Kick-start the Summer with a Piña Colada Popsicle

A healthy dessert, a breakfast of champions, or a midday snack — however you choose to treat yourself to a popsicle is your own to savor! With Emily Zaiden’s new recipe book, Top Pops, in hand, we opted for to treat ourselves to a mini happy hour by testing out the tome’s piña colada pops recipe. In addition to boozy pops, Top Pops offers fifty-five flavor combinations derived from Zaiden’s high-flavor, low-sugar approach. Other dreamy combos include a vegan-friendly Avocado Vanilla, and a homeopathic Meyer Lemon Ginger pop.

Now, why don’t you get a head start on stocking your freezer full of summer’s staple treat?

Piña Colada Tipsy Pops
From Top Pops by Emily Zaiden. Makes 8-10 3-oz. pops

2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
2 cups coconut milk
3 tablespoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup light or white rum
1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

1. In a blender, add the pineapple, coconut milk, vanilla extract, sugar, and rum. Blend on high for 30 seconds, or until the pineapple is fully blended and no longer chunky. Stir in the shredded coconut and pulse to mix thoroughly.

2. Pour the mixture into molds, insert handles and place in the freezer. If using sticks, insert them after 30 minutes or when the mixture is firm enough for them to stand upright. Freeze until solid (at least five hours; due to the alcoholic content of these pops, they will take longer to freeze), and enjoy!

Do you have a fave popsicle flavor?

About Julianne

Julie Since graduating from the "Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too," Julie's aptness for the written word picked up steam like a runaway train. Her journey thus far has been fueled by an adventurous heart, creative mind, and love of breakfast, baking, and bacon. She often makes social situations more awkward than they need to be and loves the word "scrumtrulescent!"

, , , ,

6 Responses to Kick-start the Summer with a Piña Colada Popsicle

1. Sarah 06/12/2012 at 2:18 pm #

This looks delicious!

♥Sarah♥
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

2. Lauren 06/12/2012 at 2:44 pm #

As one that doesn’t drink, would this work without rum, or, at the very least, with rum extract? Thanks! It looks delicious!

• Julianne (ModCloth) 06/12/2012 at 4:28 pm #

Lauren, I don’t see why rum extract wouldn’t work. If anything, I’m betting it would freeze faster, and wouldn’t melt as quickly!

• beth 06/12/2012 at 7:15 pm #

I don’t imbibe either; you can simply leave the rum out of the recipe. Sometimes I even use an almond milk/coconut milk blend in place of plain coconut milk and it is fantastic! I also use a few drops of stevia extract in place of sugar, since calories are a concern for me. I can’t wait to check this book out – I love frozen treats!

• Lauren 06/13/2012 at 10:28 am #

Thank-you, Beth and Julianne! Both tips helped me out :) I’ll be sure to try both!

3. Charlotte 06/13/2012 at 10:09 am #

These look amazing! Why did you have to post this on the one day the sun has come out in England when it is still over a week til pay day and the only ingredient I have in the house is the sugar? Do you want to torture me Modcloth???