Make the Cut: Winter Garden Gala

Make the Cut: Winter Garden Gala

You came. You sketched. We produced. And our first Make the Cut Collection was a smashing success! So, aspiring designers, are ya ready for another round? We hope so, because our Make the Cut Contest is back again!

This time, the theme is Winter Garden Gala and we collaborated with Mary Kate Steinmiller, Fashion Market Editor at Teen Vogue, to put together an incredible inspiration board (below). We want to see superb sketches of creative, wearable styles that would be fitting for a fabulous fête in a wintry wonderland!

Make the Cut: Winter Garden Gala inspiration board

Here’s how it works: We’ll accept submissions until 9:01 a.m. PT on 7/9/2012. After that, we’ll narrow it down to our top thirty picks, which will then be posted for voting on our Facebook fanpage from 12 p.m. PT, 7/23 to 12 p.m. PT, 7/30. On 8/6, we’ll announce the five fan-chosen champs.

The prize? $500 per winning sketch, and each item will be produced, with the designer’s name on the tag, and sold on ModCloth.com. If you’re wondering why we’re asking you to submit styles for a Winter Garden Gala in the middle of summer, it’s because these items will be produced and sold in a special Make the Cut Collection during the holiday season. Oh, and did we mention that the winning styles will be featured in Teen Vogue? Yup. Just another rad reason to submit your sketches!

But, don’t start sketching just yet. First, check out these tips:

• Images should be no larger than 5MB
  • Accepted file formats are PDF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, or GIF
  • Please submit scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch on a white/light grey background (low-quality images may be declined)
  • The ideal format is vertical with a 3×5 dimension ratio
  • Sketches should clearly highlight only one piece of clothing
  • Submissions may include other items, but please indicate the piece being entered in the contest
  • Entries should fit our “Winter Garden Gala” theme and be inspired by our inspiration board
  • Keep in mind that you’re designing for the ModCloth customer and we’re unlike to produce couture details or luxury materials
  • We’ll choose 30 pieces based on judging criteria, then post those on Facebook for community voting
  • Before announcing the winners, we’ll double-check that the Facebook votes are legitimate
  • Use of a template is not required, but you may download one of these free online versions herehere, or here
  • If you don’t get a confirmation email after submitting, let us know at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com
  • Sketches do not need to be in color, but it is encouraged to best convey your vision

And now, on to the rules:

• All entries must be submitted via Submittable
  • No email submissions will be accepted
  • You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 garments
  • Sketches may be submitted up until 9:01 a.m. PT on 7/9/2012
  • Entries will be judged on wearability, marketability, produce-ability, creativity, and how well they fit with the theme, inspiration board, and ModCloth aesthetic
  • With your submission(s), please include your first and last name as you’d like to see it appear on Facebook for voting and the clothing label, a brief description of your design, and a little about what inspired it or how you’d style it
  • Winners will be announced on 8/6 here on the blog
  • Five winning sketches will be chosen, and $500 will be awarded per piece
  • Additional winners may be chosen at the discretion of ModCloth and Teen Vogue
  • Winning designs will be produced and sold on ModCloth.com, and feature tags with the designer’s name
  • Contestants under 18 must have a parent or guardian write a letter of consent, and upload it as an attachment with your entry on Submittable (Example: If you upload five separate sketches, you would then upload your scanned consent as a sixth file)
  • Currently, this contest is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents

Last, but not least, let’s recap the posh prize: Five fan-voted faves will be produced, with the designer’s name on the tag, and sold on ModCloth. Winners will also receive $500 a piece, and one of their produced garments, and their piece will be featured in Teen Vogue! So, check out the inspiration board above and get started.

Still have a Q or two? You can check out the legal info, or email makethecutcontest@modcloth.com.

About ModCloth

161 Responses to Make the Cut: Winter Garden Gala

1. Ruzanna 06/25/2012 at 9:41 am #

If I am currently living in the U.S. but am not a U.S. citizen, am I still not allowed to enter? It’s rather sad if that is so. :(

• ModCloth 06/25/2012 at 1:03 pm #

Hi Ruzanna! I’m sorry if our legal guidelines will impact your participation in the submission process, but you should definitely vote on Facebook starting 7/23! If you have additional questions, please contact us at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com.

2. Sarah 06/25/2012 at 10:25 am #

Oh I’m so excited to start sketching!

♥Sarah♥
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

3. bee 06/25/2012 at 10:34 am #

I am uber excited! Can’t wait!

4. jo 06/25/2012 at 10:45 am #

awh man i got so excited before i realized it’s not open to canadians :(

• ModCloth 06/25/2012 at 12:35 pm #

Thanks so much for your interest, Jo! I’m sorry you can’t participate just yet, but be sure to cast your vote on Facebook starting 7/23! :)

5. Sabina 06/25/2012 at 10:45 am #

Thanks for this fab opportunity, Modcloth! I am so excited and can’t wait to get started. But what exactly is the rule re: Facebook votes? Does this mean family members can’t vote for you or new FB members? What would be considered invalid?

• ModCloth 06/25/2012 at 12:57 pm #

Hi, Sabina! We’re excited to hear that you’re excited! As far as the Facebook votes go, should you be a finalist, we encourage you to promote your sketches to friends and family and have them vote! We simply want you to be choosy and obtain votes in a natural way! If you have more specific questions about this or any other contest aspect, please reach out to makethecutcontest@modcloth.com!

