Street Style: Chic Ways to Wear Red, White, and Blue

Images via Styleclicker and Sian O’Carroll.

Whenever a big holiday rolls around, we struggle to find ways to incorporate the festive colors of the occasion without evoking memories of our Puffy Paint-adorned holiday sweaters of yesteryear. Don’t get me wrong, I love an ironic sweater just as much as the next hopelessly nostalgic twenty-something. Still, I felt compelled to take a quick trip around the web to see how some fashionable street style stars pull off wearing red, white, and blue without looking like the Star-Spangled Banner.

Images via The Sartorialist and Stylesightings.

Images via All the Pretty Birds and Altamira.

Images via Fashionist and Street Style Aesthetic.

About Erin

Erin is our resident California girl with a love for everything vintage. She’s the creative force behind Calivintage.com and she’s joined the ModCloth blog team to share her passion for vintage-inspired style, cycling adventures, and silly hats!

, , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Street Style: Chic Ways to Wear Red, White, and Blue

1. Christen (ModCloth) 06/26/2012 at 8:51 am #

I love this post, Erin, these are great ideas! It’s something I always struggle with, as I love red, white, and blue together, but it can easily look a little costume-y. So cute!

2. Christina 06/26/2012 at 11:15 am #

These all look really great without appearing over the top patriotic!

Come take a look at the Mini Succulent Garden I made. :)

Christina

3. Sunita 06/26/2012 at 11:55 am #

This is a great post. Last year, I went to a 4th of July party, and I wanted to be festive but not ridiculous. It was hard, and in the end, I only wore red without the blue and white because I just couldn’t get away from the cheesy festive look.

• Erin (ModCloth) 06/26/2012 at 4:26 pm #

I’m glad you like it! From browsing around for looks incorporating all three colors, I really liked the idea of wearing a predominately blue and white look with a splash of red as an accent: either lipstick, a belt, shoes, or a bright bag.

4. Jas 06/27/2012 at 7:09 pm #

I’d love to feature one or more of your pieces on my blog! I especially love your peplum and polka dot pieces! let me know what you think!

5. Sara 07/03/2012 at 7:02 am #

Erin,

Today I am wearing a blue and white dress, with a red skinny belt and bold red lips. I have already gotten tons of compliments (none of them “oh look how Patriotic you are”) and definitely have you to thank for this chic yet Americana look :) Wish I could share a photo!

Thank you for such great material here on the ModCloth blog!

6. Kristen 07/04/2012 at 12:35 pm #

These helped me figure out my outfit today!

I love the idea of having a “not in your face” outfit, but still being patriotic.

7. Biddy 01/30/2013 at 4:31 pm #

really like the plaid with the blazer. It takes a very casual outfit up a notch in a very unique way.