Fashion in Film: A League of Their Own

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

Rockford Peaches

There’s only one thing more exciting to a New England girl than authentic clam chowder, and that’s when the Red Sox take to the field on Opening Day. Though I’m far away from my hometown team and unable to watch them battle the Tigers this spring afternoon, there is one way for me to combine my love of baseball with my day job, and that’s by reflecting on one of the best sports movies of all-time – A League of Their Own.

Sisters Dottie and Kit, played by Geena Davis and Lori Petty, respectively, set out to join the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League, which is formulated in the 1940s when World War II threatens to shut down Major League Baseball. The girls trek from Oregon to Chicago for the try-outs, where they meet the likes of “All the Way” Mae (played by Madonna), trash-talking Doris Murphy (Rosie O’Donnell), soft-talking Evelyn, and power-hitter Marla Hooch. The women form the powerhouse team, the Rockford Peaches, and take to the road under the guidance of manager Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks) and accompanied by Evelyn’s pestering son, “Stillwell Angel”.

Charm School

Dance Hall

Locker Room

Not only is A League of Their Own a great story of sisterhood and sport, but the retro fashions are pretty spectacular, as well. From the ‘Dirt in the Skirt’ uniforms on the field to the tea-length skirts and soft curls off of it, A League of Their Own definitely rounds the bases with its chic, low-key glamour.

Dottie

Stillwell

Charm School

World Series

What’s your favorite fashionable sports movie?

sarah

About Sarah

Who would have thought the little girl in the oversized Goofy T-shirt would grow up to work in fashion? Definitely not young Sarah; she was too busy singing her heart out to Whitney Houston. Today, her eclectic fashion tastes lean toward purses large enough to stash her latest read, way too high of a heel, and the occasional vintage baseball tee.

18 Responses to Fashion in Film: A League of Their Own

1. Stephanie 04/05/2012 at 7:09 am #

‘A League of Their Own’ is one of my all-time FAVORITE movies!! I used to watch this movie all the time when I was younger. Great movie…I think I’ll have to make time and watch it this weekend. :)

2. Cyntia 04/05/2012 at 7:24 am #

AH! favorite movie ever! Kit is my favorite!

3. akismet-2e1335bbad17c4d71d28df72dd3d111b 04/05/2012 at 7:50 am #

We just used the actual movie uniforms for a group shoot in Las Vegas at the WPPI convention… check out my shots here… http://ravenmathis.com/las-vegas-vcs-baseball-wppi-2012/2174/

I loved it!!

• CamiK 04/05/2012 at 11:25 am #

Wow the pictures are amazing and what fun!

4. Carolyn G. 04/05/2012 at 9:44 am #

This is my favorite sports movie, too. I just recently watched it with my mom and immediately after went to the bathroom to try out all the amazing hairstyles! It’s so rare to find a movie that has such heart, an all-star cast, great style and enough wit and humor to keep you entertained the entire time.

5. Molly K. (ModCloth) 04/05/2012 at 10:31 am #

Hardly a day goes by without some quote from this movie popping into my brain. Sometimes I’m huffing and puffing through a workout thinking “There’s no crying in Pilates!!!” and other times, I’m talking to my parents about my very talented sister and I think of the classic line, “This is our daughter, Dottie. And this is our other daughter, Dottie’s sister.” Whether we’re talking about gender roles, family dynamics, or fashion, ALOTO is always relevant!

6. Angela (ModCloth) 04/05/2012 at 10:35 am #

Ahh, those dresses, that hair. But, most of all, those women are so cool! Good pick, Sarah!

7. CamiK 04/05/2012 at 11:23 am #

This is why I love Modcloth. A League of their Own is one of the best movies ever! It’s all fantastic. I’m so happy you guys talked about it!

8. jennifer 04/05/2012 at 1:05 pm #

I love this movie so much – Geena’s eyebrows are perfection!

9. Mallory 04/05/2012 at 1:32 pm #

My great aunt played on the league. We have her playing cards and she’s in the baseball hall of fame. And the fashion was amazing!!

10. Roni 04/05/2012 at 7:19 pm #

Such a classic movie! Makes me think of the hundreds of times I watched it as a child in the 90′s.

11. Kaleigh 04/06/2012 at 5:05 am #

I absolutely adore this movie! So glad you featured it! My favorite scene has to be Madonna swing-dancing out at the bar… so cute!

12. GoodbyeNavi 04/06/2012 at 11:04 am #

This was a fabulous movie. I laughed and I cried. Everyone was superb in it.

13. Lizzie 04/06/2012 at 1:02 pm #

I made that uniform for Halloween in high school. Ridiculously proud of that thing. PS: Did you promise the cows you’d write?

14. Lila 04/06/2012 at 2:59 pm #

This is one of my favorite movies ever!

15. Mitch 04/17/2012 at 10:08 am #

Def one of the best movies..you should check out, Far and Away’.
    It’s a great movie too.