Calling All Volunteers & Non-profit Workers!

We’re collecting inspiration for our winter campaign, and who better to ask than you? We want to hear from you! Let us know at you@modcloth.com, and you could have a hand in an upcoming stylebook or feature!

About Angela

Someday, Angela will be tending to her sheep, llamas and alpacas on the “Yarn Farm” and raising award winning honey bees. Until then, the native Pittsburgher is enjoying all things related to knitting, her cats, Mr. Spock, red lipstick, and creativity. Writing is her first true love.

17 Responses to Calling All Volunteers & Non-profit Workers!

1. Charlotte 06/30/2012 at 9:33 am #

Is this only for US people?

• ModCloth 07/02/2012 at 11:10 am #

Hi Charlotte! This is for anyone, anywhere. We’re simply collecting info: stories that we may quote in copy somewhere, examples of role models in non-profits, etc. Since this campaign is so far off, we’re still forming our ideas around the fantastic content each of you share with us. Thanks!

2. Joanna 07/01/2012 at 10:44 am #

Can it be ANYTHING?

3. Colleen Thompson 07/02/2012 at 4:44 pm #

I would like you to know about Coat A Kid Foundation. A young girl Maddie Beckman, had her mother, Betsy Beckman, purchase a coat for a fellow student who didn’t have one on a cold day at recess…the coat was the given to her cousin, who didn’t have one, so they bought another coat…that’s how it started. The children wear these coats at home to keep warm in the winter months with little or no utilities. Those two coats started Coat A Kid Foundation which provides thousands of coats to children today. Simple, yet heartwarming.

4. kiyomi 07/02/2012 at 6:09 pm #

Sending a rather lengthy email about the non profit music festival I run in Oakland, CA. Hope you enjoy!

5. Brianne Carroll 07/02/2012 at 6:52 pm #

my aunt is part of a group called ‘ shelter them’ they raise money to support a group home and the group mother in rawanda who takes in orphaned children.

6. Ava 07/02/2012 at 7:39 pm #

Instead of presents for my birthday and Christmas, I am having my party-goers donate to the Dian Gossey Gorilla Fund. They work to protect gorillas’ habitat and their species from poachers.

7. Aleesha 07/02/2012 at 9:07 pm #

Does this person have to work for a charity or is it just a role model person who volunteers to donate money for an organization or charity?

• ModCloth 07/03/2012 at 10:04 am #

Aleesha, it can be either an inspirational person who works for a charity, or a role model who volunteers time for an organization or charity. This person can be yourself. Thanks!

8. eleonora 07/03/2012 at 1:42 am #

i work at a tattoo shop in viareggio, italy.
    There’s a friend of ours who liked to travel Asia, and one day, in cambodia, he met some children in the streeet that took him to their ‘home': an orphanage for cambodian children. the place was so sad and squalid that really made him lose his heart if not for the warmth and happiness of its inhabitants. Our friend fell in love with them all and as soon as he got back to italy he organized an onlus association and started collecting funds for them.
    our tattoo shop decided to give a hand and we organized a walk in day to collect money for 0our cofco cambodia orphanage': we called some other friend- tattooists and for 12 hours the all tattooed people non stop for charity. All that was earned was given to the children and it was a HUGE success: tonz and tonz of people (we stopped tattooing at 2pm) and a lot of money (over 2000,00 euros!)
    it was so gratifying and successful that we’re organizing that event again this year, but in a bigger place and with many more tattooists at work!
    last year we helped the kids rebuilding their rooms after an hurricane and bought a computer, this year we’ll be working to help them have some ‘skill courses’ as carpenters and smiths and dressmakers
    thank u for listening!!!!

9. Allison Sulouff 07/03/2012 at 7:56 am #

My mom was the most charitable person I’ve ever known. When I was a newborn, my mom was really involved in our church, specifically in getting our church to participate in PADS. PADS is a program where the homeless peple in the community are cooked a meal, allowed to sleep at the church, and then cooked breakfast. The church called my mom one night and said that they had taken a vote; they would only allow PADS if my mom would be in charge. She had just had a newborn baby, and it was way more work than she wanted, but she agreed immediately.
    Unfortunately, my mom died two and a half years ago at the age of 48 from cancer (I was 17). But until her last breath, she NEVER thought about herself, it was always about other people.

10. Becca 07/03/2012 at 9:34 am #

Growing up, my family spent almost every friday during the school years singing at the different nursing homes in our home town.
    As a college student I would go and volunteer at least once a month at a local soup kitchen.
    Last year I spent the summer in Mozambique, Africa helping a missionary that has been helping orphans and widows for over 20 years now. It has been such a joy to give back and learn about the lives of people not only around the world but also right in my home town.

11. Siobhan Kelleher 07/03/2012 at 2:34 pm #

I walk dogs every weekend at my local animal sanctuary (Sharpeshill WSPCA, Ireland). There are so many dogs there and I wish I had time to walk and play with them all, I hate that they’re stuck in cages for most of the day. My friend Katie and I have met so many dogs at the sanctuary, and we’re constantly astonished that each and every one has been sweet and friendly to us.

12. Zee 07/03/2012 at 3:10 pm #

What’s the deadline to apply?

13. Mary 07/04/2012 at 6:08 am #

I think the lookbook should feature models playing with shelter dogs :) I volunteer at the county animal control center and photograph the animals to dispel the myth that shelter dogs are mangy mutts. I have met the most loving, adorable dogs each with their own personality! You can find the perfect addition to any family at a shelter, and a life is saved each time you choose to adopt rather than purchase a dog!

• Mary 07/04/2012 at 6:10 am #

Please check out http://focusonrescue.com for more ideas. Teresa Berg, the author of this blog, is a huge inspiration!

14. Madeline 07/04/2012 at 10:35 am #

Hello! Will we hear back if we submit something, whether it’s used or not?