6. Ana M. 06/25/2012 at 4:13 pm #

Too bad.. i’m an european citizen.. It should be an open contest… :S

• ModCloth 06/26/2012 at 7:20 am #

Thanks for sharing your feedback, Ana! Please check out our Designer District page [http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict] to stay in the loop regarding opportunities for aspiring designers!

7. Aimee 06/25/2012 at 6:00 pm #

You know what would be cool? If you guys would do one of these open to canadians and europeans for once. Just saying… After the mystery gift link not working all day and this, I’m starting to lose patience and interest in Modcloth.

• Hannah 06/25/2012 at 8:08 pm #

I agree! I was so exited for the mystery link, but when I got home from school it was all gone after some people got multiple. Living in Canada keeps me from winning the make the cut contest.

• Julia 06/26/2012 at 5:08 am #

I totally agree. When I got the email I was so excited and BAM only for the US! They should have warned us ahead of time, this is just a disappointment. :{

• ModCloth 06/26/2012 at 7:23 am #

Hi Aimee! Please remember that everyone can join in the voting process on Facebook starting 7/23! And if you encounter any issues with our site links, you can get 24/7 assistance by reaching out to a Customer Advocate! [http://www.modcloth.com/help]

8. Ruzanna 06/25/2012 at 7:21 pm #

Have all the Make the Cut contests been open only to U.S. citizens? I missed the last two because I wasn’t confident enough, but now that I’m ready to join, I can’t. :( Why isn’t it open to non-Americans, though?

• ModCloth 06/26/2012 at 7:33 am #

We want you to have confidence in your style and your design aesthetic, Ruzanna! You can find full information about our legal guidelines for this contest here: http://www.modcloth.com/help/make-the-cut-official-contest-rules. And I encourage you to take a peak at our Designer District page http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict to stay on top of our opportunities for aspiring designers!

• Paige 07/06/2012 at 9:53 am #

You don’t have to be a citizen, permanent residency will do. I feel your pain though, it took me eight years of living with a visa in the US before I got my greencard, and no contests were open to me until then.

9. Hannah 06/25/2012 at 8:05 pm #

I have a beautiful sketch that is the love of my life, but I LIVE IN CANADA! NOOOO

• ModCloth 06/26/2012 at 12:09 pm #

Hannah, I’m thrilled that you’re an aspiring designer! Please use your keen eye during the voting process on Facebook starting 7/23! Meanwhile, check out our Designer District page for other wonderful opportunities: http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict!

10. Samie Lee 06/25/2012 at 8:50 pm #

I was so excited in till i read that only U.S citizens can enter. Why cant there be things like this in australia. :(

• ModCloth 06/26/2012 at 12:12 pm #

Samie Lee, I hope you’ll use your interest and excitement to cast your vote on our Facebook page starting 7/23!

11. Sylvia 06/26/2012 at 1:30 pm #

I am so excited to join this contest. I do have a question though, are we allowed to sketch the drawings by hand and then use a computer tool like photoshop to color it?

• ModCloth 06/27/2012 at 7:32 am #

Hi Sylvia! Please have fun with your design! You’re more than welcome to sketch by hand and then add color though a computerized tool! We look forward to seeing what you come up with!

12. Hannah 06/26/2012 at 3:30 pm #

So excited! I’m making myself enter, I chickened out of the last two. Just spent the entire afternoon sketching ideas. What kind of feature will it be in Teen Vogue, is it for the sketch or the actual piece?

• ModCloth 06/27/2012 at 7:39 am #

Hi Hannah! I’m thrilled that you’ll enter the contest–and glad that you’re sketching your heart out! The winning dresses will be featured in Teen Vogue! We’re super excited about it!

13. Emma 06/26/2012 at 4:15 pm #

soooo excited entered designs for both previous make the cut contests but 3rd times the charm!

14. Molly 06/26/2012 at 6:04 pm #

I’m confused, do our designs have to use the images from the inspiration board or can they be totally our own idea? Thanks!

15. Ebelin 06/26/2012 at 6:38 pm #

This is great that we can use templates because I can’t draw a croqui to save my life xD That is why I didn’t enter last contest, but time to get the thinking gears all oiled up haha. Thanks modcloth for the contest!

16. erin 06/27/2012 at 6:25 am #

Hi there, I am an American citizen, but I currently live in Canada. Am I eligible?

• ModCloth 06/27/2012 at 11:40 am #

Hi Erin! As a US citizen, you can upload your designs from anywhere with web access! Enjoy sketching and sharing! :)

17. Nikki 06/27/2012 at 8:38 am #

Modcloth – what dress is that at the bottom in the middle?! I sort of need it lol :D

18. alexandra 06/27/2012 at 11:11 am #

Can I draw my sketch on the pc? Using windows paint or something? Thanks

• ModCloth 06/27/2012 at 11:42 am #

Hi there, Alexandra! Please use the tools best suited to your most inspired work! Whether sketchbook or netbook, have fun with your process! We can’t wait to see what you come up with! :)

19. Maggie 06/27/2012 at 12:39 pm #

So, effectively I can enter 5 designs, but they must all be on separate files, with only 1 main design per sketch, is that correct?
    And should I put my name and description on each image or will there be a separate area to fill in that information?
    Excited!

