Shortcut to Style: 3 Picture-perfect Short Hair Tutorials

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

After we ran our tutorials on formal updos for thick hair and stylebook-inspired hair, many of you asked for tutorials for short crops. So, here we are! Whether you’re gearing up for school portraits or just want to look picture-perfect, these short hair tutorials will ensure that you’ll always be camera-ready.

To achieve Graphic Designer Bree’s vintage-inspired victory roll, you’ll need: A rat-tail teasing comb, a hair clip, a 1-inch curling iron, bobby pins, hairspray, and a flower.

1. Using your comb, start by separating out the hair that will be part of your victory roll.

2. Clip this section of hair out of the way and, using your curling iron, curl the remainder of your hair.

3. Curl the front side section away from your face, spritz all over with hairspray.

4.  Un-clip the front section and, using your curling iron, curl it up and away from your face. It may take a few tries to get all those little pieces curled!

5. – 6. After setting the curl with hairspray, re-curl it using your fingers and hold in place.

7. Decide on placement and pin into place using your bobby pins. Set with hairspray.

8. Gather the front side section of hair, twist, and pin into place.

9. – 10. If you’ll be adding an accessory, like the fresh dahlia we used, pin into place with a bobby pin.

For Head of Employee Programs Rachel’s faux updo, you’ll need: a 1-inch curling iron, a no-slip headband that matches your haircolor, a fine-tooth comb, and hairspray.

1. Using your curling iron, curl all over, being sure to direct the curls away from your face. Spritz with hairspray.

2. Determine the placement of your headband and slip it over the crown of your head, pin into place.

3. Starting from the front section, begin twisting and tucking sections of hair up and over the headband, it should start resembling a crown.

4. Continue twisting and tucking, being sure to fill in any gaps.

5. If you have very short hair in the back, use your comb to hold the hair in place while you blast with hairspray.

6. Set the style with hairspray.

For Fashion Writer Anna’s braided updo, you’ll need: Texturizing balm, mini clear elastics, bobby pins, and hairspray.

1. Start my working a small amount of the balm through dry hair.

2. For Anna’s style we created nine braids total. Start by braiding each side towards the back.

3. Create three braids on either side of your head, and three braids in the back.

4. Secure each braid with a clear elastic.

5. Using your bobby pins, take the three braids from one side and twist them together, pinning in place behind your head.

6. Repeat with the other side, leaving the remaining braids loose.

7. Gather the three remaining braids and bring them up and over where the two gathered sides meet, tuck and pin with bobby pins, being sure to hide the elastics.

Do you rock a short crop? What are your favorite ways to style short hair?

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When she’s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

, , , , ,

28 Responses to Shortcut to Style: 3 Picture-perfect Short Hair Tutorials

1. Kristine 07/23/2012 at 8:44 pm #

The second hairstyle is one of my favourite to do. It’s super easy and as a bonus, if you wrap your hair while it’s slightly damp, you’ll end up with really nice curls when you take the head band off.

2. Emma 07/24/2012 at 9:42 am #

Aw! They are all so cute! Now I want to go chop off all my hair!

• Melissa 07/26/2012 at 5:53 pm #

Don’t, lol. I did and it’s not worth it. I miss my waist long strawberry blonde hair.. :( But yes I love the last two hairstyles!

• Lashel 07/28/2012 at 12:22 pm #

I agree with Melissa! You can get much the same effect with long hair just piling your braids together in back for the braided one or doing a couple nape-of-neck buns with chopsticks (if you’re lazy like I am) or pins and hairspray (if you’re not). My hair’s back down to my waist from 2″ a couple years ago, and I’m STILL annoyed with myself for chopping it! It still feels short. These hairdos are GREAT, though, aren’t they? With med-length hair (Rachel to Anna’s langths) I used to do twists that look like Rachel’s faux updo on the front & side, then cross the ropes like you’re going to tie a knot, then cram 2 hair sticks the length of the rolls into one another… I wish I had pictures to send in of that one!

3. Christina 07/24/2012 at 10:55 am #

Love the faux updo! You would never know a headband was used for this. So clever.

Come check out the White Russian Poptails I made.

Christina

4. Laura (ModCloth) 07/24/2012 at 12:09 pm #

Look at all these cuties! Great tutorials, Julie!

5. Glynis Mitchell 07/25/2012 at 12:05 pm #

Being the flaunter of an Audrey-style pixie cut and a woman who wears almost nothing but vintage, I feel left out from a “short” hair conversation here. These are beautiful, but I just don’t consider shoulder-length to be short hair. In our day, it’s a medium length.

