Aspiring designers, brace yourselves – our Make the Cut Contest is back! And, this time, it’s all about getting on the Retro Honor Roll. We want to see your superb sketches of creative, wearable styles with a 1960’s back-to-school feel! (Think: Winnie Cooper in The Wonder Years and Audrey Horne in Twin Peaks.)
Here’s how the contest works: We’ll accept submissions until 9:01 a.m. PT on 4/9. After that, we’ll narrow it down to our top twenty-five picks. Those picks will be posted for voting on our Facebook fanpage from 4/16-4/23. On 4/27, we’ll announce the top three Facebook fan-chosen champs, as well as two winners selected by Susan. The prize? $500 per winning sketch, and each item will be produced – with the designer’s name on the tag – and sold on ModCloth.com.
Here’s your inspiration for Retro Honor Roll:
But, don’t start sketching just yet! Check out these tips first:
- Entries should fit our 1960’s back-to-school theme and be inspired by the collage above
- Images should be no larger than 5MB
- Accepted file formats are PDF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, or GIF
- Please submit scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch on a white/light grey background (low-quality images may be declined)
- The ideal format is vertical with a 3Ã—5 dimension ratio
- Sketches should clearly highlight only one piece of clothing
- Submissions may include other items, but please indicate the piece being entered in the contest
- Keep in mind that you’re designing for the ModCloth customer and we’re unlikely to produce couture details or luxury materials
- We’ll choose 25 pieces based on judging criteria, then post those on Facebook for community voting
- Before announcing the winners, we’ll double-check that the Facebook votes are legitimate
- Use of a template is not required, but you may download one of these free online versions here, here, or here
- If you don’t get a confirmation email after submitting, let us know at email@example.com
- Sketches do not need to be in color, but it is encouraged to best convey your vision
Last, but not least, here are the rules:
- All entries must be submitted via Submittable
- No email submissions will be accepted
- Currently, this contest is only open to US citizens and permanent legal residents
- You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 garments
- Sketches may be submitted up until 9:01 a.m. PT on 4/9/2012
- Entries will be judged on wearability, marketability, produce-ability, creativity, and how well they fit with the theme, inspiration board, and ModCloth aesthetic
- With your submission(s), please include your first & last name as you’d like to see it appear on Facebook for voting and the clothing label, a brief description of your design, and a little about what inspired it or how you’d style it
- Winners will be announced on 4/27/2012 here on the blog
- Five winning sketches will be chosen, and $500 will be awarded per piece.
- Winning designs will be produced and sold on ModCloth.com, and feature tags with the designer’s name
- Contestants under 18 must have a parent or guardian write a letter of consent, and upload it as an attachment with your entry on Submittable (Example: If you upload five separate sketches, you would then upload your scanned consent as a sixth file)
Last, but not least, let’s recap the posh prize: Three fan-voted faves, and two pieces selected by Susan, will be put into production and sold — with the designer’s name on the tag — on ModCloth, and receive $500 a piece. Winning designers will also receive one of their produced garments! So, check out the inspiration board above and set to work. It doesn’t matter whether you sketch, draw, paint, or Photoshop, we just want to see your best stuff!
UPDATE (4/13/2012) - How time flies! Submissions are now closed for Retro Honor Roll, but that doesn’t mean the fun is over just yet. Visit our Facebook fanpage on 4/16 to vote for your finalists, and return to the blog on 4/27 to see which five winning designs made the cut!