• ModCloth 06/27/2012 at 1:52 pm #

Thanks so much for your enthusiasm, Maggie–and what a great question! You can enter 5 designs in separate files. Feel free to include your name and design descriptions in the “Submittable” form associated with your entry. No need to include this information in each file! :)

20. Fer 06/27/2012 at 1:01 pm #

I’m so excited about it! But I’m not American citizen ): If there is any chance for other countries to enter, let me know. Please.

• ModCloth 06/27/2012 at 1:55 pm #

Hi Fer! Thanks for your excitement! Please let us benefit from your discerning eye and design taste once voting for this contest begins on our Facebook fanpage starting 7/23! If you are an aspiring designer, you should also take a peak at our Designer District page: http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict! :)

21. Rosaspina Vintage 06/27/2012 at 5:18 pm #

Ooh no, so sad to hear that the contest is open to US citizens only! The night that the newsletter popped up in my email I was so inspired that I sketched over 10 pieces :(
    Ale
    x

• ModCloth 06/28/2012 at 7:25 am #

Hi Ale! Way to go on your sketches! Please check out our Designer District page for other opportunities appealing to aspiring designers: http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict. And I hope you’ll use your expert eye to vote for the sketches that make it to our Facebook fanpage on 7/23!

• Rosaspina Vintage 06/28/2012 at 7:31 am #

I will, I’m very curious to see them all! And I signed up to the Designer District newsletter last night, hope that another fun project like this will pop up in the near future ;)
      Ale
      x

• ModCloth 06/28/2012 at 7:36 am #

Thanks so much for all your participation in our ModCommunity, Ale! Your voice and enthusiasm are a meaningful contribution, and I’m so glad you’ll stay tuned in for other opportunities and the upcoming voting process! :)

22. Jen 06/28/2012 at 1:47 am #

Do we have to include florals/garden theme in the final design or can it just be winter wear too?

• ModCloth 06/28/2012 at 12:38 pm #

Hi Jen! Please feel free to get creative as you interpret our Winter Garden Gala theme! The details, including print and construction, are up to you! We can’t wait to see what you sketch! :)

23. Kacey 06/28/2012 at 5:44 am #

Last one was closed to previous winners, am I assuming this one is as well? I completely understand if so, but I’d love to try my hand at it again so I have to ask!

• ModCloth 06/28/2012 at 10:10 am #

Hi Kacey! We want to see the very best designs from our community, and so previous winners can submit this time around! Good luck, and have fun going back to your sketchpad with renewed inspiration! :)

24. Eliza 06/28/2012 at 8:04 am #

Do the pieces have to be wearable for winter? If I remember correctly, the last Make the Cut contest pieces weren’t actually available until the next season.

• ModCloth 06/28/2012 at 8:55 am #

Hi Eliza! You are correct in anticipating that these designs will be made and sold in accordance with our theme: Winter Garden Gala! Have fun letting this season inspire your sketches! If you have any further questions, you can direct them to makethecutcontest@modcloth.com! :)

25. Ella 06/28/2012 at 8:25 am #

Okay, so Modcloth is an Internet business with customers all over the world. Because of this, I’m kinda shocked at how un international friendly the contests, shipping and mainly returns are.
    By closing off the competition from other countries, Modcloth closes off design possibilities, new talent and cultural and regional twists on clothing styles.

No need to reply.

• ModCloth 06/28/2012 at 10:29 am #

Hi Ella! It is our goal to make the shopping and community experience meaningful for all of our ModLovers through a variety of avenues and opportunities! Legal matters limit this particular contest to domestic shoppers, but we always run promotions for our international shoppers as well. Also–our Customer Advocates are available 24/7 to address all service and product issues. You can contact them here: http://www.modcloth.com/help. And our Designer District Page will keep you updated on opportunities of aspiring designers everywhere. Take a peek here: http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict.

26. Delaney 06/28/2012 at 2:20 pm #

Where do you put what inspired you??

• ModCloth 06/29/2012 at 7:20 am #

Thanks for your interest, Delaney! We definitely want to hear about the inspiration for your designs! When you are uploading your sketches via Submittable, there will be a window where you can type a few words about the pieces you’re sending us! We can’t wait to see what you compose! :)

27. Evelina 06/28/2012 at 2:56 pm #

Hello! I was wondering… are American citizens living abroad eligible to submit their sketches?

• ModCloth 06/29/2012 at 7:24 am #

Hi Evelina! You can upload your designs from wherever you have internet access! Happy sketching, and if you have any further questions, please direct them to us at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com. :)

28. Olivia 06/28/2012 at 7:39 pm #

Hey Modcloth! so excited about this contest!! I sketch designs all the time and its been my dream to be a designer my whole life! One quick question though, I sketched a design on lined notebook paper before i learned about this contest and it would be perfect, but can I enter it being on notebook paper? or do I need to redraw it onto plain white paper?

• ModCloth 06/29/2012 at 7:32 am #

Thanks for your interest, Olivia! I’m thrilled to hear that you’ve crafted the perfect design! Please feel free to submit your composition in whatever format best conveys your vision and inspiration! Submit the sketches you have the most confidence in! :)

29. Julia 06/29/2012 at 5:13 am #

Hi Modcloth! First of all i just wanted to say that I am very excited that you are doing this contest. This is my first time hearing about it and I am ready to enter! I am happy that I can start with something like this so young! :)
    I have a question first, I looked at the past make the cut designs , is this true that i can design only dresses, but 5 of them? I would like to be able to design other items like shoes, a jacket, a hat, gloves, and a dress. If you can design all of those items, do they have to go together to make an outfit? Or just fit in with the theme Winter Garden Gala?

