Pony Up: 3 Chic Ponytail Tutorials for a Cool Summer

Ponytail tutorials

It’s easy to dismiss the ponytail as little more than a lazy solution to sweltering summers, or a last resort for bad hair days. We’re here to convince you otherwise, and show you the infinite possibilities the simple pony holds! Using our fabulous employees as models, we tried three fresh twists on the old pony.

Retro ponytail tutorial

OH SO RETRO — It’s no secret that we’re vintage lovers, so why not bump it? All you need to do to achieve a retro bouffant is a little bit of teasing and super ’60s outfit to match! Just back-comb the top half portion of your mane, smooth out the top, and pull it back. Add a headband (as seen in the lead image) to elevate the look!

Preppy Ponytail

CLASSICAL THEORY — Looking for something a little more practical? We pinned ModEmployee Katie’s longer bangs to the side for a sleek and sporty take on the classic pony. Smooth out your tresses with some grooming cream and pull back into a slightly higher ponytail before pinning your bangs to the side for a look that transitions from the tennis court to an afternoon brunch.

Boho ponytail tutorial

GO BOHO — Want summer festival-ready locks? This boho braided ponytail is perfectly undone for a free-spirited summer style. Simply French braid the front section of your hair, and fasten into a low, side pony. Tease the ends and pull out a few loose strands for a casual look.

Let us know if you plan on trying any of these out, or if you have easy ponytail tips of your own!

About Erin

Erin is our resident California girl with a love for everything vintage. She’s the creative force behind Calivintage.com and she’s joined the ModCloth blog team to share her passion for vintage-inspired style, cycling adventures, and silly hats!

, , , , , ,

14 Responses to Pony Up: 3 Chic Ponytail Tutorials for a Cool Summer

1. Sinead 07/09/2012 at 11:46 am #

Love these pony tails, can’t wait to try them out!

2. Liz 07/09/2012 at 1:01 pm #

Love the BOHO!!!! So cute! I love how to braid comes from the far section of the head.

3. Blythe 07/09/2012 at 1:27 pm #

Your hair tutorials are almost enough to make me want to grow my hair out… Almost.

• Jenn (ModCloth) 07/09/2012 at 1:44 pm #

Aw, shucks. And, totally understandable! Happily, we have a batch of short hair tutorials in the works right now… be on the lookout for them later this month!

4. Jennifer 07/09/2012 at 8:13 pm #

Wow, love these! I definitely need to try these out in some upcoming blog outfit posts!

xoxo
    Jennifer

5. Laura @ The Joyful Fox 07/09/2012 at 8:17 pm #

So cute! I’ve been loving the look of retro ponytails lately :)

6. Bonnie 07/10/2012 at 8:02 am #

I was told I was wearing my hair as the runway models do while wearing this simple variant.
    Part hair in middle or a little to one side. Roll hair upward and backward. Add more hair as you go. Fasten with a band at nape of neck. Repeat on other side. Finally cover bands with decorative scrunchie or ribbon. It is elegant and easy.

If you do this while hair is wet, you will have curled hair (like a modified Farrah Fawcett) the next day, further simplifying life.

If you further bring ends of pony tail up and secure under the final scrunchie, your hair will be curled into a flip the next day.

• Jennifer 07/12/2012 at 1:03 pm #

picture?

7. Disa 07/13/2012 at 10:16 am #

i dont like the sporty one

8. Sara 07/13/2012 at 12:14 pm #

These are cute, but I’d also like to figure out some ways to wear ponytails without having to straighten my curly hair.

9. Hilary 07/15/2012 at 11:37 am #

I’m wearing the GO BOHO. I just did a regular braid instead of a french braid. It’s my new do’!

10. Amanda 07/20/2012 at 1:52 pm #

My favorite would have to be the “Go Boho” hairstyle…I like the simplicity of it. One hairdo I like to do, and would be great as a “boho” style is like this: take the top half of your hair and tie it back in a ponytail (the half up, half down kind); then make a little gap in the center just above the twistie and bring the ponytail up and through from the underside…after that, I braid the ponytail, tie it off at the bottom with a second twistie, and remove the first twistie.

• Ruthie 04/22/2013 at 6:46 pm #

Why did I never think of this?! So simple and so cute! Thanks for sharing!

11. Laura K Aiken 07/22/2012 at 2:42 pm #

These ponytails are so fun! I’ll have to try them out. I like the first one the best.