Celebrity Weddings: Vintage Edition

Mia Farrow cutting the cake in a super chic two piece via Keystone/Getty Images.

It seems that celebrity weddings are all the rage these days, and while we may find ourselves captivated by these super-sized ceremonies from time to time, we can’t help but favor the retro receptions of days gone by. So, we dug through the archives of the interwebs (a.k.a. Google Image Search) to find some of the most iconic wedding styles of the past.

Whether you’re planning a picture-perfect fairytale wedding, or opting for something a little less than traditional, these retro receptions are sure to provide a little bit of inspiration add to your marriage moodboard.

Yoko Ono and John Lennon via LIFE.

Priscilla Presley looking super sixties on her wedding day.

Jackie O. and Mr. Kennedy via LIFE.

Grace Kelly.

A young Brigitte Bardot looking sweet as can be on her wedding day.

Audrey Hepburn in a dreamy dress and fun floral crown via Ernst Haas/Getty Images.

Who says you need a dress? We love Bianca Jagger’s crisp white suit set! Image via Express/Getty Images.

About Erin

Erin is our resident California girl with a love for everything vintage. She’s the creative force behind Calivintage.com and she’s joined the ModCloth blog team to share her passion for vintage-inspired style, cycling adventures, and silly hats!

, , , ,

8 Responses to Celebrity Weddings: Vintage Edition

1. Sierra 04/16/2012 at 7:27 am #

While I don’t think I will be wearing knee-high socks and tennis shoes to my wedding, I am definitely more drawn to the casual, simple look of Yoko Ono & John Lennon’s nuptials.

2. Christina 04/16/2012 at 8:12 am #

Wow, I can’t pic a favorite. But Audrey’s and Jackie’s sure are breath taking and simply timeless… <3

Come check out the Italian twist I put on a classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

Christina

3. Anastasia 04/16/2012 at 8:28 am #

I love John Lennon!Even at his wedding day, he was so cool :)

4. RBuccicone 04/16/2012 at 8:29 am #

That pic of Grace Kelly always takes my breath away. I was looking through a pattern book at a craft store and found a pattern for that dress. I’m using it as my backup option if I fail to find someone who can make Audrey Hepburn’s black and white ascot dress from My Fair Lady into a gown for my wedding.

5. Beth 04/16/2012 at 8:53 am #

Grace Kelly must have been the most beautiful women ever! Her dress is so amazing, breathtaking!
    Four years ago, my own wedding dress was head to toe lace, with pearls sewn all over it. It had delicate straps and a modest train. And we definitely tuned into DIY projects, my mom making all the flower arrangements and bouquets, my coz (a professional photographer) giving us our photos as a wedding gift (saved us sooo much money!) and my mother in law sewing the ring pillow. My friend and I made my veil, I borrowed my jewelery from an aunt, and I made all of the invitations and party favors myself! Our afternoon reception was simple (cheese)cake and punch (nonalcoholic, of course) at a local park pavillion that had a waterfall backdrop. Our whole wedding and reception cost less than 2,000 dollars for about 100 guests, including dress, suits, and rings (diamonds, white gold and titanium)! It was the most beautiful day of my life, and we were so glad to have been able to easily pay for everything without borrowing money or going into debt! Can’t understand the national 26,000 dollar average spent on weddings — so silly–would much rather use that kind of money for our marriage instead of in just one day (we did and bought a house)! Oh simple days, would you come back!!!!

6. Andrea Register 04/16/2012 at 9:43 am #

No Elizabeth Taylor wedding pictures? I especially love the Conrad Hilton dress: http://www.glamour.com/weddings/blogs/save-the-date/2011/03/the-many-wedding-dresses-of-el.html

• Erin (ModCloth) 04/16/2012 at 10:17 am #

Oh my! How could we forget? She’s had some amazing looks! I also love that there are so many to choose from, haha!

7. The Modernette 04/21/2012 at 7:36 pm #

i love the vintage wedding photos! thank you for sharing! :)