Thank You!
    -Julia

• ModCloth 06/29/2012 at 10:35 am #

Hi Julia! Great question! You can enter five separate designs for the clothing category. So if you want to sketch three dresses, a top, and a pair of pants, then those would be your five submissions! Since you’re designing and not styling, your designs do not need to comprise an outfit. We hope that you will have fun with the Winter Garden Gala theme, and let our inspiration board motivate your sketching!

30. Ally 06/29/2012 at 7:26 am #

I have the same question as Olivia. Can’t be too careful. Also as for the inspiration from the sketch board, how much of your designs need to come from the sketch board? Do you need to use one of the floral patterns? Or does your design need a floral pattern in general? I don’t do too much work with floral patterns in general so this will be a nice change in pace, but I’m pretty confused on just what in general needs to come from the sketch board. Please reply! <3

• ModCloth 06/29/2012 at 10:43 am #

Hi Ally! Thanks so much for your interest! Please feel free to send us the compositions that most confidently showcase your designs. The inspiration board is just meant to get your creative juices flowing, but you do not need to draw directly from it. There’s no need to use a floral pattern unless you feel motivated to do so! :)

31. Jordan 06/29/2012 at 7:38 am #

Aww, I was all excited until I saw it’s only for people in the US. :c
    Already had something in mind, too bad. At least I get to vote later! :)

• ModCloth 06/29/2012 at 10:47 am #

Hi Jordan! Don’t hesitate to sketch out the ideas you have in mind. I encourage you to pursue your design work and check out our Designer District page here: http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict! I’m so glad that you’ll use your discerning eye to vote for the sketches posted to our Facebook fanpage on 7/23!

32. Maggie 06/29/2012 at 3:06 pm #

How do i submit my photo?

33. Jenni 06/29/2012 at 7:05 pm #

Hope you’ll have contests open for international customers/ followers, too (someday, maybe?) I’d love to design for ModCloth, if given the chance :) Anyway, I’m sure this contest would be a blast! Looking forward to seeing the designs.

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 9:04 am #

Hi Jenni! Thanks so much for your feedback! Please stay on the lookout for other contests available to all of our shoppers. Legal issues restrict us from opening up the submission process for this one, but please use your personal style and expertise to vote for the designs posted to our Facebook fanpage on 7/23!

34. Regine 06/29/2012 at 9:31 pm #

This is really heart-breaking </3 I want to join but I'm from the Philippines. I hope I can join next time! :)

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 9:07 am #

Regine, thanks so much for your interest! You can hone your design knowledge when you vote for the submissions that make it to our Facebook fanpage on 7/23! We definitely need your participation! And I hope you’ll be on the lookout for other amazing promotions in the future as well!

35. Tippy 06/30/2012 at 2:13 pm #

Can we design menswear for this theme too?

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 2:15 pm #

Hi Tippy! Thank you for such a wonderful question! This contest is specifically for women’s wear, and I’m really sorry if the rules weren’t clear on this point. I hope you’ll still submit your designs though! Maybe some menswear-inspired frocks or pieces for the Winter Garden Gala are in order?! :) Have fun!

36. Darcy 06/30/2012 at 2:28 pm #

Does “gala” mean our designs should be less casual and more on the party wear/dressy side? And can non-dress pieces be submitted (blouses, pants, skirts, etc.)?

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 9:15 am #

Hi Darcy! What a great question. Like the inspiration board, the theme is simply meant to motivate your creative juices! Please have fun with your sketches. Whether casual or formal, it’s up to you! Design garments that you’d really love to be stitched and sold at ModCloth for the upcoming season!

37. Raven 06/30/2012 at 9:24 pm #

I’m super big into designing but my drawing skills aren’t to keen. Would it be okay if i designed the dress but had someone else actually sketch it? Also, do we submit it via email?

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 2:24 pm #

Hi Raven! Thanks so much for your question! We ask that our aspiring designers draw their own submissions to ensure that their vision and inspiration are clearly conveyed! I encourage you to take your time and have confidence in your process. Designing should be fun–not stressful! Please send in your drawings, and encourage your friend to share hers with us as well!

38. amy 07/01/2012 at 11:05 am #

How do I submit pic

39. Alex 07/01/2012 at 11:34 am #

Hi! I have three questions about the contest:
    1. I have a croqui book, so am I allowed to use those croquis instead of the templates you guys suggested?
    2. Do we need to include production details like what type of fabric to use and things like that or just a sketch of the item?
    3. If my design has detailing on the back, can my sketch include a front and back view and still be counted as one sketch?
    Thanks!

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 9:23 am #

Hi Alex! Thanks for your helpful questions! 1. You can use any template you want as long as you have permission to do so! 2. Please feel free to elaborate on your vision for each sketch in your commentary. We’re thrilled to hear about any production or styling details you’d like to share! 3. Front and back sketches for garments are fabulous! Happy designing! :)

40. April 07/01/2012 at 2:31 pm #

Hi! I am too excited about this contest! I already have over five ideas! I was wondering, will there also be a feature in Teen Vogue about the designer or just their piece?

