Sure, less can be more when it comes to certain things, such as styling stripes or packing light for a trip abroad. Here, however, we insist you abandon such simplistic practices for the sake of your summertime sweet tooth. Foodie friends, meet your new favorite indulgence: Chocolate Bacon-wrapped Bananas.
Chocolate-dipped Bacon-wrapped Bananas
Inspired by Cap’n Ron’s Bacon-wrapped Bananas
2 large bananas
4 strips thick-sliced bacon, cut in half
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying
1 10-oz. package chocolate chips
8 bamboo sticks
Wax or parchment paper
1. Quarter bananas into pieces the width of the bacon. Wrap bacon around banana pieces and secure with toothpick.
2. Mix brown sugar and Cajun seasoning on plate to create rub. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in frying pan on medium/high heat, then add bacon-wrapped bananas. Fry evenly on each side until bacon is 3/4 of the way cooked.
4. Remove bacon-wrapped bananas from oil. Coat completely with sugar rub, remove toothpicks, then fry again until sugar caramelizes. Remove each, then either serve as is, or continue on to steps 5-8.
5. Place in freezer to cool for 30 minutes.
6. While you wait, melt chocolate chips in double boiler, stirring consistently as needed.
7. Remove bacon-wrapped bananas from freezer, then secure each to bamboo sticks for dipping.
8. Roll pieces in chocolate until covered, then set on wax or parchment paper. Refrigerate immediately until chocolate hardens.
- You may not need to use the entire bag of chocolate chips, depending on how heavily you want to coat your treats.
- Leave one end of the bananas un-fried and bare of chocolate, so your friends can see what’s inside!
- If you’re not dipping them in chocolate, you can opt to grill them. Just make sure to soak your toothpicks and bamboo sticks, so they don’t burn.
Now, go on. Your taste buds are waiting!