You came. You sketched. We produced. And our first Make the Cut Collection was a smashing success! So, aspiring designers, are ya ready for another round? We hope so, because our Make the Cut Contest is back again!
This time, the theme is Winter Garden Gala and we collaborated with Mary Kate Steinmiller, Fashion Market Editor at Teen Vogue, to put together an incredible inspiration board (below). We want to see superb sketches of creative, wearable styles that would be fitting for a fabulous fête in a wintry wonderland!
Here’s how it works: We’ll accept submissions until 9:01 a.m. PT on 7/9/2012. After that, we’ll narrow it down to our top thirty picks, which will then be posted for voting on our Facebook fanpage from 12 p.m. PT, 7/23 to 12 p.m. PT, 7/30. On 8/6, we’ll announce the five fan-chosen champs.
The prize? $500 per winning sketch, and each item will be produced, with the designer’s name on the tag, and sold on ModCloth.com. If you’re wondering why we’re asking you to submit styles for a Winter Garden Gala in the middle of summer, it’s because these items will be produced and sold in a special Make the Cut Collection during the holiday season. Oh, and did we mention that the winning styles will be featured in Teen Vogue? Yup. Just another rad reason to submit your sketches!
But, don’t start sketching just yet. First, check out these tips:
- Images should be no larger than 5MB
- Accepted file formats are PDF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, or GIF
- Please submit scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch on a white/light grey background (low-quality images may be declined)
- The ideal format is vertical with a 3×5 dimension ratio
- Sketches should clearly highlight only one piece of clothing
- Submissions may include other items, but please indicate the piece being entered in the contest
- Entries should fit our “Winter Garden Gala” theme and be inspired by our inspiration board
- Keep in mind that you’re designing for the ModCloth customer and we’re unlike to produce couture details or luxury materials
- We’ll choose 30 pieces based on judging criteria, then post those on Facebook for community voting
- Before announcing the winners, we’ll double-check that the Facebook votes are legitimate
- Use of a template is not required, but you may download one of these free online versions here, here, or here
- If you don’t get a confirmation email after submitting, let us know at email@example.com
- Sketches do not need to be in color, but it is encouraged to best convey your vision
And now, on to the rules:
- All entries must be submitted via Submittable
- No email submissions will be accepted
- You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 garments
- Sketches may be submitted up until 9:01 a.m. PT on 7/9/2012
- Entries will be judged on wearability, marketability, produce-ability, creativity, and how well they fit with the theme, inspiration board, and ModCloth aesthetic
- With your submission(s), please include your first and last name as you’d like to see it appear on Facebook for voting and the clothing label, a brief description of your design, and a little about what inspired it or how you’d style it
- Winners will be announced on 8/6 here on the blog
- Five winning sketches will be chosen, and $500 will be awarded per piece
- Additional winners may be chosen at the discretion of ModCloth and Teen Vogue
- Winning designs will be produced and sold on ModCloth.com, and feature tags with the designer’s name
- Contestants under 18 must have a parent or guardian write a letter of consent, and upload it as an attachment with your entry on Submittable (Example: If you upload five separate sketches, you would then upload your scanned consent as a sixth file)
- Currently, this contest is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents
Last, but not least, let’s recap the posh prize: Five fan-voted faves will be produced, with the designer’s name on the tag, and sold on ModCloth. Winners will also receive $500 a piece, and one of their produced garments, and their piece will be featured in Teen Vogue! So, check out the inspiration board above and get started.