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 9:27 am #

HI April! Great question! The winning styles themselves will be featured in Teen Vogue. If you have any further questions, please contact makethecutcontest@modcloth.com. Have fun with your sketches! :)

41. shay 07/01/2012 at 7:57 pm #

Can you enter a pair you shoe as a design in the contest?

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 9:31 am #

Shay, thanks for your question here! This contest is only for clothing designs. I hope you’ll submit some fun sketches!

42. Sierra 07/01/2012 at 9:43 pm #

If I draw the pattern of the piece, can I cut a floral desicn out and attach it to the sketch before I scan it?

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 9:35 am #

Hi Sierra! We want your submissions to best convey your vision and inspiration. If possible, I encourage you to sketch the floral pattern onto your design. Have fun with this process!

43. Ona 07/02/2012 at 2:41 am #

I have to say I’m rather sad that this isn’t open for all (internationally as well) since a huge part of your customers are from other countries tan then US I find this rule particularly discriminating. As an international corporation I don’t feel like this is the smartest move to be honest. Plus let’s be honest, is there anything better then European fashion???
    Oh well, next time?

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 10:58 am #

Hi Ona! I really appreciate your feedback. Please accept my personal apology for your disappointment here. Legal issues require us to limit the submission process, but please be part of the voting portion of our contest! Your eye for style and design is very important once those sketches reach our Facebook fanpage on 7/23!

44. Sarah 07/02/2012 at 2:55 pm #

If we don’t have a scanner, can we take a picture of the signed consent form? (Just as the designs?)

• ModCloth 07/03/2012 at 7:15 am #

Thanks for your question, Sarah. If you do not have a scanner, then you can definitely take a picture of the consent letter! As long as we can read it, you’re good to go! Have fun preparing your designs for the contest! :)

45. Hannah 07/03/2012 at 11:33 am #

Quick question: if I am using a croquis, I need permission, correct? I use my Fashion Designer’s Sketchbook that I bought from Modcloth. Is it ok to use templates from that book?

• ModCloth 07/03/2012 at 2:31 pm #

Thanks so much for your question, Hannah! You may want to take a quick peek in your book to ensure that you have permission to use the templates in it. Happy sketching, and if you have any further questions, simply reach out to us at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com!

46. Rachel 07/03/2012 at 3:29 pm #

If I like a pattern that is very floral like and I am unable to draw it correctly may I attach a piece of fabric to the paper that fits my vision? If this is acceptable I will make sure it is clear to see and understand what the pattern is in the photograph.

• ModCloth 07/05/2012 at 7:40 am #

Hi Rachel! Thanks for your question! It can certainly take a while to get a composition on paper to really convey the vision in your mind! I encourage you to keep sketching, and have confidence in drawing patterns onto your garments! Enjoy the whole process, and when you’re happy with the images, send them our way! :)

47. Bailey 07/05/2012 at 3:42 pm #

I have several questions, so i apologize in advace for being loquatious…So can our sketches have interesting backgrounds like the inspiration board? Or do they have to be positively plain? Also, can we accessorise the croquis with hats and gloves? And can we draw close up bits of the dress for detail? Do different angles ( like back and front and close up views) of one dress count as only ine of the five? It is five separate garners, correct? Thank you, and sorry for being so questiony :P

• ModCloth 07/06/2012 at 7:50 am #

Hi Bailey! Thanks so much for posting your questions! No apologies necessary, because these are all great inquiries! The presentation of your sketches is completely up to you, so have fun! However, each file should contain one clear design submission for one piece of clothing. In the file, you can include front and back views of the garment. Finally, you can submit up to five design files! Happy sketching, and feel free to reach out to us at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com for anything else! :)

48. beckmansblerg 07/05/2012 at 6:52 pm #

“Perhaps it’s time we treat designers, like everyone else. Think about it.” http://designtaxi.com/news/352899/Speculative-Work-Why-Designers-Shouldn-t-Work-For-Free/

• ModCloth 07/06/2012 at 1:07 pm #

Thanks so much for your post! Here at ModCloth, we fully support both established and aspiring designers, and if you have any questions about the prize compensation for this particular contest, please reach out to us at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com! :)

49. Lauren Levanduski 07/05/2012 at 9:19 pm #

When you’re submitting your entry and it says once you press Enter that it’s finalized, apparently this is in regards to all of your submissions. I have to admit it was slightly confusing because it asks for the title of your submission, but this throws you off if you are submitting multiple designs because it makes you think that you do this process for every piece you’re submitting. I hope it’s ok, but I had to create another account to submit my other two pieces. I only had 3 submissions total, but this won’t disqualify me if I had to use two accounts, will it?

• ModCloth 07/06/2012 at 1:02 pm #

Hi Lauren! Thanks so much for your interest! I’m sorry if you encountered any difficulty when using Submittable to upload your designs. Please shoot us an email at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com with more information about your submissions so we can take care of everything for you! :)

50. Charlotte Hansen 07/06/2012 at 6:37 am #

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
    I have been up all night making sketches :’(
    I was beginning to coloring my drawing right now an then I realized it’s not open to european citizens.
    So… your are not interested in seeing my beautiful drawing, at all ?!?

