What I’m Currently Listening To…

[8tracks url ="http://8tracks.com/modcloth/susan-s-soundtrack-on-the-road" height="600" width="600"]

Whether I’m flying to a conference in Sydney or heading home to reunite with Winston in San Francisco, one thing that keeps me sane throughout the time zones is an entertaining playlist. Since this past month has been a whirlwind of airports and adventure, I wanted to share with you what keeps me grounded while in the air:

This American Life – This podcast never fails to make me laugh, cry, and think — sometimes all in the same hour-long program! I’ve been listening to TAL for years, and I never get sick of it. Ira Glass is my hero!

Radiolab – I never miss this smart and thought-provoking podcast!

Regina Spektor – One of my all-time favorite albums is Soviet Kitsch. It always transports me to a different place, which is important if you’re sitting next to a screaming baby on the plane!

Katie Herzig — She’s one of my new favorite artists. I’ve been listening to her album The Waking Sleep on repeat.

That Dog – Lately, I’ve been listening to lots of 90’s girl rock. Retreat from the Sun is such a great album, it always gives me energy! I like to listen to it and sing along while I pack.

The Beatles – A classic! Revolver is my favorite Beatles’ album – I’ve listened to it hundreds of times and it still blows me away.

70’s disco – It always gets a bad rap, but my disco playlist never fails to put me in a good mood!

I’m always looking for new recommendations for the road. What’s your go-to track when traveling?

Susan

About Susan

Susan's all-time favorite things include pugs, eating outdoors, and absurd mushroom-themed housewares. Her current obsessions include nail polish, wedges, and anything high-waisted. Her ultimate style icon is her grandma, and she's one of the founders of ModCloth!

, , , ,

18 Responses to What I’m Currently Listening To…

1. Eliza 03/29/2012 at 11:53 am #

Susan….I love your skirt in the photo. A friend of mine is a Beatles addict, so it was pretty cool to see it here.

Thanks!

• Eliza 03/29/2012 at 11:55 am #

Oh, yeah! About the question….hmm….I like listening to peaceful, quiet music. Sometimes, on a really hectic flight/drive, I actually listen to classical. It calms me down and makes me go to sleep. (When there’s a naughty little boy on a train, you want to take a nap!!! :D)

• Susan 03/30/2012 at 2:13 pm #

Thanks! It’s a vintage find :)

I’ve been enjoying classical music every now & then too. I love Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue!

2. jokzezpokzez 03/29/2012 at 12:11 pm #

Yay! Finally someone at Modcloth shared their playlist! So glad! I like Blue Rodeo, Abba, Cliff Richards, Ace of Base, Madonna, Corrs, Imogen Heap to name a few!

3. Julia A. 03/29/2012 at 1:42 pm #

I’m a huge fan of both Regina Spektor and the Beatles! If you’re looking for other on-the-road music, I’d check out Miike Snow, Gotye, and Andrew Bird. All three have new albums out, and they’re all fantastic! And perfect for listening to on the plane or a long train/car ride.

• Susan 03/30/2012 at 2:15 pm #

Cool! I feel like I can’t stop humming that “somebody that I used to knowwww” song by Gotye :)

4. Hannah (ModCloth) 03/29/2012 at 3:38 pm #

I love Radiolab (not that that’s a big secret) and TAL. Even saw Radiolab live in Berkley this year…which was stellar.

Depends on my mood, but I’ve been digging Gillian Welch for mellow moods, lately, and the Carolina Chocolate Drops or Pickin’ on Series for more lively tunes.

5. Olivia 03/29/2012 at 4:11 pm #

I’ve been listening to Morrissey (always), Tori Amos, Regina Spektor too! and Bill Withers

I have to point out, I love your skirt!

• Susan 03/30/2012 at 2:15 pm #

Thanks! It’s a vintage find :)

I’m also a huge Tori fan, mostly her earlier work though. I’ve seen her 10+ times in concert!

6. alisonrose711 03/29/2012 at 4:36 pm #

I was recently introduced to Katie Herzig by a friend and totally love her now! :) Might I suggest Emiliana Torrini and Imogen Heap as other awesome lady music?

As for podcasts, The Moth often has entertaining stories, and I also like Bitch Magazine’s discussions on various aspects of pop culture and feminism.

• Susan 03/30/2012 at 2:17 pm #

Awesome! It seems like she’s getting some real attention lately, which makes me super happy. Also a big fan of Imogen & will check out Emiliana (along with the Bitch magazine podcast)!

7. Rachel W. 03/29/2012 at 7:39 pm #

I love, love, LOVE to listen to Librivox audiobooks, whether I’m working on a craft project or cooking or traveling! They’re all classics that’ve entered into the public domain, so they’re free to download and narrated by talented volunteers. Anything read by Karen Savage is bound to be excellent, but her versions of L. M. Montgomery books and Mansfield Park are my favorites. The dramatic reading of Little Women, narrated by Elizabeth Klett, is also a delight.

Hooray old books!

8. Laura @ The Joyful Fox 03/29/2012 at 8:37 pm #

Wonderful taste! I was actually just listening to Soviet Kitsch yesterday. That album never gets old for me.

As for other things – I absolutely never tire of Andrew Bird. When I need motivation at work, I throw on some Ra Ra Riot and that always does the trick :)

9. Erin V. (ModCloth) 04/02/2012 at 2:16 pm #

Awesome! I love Regina Spektor and That Dog. Totally Crushed Out! is the theme album to my teenage years (eh – who am I kidding, it’s the theme album to my twenties, too, haha).

10. levi8654 04/02/2012 at 7:20 pm #

Neutral Milk Hotel.

11. Katherine 04/04/2012 at 9:01 am #

I listen to “Send me on my Way” by Rusted Root. It literally is my favorite travel song ever! And it brightens my day if it’s been a particularly nasty one :)

12. Suzanne 04/07/2012 at 3:38 pm #

Laura – love Ra Ra Riot! My last road trip, we couldn’t find the cord to hook up the ipod to the car (boourns) so we had to rely on the last batch of CDs we had bought. Among them were Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ladyhawke, Dragonette, The Pre-Sets, Michael MacDonald, and M83.

13. Charnelle Ruff 04/20/2012 at 12:12 am #

sweet caroline is a song i always listen to.