Here Comes the Bride: What to Wear for Your On-Location Wedding

Does the location of your nuptials have you stumped on what to wear? Understandable! Whether you’re exchanging vows seaside or countryside, your chosen ceremony spot often comes with its own unique sartorial challenges. So, we styled three bridal looks for three unique settings to showcase how to achieve bridal style that makes a big impact.

Beachside Bride

For an easy, breezy seaside ceremony, a simple white dress goes a long way. Dressed up with classic pearls and a wide-brim hat to shield your eyes from the sun, a lacy beauty like the Tea in the Garden Dress will clothe you in casual coolness while still staying chic.

For footwear, heels simply won’t suffice in the sand, so opt for sandals or flats to make walking down the aisle a piece of cake — a brightly hued pair like the one above can add a punch of color to an otherwise neutral ensemble.

IN THIS OUTFIT
Tea in the Garden Dress | French Riviera Doors Hat | From Where Beauty Stems Top | Pearl of my Dreams Bracelet | Charter School Cardigan in Rose | Steps in a Stylish Direction Sandal in Daisies

Big City Ceremony

If the glitz and glamour of a big city soirée is more your speed, opt for Art Deco inspiration in a fringed dress and graphic accessories. While grey and black are certainly not traditional, an evening ceremony is the perfect time to showcase bold bridal style with luxe fabrics like velvet and textural accessories in enamel and sequin.

IN THIS OUTFIT
The Tassel at Hand Dress | In With the Nouveau Earrings | A Silver Flatter Scarf | Cocktail Reception Headband | Sequin and Find Clutch in Noir | Petunia Heel

Fête on the Farm

The charm of a countryside celebration simply can’t be denied. Play up a simple cotton dress with a bouquet of accessories in pops of pink, floral, and mint. If you’ll be walking down a grassy aisle, bear in mind that heels may dig in the soil and make your processional precarious. Instead, try a dressy pair of flats such as this floral and chiffon pair!

IN THIS OUTFIT
Fame, Set, Match Dress | Special Someone Necklace | Retro Rosie Earrings | Classic Remixed Cardigan in Pink | Fleur With Destiny Flat in Pink

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When she’s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

, , , ,

11 Responses to Here Comes the Bride: What to Wear for Your On-Location Wedding

1. Rachel 04/17/2012 at 7:21 am #

I don’t like the beachside bride dress, shoes or cardigan.. I only like some details of the big city ceremony (not the dress) and I don’t think the Fete on the Farm dress suits a farm at all.. I’m a little disappointed. No offense but I don’t think any bride in her right mind would wear any of these looks as is and I could do a better job pulling the looks together. But, it was a good attempt. :)

• rockabillygirl1 04/17/2012 at 8:08 am #

I am getting married in May and I would consider at least two of these three looks. I think my favorite is the farm ensemble…the cardigan makes it. Solid job!

• Alex 04/19/2012 at 4:39 pm #

was this really a necessary comment? I think the styling and dresses were super cute! It may not by your look Rachel, but there’s no need to put down the clothes and stylists.

• Rachel 04/20/2012 at 7:44 am #

Alex, No it wasn’t. i apologize if I offended you I was having a bad day that day! Thank you for pointing out my attended and unattended rudeness.

2. Beth 04/17/2012 at 10:11 am #

I love looks one and three, look two big city would make a great outfit for a wedding guest, though! I appreciate these non-traditional ideas — bonus: they are easier on the pocketbook than a big traditional dress!

3. Eliza 04/17/2012 at 10:26 am #

I love the Fete on the Farm outfit….it is just so lovely and non-conventional. Great job, Modcloth! You have, once again, stunned!

4. Ashley 04/17/2012 at 1:42 pm #

I think all three are great outfits. I had a small “city” wedding myself and #2 really reminds me of the look i had going on. Also, that comment from Rachel up top is pretty lame and backhanded:)

• Rachel 04/20/2012 at 7:47 am #

I am really sorry! Bad day that day. Unfortunately I don’t know how to delete my rude comment.

5. nozomiwhitewolf 04/17/2012 at 5:20 pm #

I don’t really like any of these looks but I do love the floral flats in the last one! ;) I think whether or not someone would wear these for her wedding or not depends on what type of wedding she wants to have. Some people actually prefer smaller or less over the top weddings at the town hall while others prefer big, bold, and extravagant. Not everyone can afford a super intense wedding so maybe a look from Modcloth would be a good alternative to a $1,000 wedding dress + accessories. I know for my wedding, I don’t want it to be big and flashy, and I don’t want thousand dollar clothing and accessories but maybe have one thing that’s super nice or just go casual. IDK. That’s the kind of mindset you end up with when you have college debt, LOL.

• Jane 04/25/2012 at 2:48 pm #

That’s so true! For so many of us right now, just trying to get (or keep) a job and pay down debt is enough without factoring in a mega wedding cost! And really, at the end of it all, all that matters is that you and your loved one are getting married, everything else is just icing on that cake!

6. Eva 10/31/2013 at 5:20 pm #

modcloth please do a wedding collection for 2014! i’m gettin’ hitched and being that half my wardrobe is from this fine business, it would be most fitting ;)