Street Style: Just Go Retro

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

We spotted this retro-inspired gal while browsing the booths at the Alameda Pointe Antiques Faire and were smitten with her aqua frock and contrasting canary-hued specs!

What would you wear for a day of foraging at a flea market?

About Erin

Erin is our resident California girl with a love for everything vintage. She’s the creative force behind Calivintage.com and she’s joined the ModCloth blog team to share her passion for vintage-inspired style, cycling adventures, and silly hats!

21 Responses to Street Style: Just Go Retro

1. alagarconniere 05/14/2012 at 12:50 pm #

what a babe! at first i wondered if the antlers were part of her purse, and then i read the caption. can’t believe her shoes and glasses match, what great deliberate style.

2. Rosaspina Vintage 05/14/2012 at 1:50 pm #

She’s amazing!! What a perfect use of color. Love the belt touch!

3. buttercup caren 05/14/2012 at 1:58 pm #

Fabulous outfit! The parasol gives it an extra bit of ooh la la. Love that she got herself an antler at the Market – that’s what I brought home from my most recent flea market trip; a girl can never have too many vintage antlers.

4. Christen (ModCloth) 05/14/2012 at 2:00 pm #

Major cutie! Looks like she snagged some good finds, too!

5. My Vintage Curves 05/14/2012 at 3:35 pm #

So inspiring!

6. Beth 05/14/2012 at 4:02 pm #

Great outfit! I believe mustard yellow goes with everything — a great new “black!” Those glasses are awesome, too! To answer the prompt: I would wear bright colors in a large floppy brimmed straw hat, a tank top, a spaghetti strapped maxi , lots of bracelets, and some low heeled wedges. And a tote bag. A really big tote bag!

7. kate à la mode 05/14/2012 at 6:55 pm #

I LOVE that dress! And the parasol is totally key at a flea market.

I’d likely wear a vintage/vintage-style dress, comfy (but cute!) sandals, and a parasol (assuming I remember to grab it!).

8. Corrie Kartchner 05/14/2012 at 7:21 pm #

I love her outfit. But I also love the fact that ModCloth doesn’t only show models/pictures of size 2 girls. It inspires me to dress more the way I want despite disapproval of certain parts of my body.
    Thanks.

9. Sarah 05/14/2012 at 7:22 pm #

She’s adorable! Gotta love her style

<3 Sarah
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

10. Carolyn 05/15/2012 at 8:43 am #

I cannot even express how much I love her glasses. Great dress and parasol too.

11. ghostsdontfallinlove 05/15/2012 at 9:20 pm #

Totally beautiful, she looks amazing! Also, as a tattoo lover, I must say her ink looks great.

12. Junebug 05/16/2012 at 11:25 pm #

This outfit is great, but ModCloth! If you’re going to show girls like us in your blog, you’ve got to carry far more clothes in the sizes we wear!! I adore you clothes and the S, M, L of nearly every dress is starting to… ahem… wear thin.

• AM 05/28/2012 at 6:05 pm #

Amen!

13. christy 05/17/2012 at 6:14 am #

This girl is adorable. And while Mod Cloth is happy to out a pic of this lovely lady on their blog, they don’t really make clothes for her. I am constantly disappointed by the small number of items available for me in the 14 and 1x sizes. If I click on the 1x button right now there are only 27 items listed, over 1/4 of them are bathing suits. You make lots of dresses that would look cute on me but in many of them you don’t offer a size above L. It baffles me. Over the last years I would have spent literally hundreds if not thousands of dollars on this site. And I think I have several friends who would have done the same. So Mod Cloth, truly, why would you keep me from getting adorable clothes and you from getting my disposable income?

• christy 05/17/2012 at 6:16 am #

sorry typo Mod Cloth is happy to *put* a pic

• Katherine 05/17/2012 at 8:29 am #

Here, here Christy! Completely agree with you!

• Jenn (ModCloth) 05/17/2012 at 3:56 pm #

Hey Christy, Katherine, and Junebug,

Thank you for your honesty, and for sharing your thoughts with us! We definitely understand your frustrations, and are with ya in wanting change. A while back, we ran a series called “Size of the Times” that dives into our mission of providing fashion for all, and the challenges we’ve faced so far due to preexisting industry standards. The series explains it far better than I could in this little comment box, but, in a nutshell, the main issue is that we’re working with a supply chain and industry size guide that has not yet caught up to the reality of women’s bodies. We’re hoping that with programs such as Be the Buyer, though, we can show the industry the value of listening to customers and eventually make sizing demands of our own. As we work towards this, please let us know if you have any ideas or know of indie designers who are already crafting quality plus size clothes that fit the ModCloth aesthetic. We’re always on the lookout, and would love to know any other thoughts you may have on how we can shake up the system. :)

- Jenn, Senior Online Editor

• Rory 05/29/2012 at 8:07 pm #

Re: Jenn

This is great and I agree; BUT you recently ran something where Modcloth BECAME it’s own supply chain and you failed to address any of our fat bodies (Make the Cut, specifically). I think that is a bit telling, to me. I genuinely hope that the next Make the Cut addresses this issue and Modcloth can start really becoming more fat friendly.

14. candy 05/17/2012 at 11:34 am #

she is gorgeous!! love ALL of it!

15. Janna 05/27/2012 at 5:26 pm #

Thank you for your reply, Jenn! I too am a plus-size girl who loves Modcloth but can’t fit into anything you sell (I’m a 2x). Please continue looking for ways to offer your clothes in plus sizes!

(BTW, does anyone know where the girl above bought her dress?)

16. laurenraephilpott 05/28/2012 at 1:37 am #

She’s gorgeous! LOVE her dress. I am plus size as well and really wish I could buy many of the dresses from modcloth… unfortunately a lot of them are not available in my size.