• Lashel 07/28/2012 at 12:28 pm #

Heh: yeah, we need terms for at the bra strap, at the waist (yes, ‘waist-length’), the hips and mid-thighs that don’t sound like you’re being somehow distantly vulgar… my friends use ‘mermaid’ for my hair, but that’s still a huge range. ‘Long’ is very relative!

• cabledcrusaderpatterns 09/12/2012 at 2:57 pm #

Absolutely, I have a pixie cut as well and it is way too short to do any of these styles since they are all for medium length hair. It would be nice to see some styles for actual short hair.

6. Michelle 07/25/2012 at 4:47 pm #

That faux updo is adorable!

I’m also loving the sylist’s outfit. ;) Are those ModCloth pieces?

7. Kerri 07/26/2012 at 12:46 pm #

Agreed with Glynnis…. all beautiful, but not a one of these gals has “short” hair. Short hair won’t braid, or wrap around a curling iron! Let’s try it again, for *short* hair, please.

8. Rachel 07/26/2012 at 4:14 pm #

i think if your hair is extremely short (pixie cut or less) you need to be focusing more of styling your hair rather than creating a ‘hair do’. ive been styling hair for ages and when you have really short hair (cant curt, straighten, etc) the best way to make it exciting is by using wax wax and the such to play with directionality and adding cute hair accessories.

hope this helps out some of the girls who have really short hair, i know it can be a pain at times when you want to try something different lol

9. Amalia 07/26/2012 at 4:26 pm #

Wow, I love those! The third is my favorite. It makes me wish I had longer hair. . . Can you do some for short hair, please?

10. Lexi 07/26/2012 at 5:14 pm #

Thanks… I needed some ideas for short hair, although I’d definitely describe the last one as medium-length. I have an angled bob cut (some chin-length layers in front but it’s VERY short in back)… would love to see some ideas for switching up this hairstyle!

• Rachel 07/26/2012 at 5:36 pm #

You could still do the barrel role like in the first one but just keep the back normal

11. petrifiedtreesap 07/26/2012 at 5:34 pm #

I’m with Glynis and Kerri on this one too. As another girl with a pixie cut, I would love some tips on how to rock a few different looks. While all of the girls pictured have totally cute hair, I really would consider them “short” (#3 is definitely medium length).

12. Jennifer 07/26/2012 at 6:14 pm #

My hair is short and I’m always looking for new ideas and tricks. Thanks!!!

13. Laura 07/26/2012 at 8:54 pm #

These are lovely, but these seem pretty specific for white people. What about those of us with thicker, more “ethnic” hair?

14. Leah 07/28/2012 at 5:26 am #

these are so cool, i use to have hair about chin length but now its kind of a shaggy boy-length hair cut, any cool tips for styling it?

15. Em 07/29/2012 at 2:55 pm #

The last one is beautiful. Can we get a video instead of just pictures though?

16. Joanna 07/30/2012 at 6:28 pm #

Thank you for this! I have short hair that I love but often feel limited by when it comes to styling. The second girl has basically the same cut as me so I can’t wait to try this styled look!

17. Audrey 08/31/2012 at 12:55 pm #

I agree with previous posts that these are not really for short hair (although they’re very pretty). I think what we need are some ideas of hair cuts and not hair dos…

18. Anna Sargent 12/13/2012 at 7:12 pm #

The one with the head band that goes all the way around your head if you sleep in that and apply Mosse before it curls your hair over night

19. Deepti 05/22/2013 at 10:39 pm #

Wow finally I can make my hair look beautiful. Amazing hairstyles. Thanks a ton

20. emmalouise 09/08/2013 at 2:46 am #

Reblogged this on Emma Louise 'Art and commented:
    What I forgot to think about when I chopped off my hair; You have to be so much more creative when styling!

21. unprocessed hair 02/13/2014 at 11:58 pm #

This site was… how do I say it? Relevant!!
    Finally I have found something which helped
    me. Thanks a lot!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Short of It: 5 Updos for Cropped Hair | Latest-Hairstyles.com - 08/23/2013

[…] short hair, but how can you not love the vibrancy of this mane? Anyway, the look was featured at Modcloth’s blog on Graphic Designer Bree and features a rockin’ victory roll, some waves and even a flower. You can forego the flower […]

2. The Short of It: 5 Updos for Cropped Hair | womenstyles.asia - 08/24/2013

[…] short hair, but how can you not love the vibrancy of this mane? Anyway, the look was featured at Modcloth’s blog on Graphic Designer Bree and features a rockin’ victory roll, some waves and even a flower. You can forego the flower if […]