With all the blogger buzz and Pinterest posts about magnetic nail polish, it’s no wonder that the ModCloth Nail Klub was ‘attracted’ to the idea! Magnetic polish is a mix of boldly colored polish and silvery, metallic particles. When a magnet is held over the wet polish, these particles scatter into ethereal, galaxy-like patterns that can be nothing short of brilliant.
The Nail Klub picked up a few reasonably priced bottles of the pretty potion at our local beauty supply store and set about trying it for ourselves. As first-timers with this technique, we were all a bit skeptical, but the results were even better than we hypothesized. Follow our simple tutorial, and you’ll have magnetic polish down to a science!
As with any great experiment, it took the Nail Klub a few tries to get an optimal outcome. Along the way, we came up with some helpful tips and tricks for making the most of your magnetic polish!
- Lay it on thick – The thicker your second coat of polish, the more noticeable the wavy designs will be.
- Get up close and personal – Hold the magnet as close as possible to the drying polish to get the best effects.
- Don’t be afraid of the dark – We found that darker shades made the silvery particles really pop.
- Get directions — Most magnetic polish comes with a magnet – ours was on a handy ring! The two poles of the magnet are what cause the particles to form lines. Try holding the magnet in different directions to make vertical, horizontal, and diagonal streaks.
- Hold it right there — Leave your magnet over the drying polish for as long as possible to get the boldest results.
Have you tested out this nail technique? Share your questions, tips, and conclusions in the comments below, and let us know what other designs you’d like the Nail Klub to try!