Beautiful Bridesmaids: The ModStylists Craft a ‘Maids-Worthy Ensemble

As a bride-to-be, you’ve most likely singled out a few of your nearest and dearest to act as wedding day support, but does the thought of perfectly matching ‘maids have your friends cringing? Instead of the typical dowdy bridesmaids dresses, why not consider singling out a specific color, and having your bridesmaids choose their own ensembles? Here, our ModStylists have each crafted a unique outfit with a focus on blue. Says ModStylist Nicole: “Don’t worry about matching colors exactly, colors in the same family look great together, and prints like florals can add interest to the overall look!”

If you’re still left craving uniformity, consider having your group don all the same shoes, like the Coulda Danced All Night Heel in Ivory. Or, as ModStylist Jess suggests: “If you’re planning on having your bridesmaids wear a variety of dresses, you may want to consider gifting them a piece of jewelry they can all wear, such as a personalized necklace or bracelet.”

Still stumped on how to best style your bridesmaids? Contact a ModStylist today!

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950’s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When she’s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

7 Responses to Beautiful Bridesmaids: The ModStylists Craft a ‘Maids-Worthy Ensemble

1. RBuccicone 04/18/2012 at 8:00 am #

My color theme is fall colors, and I only have two bridesmaids, so I’m just going to ask them to find whatever they want that fits with the color theme. It’s such a waste to try to find a dress that will never be worn again. I figure if they pick it out themselves, they’ll be more likely to use it again.

• Kerrie 04/18/2012 at 1:44 pm #

I think that is a great idea and I wish my friend who asked me to be in her wedding would have allowed me to do the same thing! Not that the dress she picked out for us isn’t beautiful, but I know I’ll never wear it again so for me it’s a waste of money, plus I harbor a little resentment for being forced to do it in order to be in the wedding and not upset her and her dream day.

• bellerousse 04/18/2012 at 5:56 pm #

My wedding is also focused on muted fall colors, and I’m letting my four bridesmaids pick whatever they would like that is in that color scheme, preferably with some sort of vintage style detailing, such as lace. So far, two of them have picked Modcloth dresses, which I am so pleased about! I know they love that they will get to wear these dresses again, as well as having fun picking them out. The dresses so far are Kiwi to Success and Shy Rose Lullaby. I love them!

2. Al 04/18/2012 at 3:02 pm #

I love the sun dresses! So much more pleasant to look at (and think of wearing!) than those awful matching satin bridesmaid dresses that are the norm. Here’s to something a little different!

3. Laura @ The Joyful Fox 04/18/2012 at 7:38 pm #

Such a great idea! I love the thought of differing dresses but matching footwear :)

4. balochbrud 04/19/2012 at 9:11 pm #

Love the dress as well as shoes..

5. Nicole 02/19/2014 at 2:54 pm #

This was a fantastic idea. The bridesmaid dresses were lovely. Thanks for sharing!