 pm #

Picnic Plaid and color blocking! Love, love, love! Cannot wait to expand my wardrobe with new exciting pieces!

13. Alex & Arthur 03/01/2012 at 1:13 pm #

You had me at cute critters!

Frenchie love <3

14. inessa 03/02/2012 at 4:29 pm #

Tots in L<3VE, with all of the above!!!!

15. Rebekah 03/03/2012 at 9:28 pm #

I can’t wait to wear lots of cute floral print dresses and try out some new spring colors like mint green and coral! I’m definitely gonna try out the colorblock thing too, and maybe even a pair of colored jeans if I’m feeling bold.

16. Meredith 03/05/2012 at 7:28 am #

Love the animal prints and jewelry. Especially cats and birds of different sorts. I work with birds of prey so I love owls, but I’d also like to see something with eagles, hawks, or falcons too – that would be neat. And maybe more cat stuff too. :)

17. Anna 03/09/2012 at 10:30 am #

I love the animals, and the plaids! I’ve wanted the Modern Fairytale dress since it first appeared on the site…

18. Kaitlin Z 03/09/2012 at 10:44 am #

I love maxi dresses. I don’t care if they go out of style because they are SO comfortable. As other comments mentioned – I would love more cat stuff as well :) Perhaps a cat maxi dress!

19. Melanie Berg 03/09/2012 at 11:06 am #

I’m digging the Colorblocking one the most! The silk teal is gorgeous! Great finds!