Retro Revival: We Try Out a Recipe from a 1970’s Cookbook

We’ve been wondering: if throwback threads can delight eras after they were made, are retro recipes just as timeless? Here, we tested out a tropically tasty cocktail from one of my mother’s cookbooks to see what our seventies sisters were sippin’!

For an extra punch of taste, we dipped the rims of our glassware in honey and shredded coconut. Hello, yum!

Below, you’ll find three different flavors of this creamy concoction to choose from. We tried the guava version and opted for just a light splash of rum.

COCONUT-LIME DRINKS
2 cups canned or frozen coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
Canned guava nectar, papaya juice, or passion fruit nectar
Sugar
Rum (optional)

With the 2 cups coconut milk and 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, you can make the following drinks by adding the specified amounts of juice, sugar, and rum. Serve each over ice immediately after mixing.

Coconut-Guava: Combine the coconut milk and lime juice with 6 cups guava nectar, 3/4 cup sugar, and 1 cup rum. Makes 8 servings.

Coconut-Papaya: Combine coconut milk and lime juice with 2 cups papaya juice, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup rum. Makes about 4 servings.

Coconut-Passion Fruit: Combine coconut milk and lime juice with 3 cups passion fruit nectar, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup rum. Makes about 5 servings.

Lane Publishing Co., Menlo Park, California. 1977.

How amazing are these photos? Find equally thrilling illustrations and recipes in this cute-and-kitschy Vintage Cocktails book that just launched!

Do you have any hand-me-down cookbooks you love?

Laura Vrcek

About Laura

With a passion for events, interviews, and her pet aloe plants, Laura strives to live in a world where writing poetry evokes celebrity status. When she's not planning her apartment's next face-lift, she's either befriending strangers or admiring maps. She has an MFA in Creative Writing, is a member of ModCloth's Charitable Giving Committee, and is an avid appreciator of funky hairstyles and too-hot sauces.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Retro Revival: We Try Out a Recipe from a 1970’s Cookbook

1. Alex K 03/08/2012 at 10:36 am #

That looks really good! I will have to try them!

2. Catherine Alekna 03/08/2012 at 10:56 am #

i have a Maragret Fulton Italian cookbook from the 70’s. Margaret is a household name here in Australia and im pretty sure every 70’s household had a few of her books on the shelf.
    There’s not much colour pics though. Only every few pages. and some hand drawn illustrations

3. Kati 03/08/2012 at 12:02 pm #

I have one of my grandmother’s Good Housekeeping cookbooks from the 50s. It doesn’t have pictures, but just the style of the book screams of the era it’s from.

• Laura (ModCloth) 03/15/2012 at 10:09 am #

Oh, those are the best! I love admiring what fonts they used to use, too.

4. Mikaela 03/08/2012 at 6:20 pm #

One of my special possessions is my beloved grandmother’s copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, one of the very first editions from the 1960’s, which makes it a bit more special than the recent editions. The book is a classic, and I love the easy-going but highly informed way Julia Child, Simone Beck and Louise Bertole have written the directions. The most special thing above all are the double checks my grandmother made beside some favorite recipes. Although she passed away fifteen years ago, it still feels like she is standing beside me when I have a fancy cooking night. Of course, not all her cooking books worked out — there was one 60s book on traditional Jewish recipes, but there were so many bizarre meats and gelatins, and not enough emphasis on vegetables and light cooking oils! People ate many different jellied and canned food for main courses back then, without much emphasis on fresh vegetables, I feel.

5. Mary 03/08/2012 at 10:48 pm #

I have a Better Homes and Gardens “New Cook Book” from 1981 that was my mothers! I’ve never actually used it and it’s mostly a kitchen accessory because I love the way it looks. But now this blog has inspired me to get some of my friends together and try something out! What a great idea!

• Laura (ModCloth) 03/12/2012 at 5:46 pm #

If you do, you owe us a pic’! We’d love to see what you ladies come up with!

6. Kitty 03/08/2012 at 11:10 pm #

Wow, that all looks so yummy! I have a big ol’ mexican craving now! I have a lot of hand-me-down cook books, but my favourite is a recipe written on a scrap of paper, which contains such useful advice as “add some cayenne pepper, be careful, it can be a bit touchy”, with no indication of around about how much Cayenne pepper ventures into
    ‘touchy’ territory. Found in an old book, written in a late relative’s handwriting. The best!

Kitty. x

7. Samantha 03/09/2012 at 9:08 am #

One of my favorites will always be the Fanny Farmer Cookbook. It was one of my mom’s go-to books when I was growing up, and it has some of the best home-food recipes! I think her original copy was given to her by my grandmother in the early 1980’s, just as my mom was starting her own home. I highly recommend their recipe for chocolate cream pie- just make the filling and serve it warm as pudding with a little vanilla ice cream!

8. Christy 03/10/2012 at 11:22 pm #

Wow! What a great cookbook find. I collect them so I’m always look for cool new ones that I don’t have in my collection. This is an awesome addition to your collection. Congrats! (and the recipes look good too!)

• Laura (ModCloth) 03/15/2012 at 10:14 am #

Are they all vintage cookbooks, Christy? That would be so cool for us to see!

9. Eliza 03/14/2012 at 2:14 pm #

I have a cookbook that was a wedding prezzie to my mom….I love it so much. I love the recipe….I have to try it out soon. I love the images, they are so nostalgic.

Je t’aime, Modcloth…merci beau coup!