I SO don’t like you guys right now.
    If we can buy your clothes, why can’t we then enter the contest? it seems really unfair to me.

• ModCloth 07/06/2012 at 8:03 am #

Hi Charlotte! I’m so thrilled to hear that you’ve been sketching your heart out! Please don’t stop, and I encourage you to use your expertise to vote for the designs that make it to our Facebook fanpage on 7/23! Although legal reasons require that submissions come from domestic designers, we still sell items from all over the world and create promotions for a our global community all the time! For more information about opportunities for designers everywhere, check out our Designer District page here: http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict.

51. Isabella 07/06/2012 at 9:03 am #

If you’re entering and you’re a minor, you have to have a parent/legal guardian write a letter of consent. Does this letter have to follow a specific format?

• ModCloth 07/06/2012 at 12:05 pm #

Isabella, thanks so much for your question! I’m thrilled that you’re interested in sharing your sketches. The letter of consent doesn’t have to follow any particular format. We just ask that a parent or legal guardian send along a signed acknowledgement that you have permission to submit your designs to our contest. If you have any further questions, just reach out to us at makethecustcontest@modcloth.com! :)

52. Twinkle Jain (@twinklejain97) 07/06/2012 at 9:08 am #

Why is the contest only open for US residents?

53. Elaina 07/06/2012 at 11:27 am #

Hello Modcloth!
    So, a few months ago I found this website and bought a pair of shoes! (which I was extremely happy with by the way!)
    Now i’m very pleased with this contest and will be submitting my entry tonight! I love how you guys ar making this online store so fun and different than others I have seen. One question though, can I do hat designs?
    Lots of love,
    Elaina

• ModCloth 07/06/2012 at 1:15 pm #

Hi Elaina! Thanks so much for your feedback! We really value the insights of our shoppers, and we want your experience of our site to be genuinely fun and fabulous! Enjoy putting the finishing touches on your sketches, but please focus on designing clothing pieces. Since hats do not fall into the clothing category, they’re not something we’ll be able to produce through this contest! If you have any further questions, please reach out to us at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com! :)

54. Gwen Ross 07/06/2012 at 11:50 am #

Just a suggestion for your next contest, open it to Canada as well. A lot of Canadian aspiring designers (such as myself) would greatly appreciate an opportunity such as these lucky US residents get. So, please consider that talent comes all accross North America and you may be missing out on a chance at bragging rights for being the first to show case that skill.

• ModCloth 07/06/2012 at 12:29 pm #

Hi Gwen! Thanks so much for sharing your insights! We are honored to support designers from all over the world–and to benefit from the feedback of our global community! You are right that there is a wealth of talent out there, and that’s why we encourage everyone to check out our Designer District page for ongoing opportunities beyond this contest: http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict. Although legal reasons require us to limit the submission process, please remember that everyone can vote on the designs that make it to our Facebook fanpage on 7/23. I hope you’ll help us out by using your discerning eye to vote as well! :)

55. Anelia 07/07/2012 at 1:14 pm #

Hi ModCloth!!! I’m so excited to enter my final sketches! I have one question though… do the dimensions of the sketches I send in have to be 3×5? It’s a little tricky to fit a front and a back image of my design in such a small space. Thanks!

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:12 am #

Hi Anelia! Thanks for your interest. 3×5 is the ideal format, but it is not a required size! No worries if your sketches are formatted differently! :)

56. Kimberly 07/07/2012 at 4:01 pm #

I am really sad that this contest is only open to Americans…I’m Canadian and drew three sketches before realizing that it was closed to people outside of the US. I really am very sad, as I am always designing things and would love to share my love for vintage with a modern twist.

I know this is a long shot, but does Modcloth ever look at the designs of armature artists and design them outside of contests…I have been interested in contact you guys about this before, so when I saw this I thought it was the perfect opportunity… :(

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:14 am #

HI Kimberly! I’m thrilled to hear about your enthusiasm as an aspiring designer! Please don’t be discouraged. Although legal issues require us to accept contest submissions from domestic contestants, you can still use your discerning eye to vote for the sketches that make it to our Facebook fanpage on 7/23. You should also check out our Designer District page for other design opportunities available to everyone! :) http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict

57. Fatuma Ali 07/07/2012 at 11:10 pm #

Does my sketch need to have description?

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:17 am #

Hi Fatuma! We’re look looking for submissions to include a brief description of your designs– and a little about what inspired them or how you’d style your pieces. This is just something to have fun with though! :) If you have any further questions, please reach out to us at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com.

58. madison 07/08/2012 at 11:45 am #

HI ModCloth i recently found out that you can enter 5 dresses instead of just one. I have allready entered one dress on submittable and it says that you should enter all 5 at once, can i still enter 4 more i would really like to and am not sure if its ok for me to do so? thanks!

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:19 am #

Hi Madison! I’m sorry if you had any trouble uploading your sketches via Submittable. If you have specific questions about your entry, please reach out to us at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com. Let us know the details about your submission, then we can check on it and help you out! :)

59. Kara 07/08/2012 at 6:31 pm #

Who should we address the letter of consent to?

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:22 am #

Hi Kara! The format for the consent letter is open, and it can be written very simply! No need to address it to anyone in particular, so however it is worded should be just fine! :)

60. narnia 07/08/2012 at 8:38 pm #

You say you don’t want luxury fabrics or couture details. So why do you have these in your moodboard?!

