Summer’s Most Underappreciated Fruit, the Fig

Fig recipes: crostini, cookie, and pizza
Clockwise from the top left: Fig. cover via Photoworks, Fig and Prosciutto Crostini by Confections of a Foodie Bride, Fig, Flaxseed, and Pecan Cookies by Life as a H4, and Rustic Fig Pizza by Sprouted Kitchen.

With its petite size and more or less monochrome exterior, the fig is easily overshadowed by its seasonal fruit friends the mango, the watermelon, the peach, and so forth. Behind this unassuming exterior, though, lies a punch of flavor that’s no figment of the imagination!

Great in both savory and sweet dishes, and also amazing eaten alone, the versatile fig figures fabulously into epicurean exploration. To give this tasty bite a bit of the publicity it deserves, we’ve configured some recipe inspiration, from cookies to pizza, into the above photo collage. (There’s biscotti, galettes, grilled cheese, and ice cream to be had, too.)

If you have any favorite fig recipes of your own, please share!

About Hannah

"Q: Where do cantaloupes go for the summer? A: John Cougar Mellon Camp!" From that joke you can surmise a few things about Hannah -- she loves a good pun, she delights in irreverence, and red peppers are her vegetable of choice. How does one figure out Hannah loves red peppers from that joke? Hmm, that's top secret. Hannah also adores outdoor activities, arts & crafts, reading, and being abroad.

7 Responses to Summer’s Most Underappreciated Fruit, the Fig

1. Elise Dear 07/03/2012 at 1:06 pm #

Oh I love figs… I usually bake breads and cakes with them though… But on pizzas?? I have to try!

2. bunnyandporkbelly 07/03/2012 at 2:14 pm #

looks yumm

3. julia 07/03/2012 at 9:48 pm #

Well, Fig Jam is probably the weirdest thing ever but it is also incredibly delicious. It’s not that hard to make. You just need real brown sugar, boiling water and very ripe figs. The rest is patience.

4. MelodyJ 07/03/2012 at 11:47 pm #

I thought figs were a fall/winter fruit. That’s when I’ve always eaten it.

• Hannah (ModCloth) 07/05/2012 at 9:12 am #

Hm, that’s interesting. Perhaps it depends on the region you live it? Here in San Francisco, black mission figs are all over the farmers’ markets at the moment.

5. albraytonmodel 07/08/2012 at 9:44 am #

in all my years, I have never tasted a raw fig. I guess I’ve never had a reason to but these photographs make me realize exactly what I’ve been missing. Can’t wait to get some raw figs and try these recipes.

6. albraytonmodel 07/08/2012 at 9:45 am #

By the way, the cookies look almost like pecan Sandy’s and boy do I love those!