Fashion in Film: Moonrise Kingdom

All images via Focus Films and IMBD.

Take Wes Anderson’s latest film, Moonrise Kingdom, as a sign of two things — that summer is finally here, and that come this Halloween, many a Margot Tenenbaum costume will be retired in favor of one inspired by the impeccably dressed characters in this summer film.

Set on a small island off the New England coast in the summer of 1965, the movie tells the tale of 12-year-old romantics Sam and Suzy (played by newcomers Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward) who run away together, and of the adults who chase them. Moonrise is, unsurprisingly, gorgeous, with that off-kilter storybook quality and dreamy wash of colors that is a trademark of Anderson’s films. Moonrise is also well-attired, with costume designer Kasia Walicka Maimone’s deft hand guiding every ensemble, from the yellow piping on the khaki and pea soup colors of Sam’s scout uniform, to the tired-looking cardigans of Suzy’s sad dad, played by Bill Murray.

Since the film is still on limited release and has yet to roll through most of the country’s cineplexes, we’ll refrain from saying more and leave you with these stills of our favorite fashion moments from the film.

Do you plan on seeing Moonrise Kingdom?

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

, , , ,

11 Responses to Fashion in Film: Moonrise Kingdom

1. Juliana 05/29/2012 at 1:29 pm #

I saw it on Sunday at ArcLight. It’s a great movie, with wonderful acting and super cute costumes.

2. Jenny Deu 05/29/2012 at 2:19 pm #

Can’t wait to see the film! It won’t be playing in our (red)neck of the woods for a couple more weeks. Great to hear that someone got to enjoy the movie already!

• asha 06/05/2012 at 12:07 pm #

haha i like that…. even i live that sort of (red) neck in the woods, so i am waiting!!

3. Sierra 05/29/2012 at 5:06 pm #

I can’t wait to see this movie. So far, the closest theater showing it is over an hour away. Hopefully it makes its way to my town soon!

4. Dani 05/29/2012 at 9:14 pm #

Still waiting to hear when it will be headed my way. I love Wes Anderson films.

5. Anna D. (ModCloth) 05/31/2012 at 4:08 pm #

This looks so darn cute. Can’t wait for it to come out tomorrow in SF :)!

6. theperfectnose 06/03/2012 at 4:32 pm #

*&^% yea!

7. Sarah 06/05/2012 at 10:55 am #

I have a dress in my shop that perfectly represents this movie! Too fun ;)

♥Sarah♥
    etsy.com/shop/antiquepearlvintage

8. mamabear 06/06/2012 at 8:48 pm #

is it just me, or does that boy look like harry potter with a raccoon hat? just sayin… but no, skipping this. checked out the parental alert rating guidelines, yikes! i like my movies squeaky clean!!! the clothes in the post are cute, especially that coat in the last pic.

9. morty62 07/16/2012 at 8:14 am #

I saw it last night and came way charmed and enchanted by Anderson’s inspired whimsy. The clothes are great throughout. Murray’s charater, Mr. Bishop, mopes around his asymmetrical storybook house in madras slacks and no shirt, as perfect an example of prep ennui as can be imagined. The “Khaki Scouts” are all impeccably dressed, esp. Scoutmaster Ward, played by the great Edward Norton. The film is pure eye-candy but also has a very sweet romantic story to tell. Another Anderson masterpice. I plan to see it again.

10. Leah 08/08/2012 at 3:23 pm #

Love love love this movie! It’s so cute! Check out the look I created inspired by Suzy Bishop’s dresses in the film: http://www.hikinginheels.net/2012/08/moonrise-kingdom.html