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:28 am #

Thanks Narnia! The inspiration board is meant to get your creative juices flowing! We hope it motivates everyone to imagine a Winter Garden Gala as they sketch away! :)

61. Susannah 07/08/2012 at 9:41 pm #

How do I make a separate description for each entry?
    And if I write them all in the “Cover Letter”, how do you know which description goes with which dress entry? Thanks!

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:25 am #

Hi Susannah! Thanks for your question! In the “Cover Letter” section of your submission, you can conversationally explain your descriptions. We should be able to tell which descriptions go with which sketch, so have fun with this part of the contest! :)

62. narnia 07/08/2012 at 10:11 pm #

If you win, would it be alright to have a copy of the pattern used to manufacture the dress for yourself? I have some designs that I imagined with special fabric, but since you guys don”t want anything fancy, I’ve tweaked my design to have simpler fabric. Is imprinted velveteen considered to hard to produce? I know a really easy way to make it.

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:35 am #

Hi Narnia! Thanks for your question! We are only able to produce the actual garments for the winning sketches. I’m sorry we can’t make the patterns available too! Thanks for letting us know that this is something you’d be interested in though! We appreciate all feedback from our community!

63. jackie 07/09/2012 at 2:49 am #

i can enter my entry wat do i do :(

64. Debbie XiaoFang 07/09/2012 at 3:42 am #

can i still submit my design now? is it late already?

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:41 am #

Hi Debbie! We’ve had such a great response to this contest, and so we’ll accept submissions through 12am EST today! Happy sketching, and please upload your designs as soon as you can! :)

65. Abby 07/09/2012 at 6:59 am #

It sucks I just now saw this and I’m an hour late to even enter you guys should make it two days longer! Lol

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:43 am #

Hi Abby! We’ll accept submissions through 12am EST today to accommodate late entries. Happy sketching, and please upload your designs as soon as you can! :)

66. grace. 07/09/2012 at 8:25 am #

i misread the time and thought it was 9:01 pm so i didn’t turn my design in. i was really hoping to do this.

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:46 am #

Hi Grace! We’ll accept submissions through 12am EST today to accommodate late entries. I hope you’ll still share your designs with us for this contest! :)

67. grace 07/09/2012 at 8:29 am #

I misread the time and thought it was 9:01pm and didn’t turn in my designs as I was planning on finishing them today!

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:44 am #

68. Alex Gillis 07/09/2012 at 9:07 am #

Is there an way to accept an entry after the posted time? I tried so hard to get my pictures to upload, but by the time i entered, it was already 9:03 PT. Im really upset that my design may not be valid now :(

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:44 am #

Hi Alex! Great news!–We’ll accept submissions through 12am EST today! Happy sketching, and please upload your designs as soon as you can! :)

69. Kara 07/09/2012 at 9:33 am #

Never mind my previous comment…
    I’m not really familiar with Facebook, so I have a question. Is it possible to participate in the Facebook voting on July 23rd if you don’t have a Facebook account?

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:37 am #

Hi Kara! Thanks for your interest! You do have to have a Facebook account in order to vote for the winning designs via our fanpage. I hope you’ll consider signing up for one! It’s a great way to stay in touch with what’s going on in our community! :)

70. Rachel 07/09/2012 at 10:33 am #

My computer crashed right when I went to upload. Is ther anyway you would still accept my submission later today?? I am so bummed that my computer has done this.. I’ve worked so hard.

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 11:45 am #

Hi Rachel! We’ll accept submissions through 12am EST today to accommodate late entries. Happy sketching, and please upload your designs as soon as you can! :)

71. Julia :) 07/09/2012 at 12:34 pm #

Hi modcloth! first off i want to say that i am kind of sad that you extended the deadline because i had somewhere to be this morning and had to wake up at 3 to have time to submit :( but anyway i got them in and everything is fine :)

But what i wanted to say was that i saw a picture of the dress in the right hand corner! It was the actual dress with the model wearing it! I was so excited when i saw it! :D
    Also I don’t have a Facebook account so may i use my mom’s to vote?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS GREAT OPPORTUNITY!! :D
    -Julia

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 1:40 pm #

Hi Julia! Thanks for your interest! I’m thrilled that you were able to submit your designs. Voters do need to have Facebook accounts, so if your mom wants to vote via her Facebook account, then you might want to open your own account so that you can also vote separately from her! :)

• Julia :) 07/09/2012 at 2:32 pm #

Thank You! :)

• Fatuma 07/09/2012 at 2:42 pm #

So i have facebook account but i am not sure of ways i can vote or via friends. Is that acceptable to do?

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 8:27 pm #

Hi Fatuma! Thanks for your question about voting–especially since this is the next major step in our contest! Please check out our Facebook fanpage starting 7/23 to see and vote on the top 30 picks! Anyone with a Facebook account can become a ModFan and get in on the action, so spread the word! :)

72. Viv 07/09/2012 at 4:41 pm #

Seeing as the contest has been pushed back, I wanted to ask if it’s possible to edit an entry? It was a color issue because I submitted at 4 am and was too tired to see the colors on my screen clearly. Also just wanted to clarify if it’s 12am midnight and not 12 noon. Thanks!

