Shorts Story: One Pair of Floral Shorts, Two Ways

Looking for new ways to wear summer’s style staple, shorts? Whether they’re floral, polka dot, or plaid, a great pair of shorts can keep you looking — and feeling — cool in even the warmest of weather.

Today, I’ve styled the Potpourri Pretty Shorts two different ways. Whether you’re enjoying an after-work happy hour, or catching up with pals over Sunday brunch, these fantastic floral shorts will lend a botanical air to every ensemble you pair them with.

C’MON GET HAPPY HOUR – Keep your post-work ensemble looking polished like Community Specialist Raechel does with a fitted blazer, opaque tights, and walkable heels. An edgy bag loosens up the look and provides the perfect place to stash a pair of flats for when you need to ditch those office heels.

Raechel wears:
Potpourri Pretty Shorts
Career Path Blazer in Dusty Blue
Lattice Begin Top
Tights for Every Occasion in Navy
It’s Never Too Latte Heel
Chime of Your Life Necklace
 All or Blushing Bag

LET’S DO BRUNCH — For a weekend brunch date, a vintage-inspired handbag and cute cardigan lend a ladylike air to Community Specialist Beth’s otherwise casual outfit. Sip mimosas in style by knotting a longer top and add a fruit-festooned bracelet, for a look that will last long past your meetup.

Beth wears:
Charter School Cardigan in Navy
Over and Overcast Top
Blarney Scone Sandal
Style Salad Bracelet
Sightseeing in Savannah Bag

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950’s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When she’s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

8 Responses to Shorts Story: One Pair of Floral Shorts, Two Ways

1. Sabina 05/26/2012 at 5:17 am #

Those are great looks–especially the top one, since the bag toughens up the look a little. And it’s interesting to see all the other pieces transform little floral shorts into something that’s work friendly.

2. Eliza 05/26/2012 at 7:22 am #

I like everything in the first photo except the tights….this is just my opinion, but I prefer not to wear dark tights (figure thing). Julie, you look amazing in them, though! I love the second look, perfect for a casual brunchie with friends. Awesome! :D

3. Jessica 05/27/2012 at 9:00 am #

I love this,, but the navy tights just don’t work for me personally.. maybe a cream colour but the idea is great.

4. lin 05/27/2012 at 12:49 pm #

The top look is super cute, but not appropriate for summer temperatures. Or at least, no summer temps I’ve ever experienced.

5. Kenocka 05/27/2012 at 10:27 pm #

Dear Modcloth, it’s come to my attention that the vast majority of your clothing, while adorable and gorgeous and all sorts of complimentary words I’m not going to include, is also VASTLY LACKING in the plus size department. I’d love to buy 90% of everything I see in your clothing section but whenever I go to see the available sizes they’re small or running smaller than the expected norm. As a plus size girl I’d love to be a customer but since you don’t cater to my size I’m stuck envying everyone thinner than I am. It’s a disappointment and a heartbreak that I’m missing out on all your cute outfits because of this.

6. Felicia 05/28/2012 at 3:47 pm #

i actually love the tights with the shorts. As far as these two I like that one the best, because those shorts just pop! Either way, love the shorts.

7. Alyssa Pritchett 05/29/2012 at 8:35 am #

I love both these looks, very feminine with a hint of vintage. Great post!

8. Hollie 05/30/2012 at 12:47 pm #

YES! Pairing tights with shorts is something we preach to our customers and followers. It’s the perfect way to feel comfortable showing a little more leg while still looking fabulous. Try a pair of textured tights; they’re perfect for the warmer weather!