Oh, Ohio! Touring Cleveland with The Dainty Squid

Sometimes, we really have to pat ourselves on the back for devising this Travel Bug series. Not only does it give us an excuse to travel (virtually, but still), we get our tours from some of the coolest people we know. For this month’s tour, we cruised over to Cleveland, Ohio to see Kaylah of The Dainty Squid. Ever the trusty tour guide, Kaylah gave us the deets on everything from Cleveland’s best bite to a “vintage department store” that will make you never want to leave town.

Our colorful tour guide wears the Coach Tour Dress in Jade with the Heart-ly Contain Myself Cardigan, Jukebox Tights in the Twist, and Buttermint Memories Flat.

1. Tommy’s. “Tommy’s has to be the best place to eat in Cleveland, hands down! They have something for everyone. If you’re vegan, this is a place you can take your meat-eating family out to a dinner they’ll actually like while still leaving you the ability to eat something other than a boring veggie burger! My current food of choice from Tommy’s? The BBQ seitan sandwich. It’s heavenly. Messy, but heavenly!”

2. Sweet Lorain. “Basically a vintage department store. They have just about everything vintage you could possibly imagine. Two things to make note of in the store: one, the killer vintage dress selection. Two, the men’s section. This is one of the only vintage stores I’ve ever been to that has tons of menswear, so bring your boyfriends! [And,] I can’t talk about Sweet Lorain without mentioning the owner, Redwin. If you are looking for something particular, he can help you find it, no sweat. He’s extremely helpful. From his amazing outfits to his personality, he is truly outrageous.”

3. Big Fun. “The coolest toy store you’ve ever been in. It’s packed with toys from your childhood. They have everything from My Little Pony to Star Wars to Pee-wee’s Playhouse and much, much more. This store will send just about anyone on a trip down memory lane.”

4. Flower Child. “Flower Child is another amazing vintage shop that is a must-visit. I love looking at the furniture and imagining what it would look like in my house. It’s really neat because a lot of the housewares are set up like they would be in your living room, so it gives you some fabulous inspiration! You might go from a modern 1950′s living room to a sci-fi 1970′s kitchen to a plush ’60s bedroom, all within the space of 20 steps.”

Thanks for the tour, Kaylah!

Have you been to Cleveland? What would you add to the must-see, must-do list?

, , ,

18 Responses to Oh, Ohio! Touring Cleveland with The Dainty Squid

1. Lauren 04/06/2012 at 11:01 am #

I love this! Very helpful incase I want to visit Cleveland :) Also, love her hair!!

2. tkook5 04/06/2012 at 12:48 pm #

I was born in Elyria…so this just tugs at my heart!!!

3. Roni 04/06/2012 at 1:05 pm #

This is all too awesome! Mental note: visit Sweet Lorai- err, Cleveland. Visit Cleveland, yes.

• Mickey 05/16/2013 at 11:44 pm #

It’s actually called “Suite Lorain” for those of you who are visiting Cleveland.

4. Alicia 04/06/2012 at 1:10 pm #

I went to Sweet Lorain’s just once on very short trip to Cleveland last year. Seriously the best best best vintage store I’ve ever been to, with awesome prices. Makes me wish I lived closer!

Thanks for the very excellent tour!

5. Susan (ModCloth) 04/06/2012 at 1:19 pm #

Wow – Sweet Lorain looks like a dream come true! Looks like I’ll be making a roadtrip next time I’m in Pittsburgh :)

6. Naomi-Rose (@Mylittlep0rny) 04/06/2012 at 1:48 pm #

Oh man,
    I’ve wanted to go to ohio for ages, and now I know theres my little ponies over there!
    I have to go! I need them for my collection *grabby hands*
    Plus Kaylah’s blog is awesome!

7. Teresa 04/06/2012 at 1:52 pm #

When I plan my cross-country move from Oregon to Penn I’m making a long stop in Cleveland.

8. BMM 04/06/2012 at 2:48 pm #

ooh- my hubby went to college in Cleveland, and so we visited there a few years ago — wish I would have known about the vintage stores! Now, when IS that next alumni week-end? Maybe I should convince him to take us (wink wink!)! Love this blog post, and cool hair!

• BMM 04/06/2012 at 3:17 pm #

oh it just gets worse! He used to LIVE right near coventry village (it is near CWRU), ran through there on his running route, ate at Tommy’s, hung out at the toy store, blah blah blah. So why did he not take me there? “I forgot” he chuckles. SHEESH! Next time he won’t forget, I’ll bet you!

9. Lani 04/06/2012 at 2:52 pm #

Wow I live right in Cleveland, and I had no idea about any of these places besides Big Fun! Need to make a stop at all of them for sure (: Oh and if youre ever in the Cleveland area, the whole street where big fun is, has a ton of cute shops and restaurants. One of my favorites is Bd’s Monoglian Grill.

10. christina 04/06/2012 at 5:45 pm #

Try the tempeh ruben at Tommy’s….heaven between bread:)
    Can’t wait till my next visit. I also want to hit up the zoo, if i remember correctly from childhood it is pretty awesome.

11. Eliza 04/07/2012 at 8:05 am #

I love her! Maybe I’ll take a trek to Cleveland. Can you say ‘road trip’?

:D

12. jodi 04/07/2012 at 1:23 pm #

Sweet Lorain is truly amazing, as is Flower Child. And throw in there Chelsea’s Closet.

A place that I would add that is a MUST when visiting Cleveland: Westside Market:

13. alexa - cleveland's a plum 04/10/2012 at 8:33 am #

thanks for visiting the town i call home, you were right in my ‘hood!

14. Mandi 04/12/2012 at 7:03 pm #

Yay! Hometown pride. Well, almost. I’m from northeast Ohio and spend a lot of time in Cleveland. I agree with all of Kaylah’s picks, but would definitely agree with some commenters that you need to visit the Westside Market!

In addition, try Happy Dog- the best hotdog (and vegan dog!) joint in the world. Great bar, great music too. Don’t miss Luck’y cafe in Tremont either, for really good brunch. Chelsea’s has an AMAZING supply of vintage at affordable prices. And if you’re here during the warmer months, spend some time at Edgewater beach just west of downtown off of 2! It might be only Lake Erie, but Lake Erie’s not as dirty as it used to be, and the beach isn’t half bad!

15. Kayla 04/17/2012 at 8:02 pm #

Yay for Ohio pride! These all look like wonderful places! There is also a Flower Child shop in Columbus which is my favorite place for vintage! The layout is great and the basement full of vintage clothing is a dream! This is a great guide to Cleveland! Thanks! I can’t wait to visit!

16. shelly@ohshellsbells 03/26/2013 at 9:32 am #

Sweet Moses. Its right down the street from The Happy Dog. It’s an ice cream/old fashioned soda fountain shop that makes everything in store. They have awesome monthly ice cream flavors like strawberries and champagne or kiwi sorbet.