• ModCloth 07/09/2012 at 8:18 pm #

Hi Viv! Thanks so much for your question. If the status of your submission is still “new,” then you should be able to update it. However, if it is “in progress,” then you may not be able to replace files. For specific questions regarding your entry and its status, please email us at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com. As long as the major design elements of your sketches are clear, I encourage you to have confidence in your submission. We’re very grateful for all of the submissions received on time! :)

73. Eliza 07/10/2012 at 6:24 am #

Too late. I missed it. Sadness.

Oh well, there’s always next year! Good luck to those who entered! ;)

• ModCloth 07/10/2012 at 7:46 am #

Hi Eliza! No worries! Round two of this contest begins on 7/23 when our top 30 designs are posted to our Facebook fanpage for voting. Please check out the sketches and let us know which garments you’d love to see in production! :)

• Fatuma 07/10/2012 at 11:56 am #

I check facebook fan page and i did not saw the top 30 designs. Would you please mind copying and pasting the site in here
        Thanks, Fatuma Ali

• ModCloth 07/10/2012 at 12:10 pm #

Hi Fatuma! I can feel your enthusiasm for this contest, and it’s absolutely wonderful! :) Just keep in mind that the top 30 designs will not be revealed on our Facebook fanpage until 7/23, and that’s when you’ll be able to vote!

74. Ebelin 07/10/2012 at 9:52 pm #

I miss-read the, “You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 garments” of the rules. I thought it meant all entries go in one sole title and description box… would this be a problem?

75. ModCloth 07/11/2012 at 7:21 am #

Hi Ebelin! Thanks so much for your interest! I’m sorry if you encountered any confusion when sending your entry via Submittable. If you have any questions about your particular submission, please shoot us an email at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com with all the details of how you sent your designs to us. No worries here! We’ll be happy to look into everything for you!

76. Julia :) 07/18/2012 at 8:31 am #

7/23 is my birthday!!

it would have been nice to see my design on Facebook, but I can’t complain. This was a great opportunity and I am so young going up against older experienced designers that I was amazed that I was able to even be entered in the contest! There is always next time, and all the other times. I hope you do continue with this contest and keep them coming every year!

Can’t wait to see the designs on Facebook! (it will be a great birthday present to see them! and what they did differently than me)

Thanks again for having this contest, and now I know to keep my eyes and ears open for following ones!

-Julia

ModCloth Lover :)

• ModCloth 07/18/2012 at 8:37 am #

Thanks so much for all your enthusiasm, Julia! I’m so thrilled to hear that you’ll continue to be a part of our Make the Cut Contests–and that you’ll cast your vote on 7/23 as well! Happy Birthday to you, and keep sketching! :)

77. Taylor 07/18/2012 at 3:06 pm #

I’m really interested to know what your judging criteria is – do you pick entries that you feel would be easiest to make as opposed to. Also, how many entries were sent in? Do things like age come into consideration when narrow down the winning entries? I don’t mean to sound upset, or to offend anyone by asking this, but I was looking at the entries submitted for the last Make the Cut and some of them looked very simple, with no texture or anything, just a very simple shape which I have seen many times before. I couldn’t help but wonder how they got into the final 25, and I felt that I had put more effort into my entry. But that’s just me – I really have to be honest here and I really wanted to ask.

• ModCloth 07/19/2012 at 8:01 am #

Hi Taylor! Thanks so much for your post here! We were absolutely thrilled to receive an overwhelming number of submissions to this Make the Cut contest (over 1200 designs!), and our judges invested a great deal of time looking at each sketch and considering a slew of important aspects including design originality, producibility, marketability, and development of the contest theme. Our community gathers some of the most talented aspiring designers who possess an eye for fashion and a fantastic sense of personal style. We can’t wait to see what everyone will create for our next Make the Cut Contest. For more information, I encourage you to contact us at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com.

78. Bekah 07/23/2012 at 6:31 pm #

This is an absolutely wonderful contest idea. I love seeing what other people can do with a given theme. I’m thrilled and honored to have made the top 30, that’s rewarding in itself! Even if I don’t make the top 5, it is such a wonderful feeling to know that people like what I can do. Thanks, ModCloth!

79. Sami 07/30/2012 at 8:59 pm #

Hi ModCloth! Is it too soon to ask if there will be another Make the Cut contest next year? And is there a certain time of year this contest goes on? If I’m subscribed to email, will I find out about it that way?

80. Hannah Schmidt 01/19/2013 at 10:28 am #

Does Modcloth work on consignment? Will I get a percentage of the selling price if my design wins and sells well or does Modcloth own the rights to the winning design? What quantity is the winning design sold in? If my design wins does it open an opportunity to design more product for Modcloth or is it a one time design kind of deal? What percentage of the final score is “design must adhere to the inspiration board provided”? I can design based on the theme, but quite frankly there is nothing about that inspiration board that inspires me. If I understand the guidelines correctly I am able to submit 5 entries as long as I submit them all at one time. And it is possible to win with more than one design. Can you confirm that please.

Thank you for providing such a neat opportunity for upcoming designers.

• ModCloth 01/21/2013 at 8:34 am #

Thanks so much for your interest in Make the Cut! This contest has closed, but you can find more information about the rules and guidelines here: http://www.modcloth.com/help/make-the-cut-official-contest-rules. Also – please sign up for our Designer District [http://www.modcloth.com/designerdistrict] to get the latest scoop on all things creative for our community!