Street Style: Chic Ways to Wear Red, White, and Blue

Images via Styleclicker and Sian O’Carroll.

Whenever a big holiday rolls around, we struggle to find ways to incorporate the festive colors of the occasion without evoking memories of our Puffy Paint-adorned holiday sweaters of yesteryear. Don’t get me wrong, I love an ironic sweater just as much as the next hopelessly nostalgic twenty-something. Still, I felt compelled to take a quick trip around the web to see how some fashionable street style stars pull off wearing red, white, and blue without looking like the Star-Spangled Banner.

Images via The Sartorialist and Stylesightings.

Images via All the Pretty Birds and Altamira.

Images via Fashionist and Street Style Aesthetic.

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

About Erin

Erin is our resident California girl with a love for everything vintage. She’s the creative force behind Calivintage.com and she’s joined the ModCloth blog team to share her passion for vintage-inspired style, cycling adventures, and silly hats!

, , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Street Style: Chic Ways to Wear Red, White, and Blue

1. Christen (ModCloth) 06/26/2012 at 8:51 am #

I love this post, Erin, these are great ideas! It’s something I always struggle with, as I love red, white, and blue together, but it can easily look a little costume-y. So cute!

2. Christina 06/26/2012 at 11:15 am #

These all look really great without appearing over the top patriotic!

Come take a look at the Mini Succulent Garden I made. :)

Christina

3. Sunita 06/26/2012 at 11:55 am #

This is a great post. Last year, I went to a 4th of July party, and I wanted to be festive but not ridiculous. It was hard, and in the end, I only wore red without the blue and white because I just couldn’t get away from the cheesy festive look.

• Erin (ModCloth) 06/26/2012 at 4:26 pm #

I’m glad you like it! From browsing around for looks incorporating all three colors, I really liked the idea of wearing a predominately blue and white look with a splash of red as an accent: either lipstick, a belt, shoes, or a bright bag.

4. Jas 06/27/2012 at 7:09 pm #

I’d love to feature one or more of your pieces on my blog! I especially love your peplum and polka dot pieces! let me know what you think!

5. Sara 07/03/2012 at 7:02 am #

Erin,

Today I am wearing a blue and white dress, with a red skinny belt and bold red lips. I have already gotten tons of compliments (none of them “oh look how Patriotic you are”) and definitely have you to thank for this chic yet Americana look :) Wish I could share a photo!

Thank you for such great material here on the ModCloth blog!

6. Kristen 07/04/2012 at 12:35 pm #

These helped me figure out my outfit today!

I love the idea of having a “not in your face” outfit, but still being patriotic.

7. Biddy 01/30/2013 at 4:31 pm #

really like the plaid with the blazer. It takes a very casual outfit up a notch in a very unique way.