A Tour of Colorado Springs with Smile and Wave

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

Travel Bug: Smile and Wave

Summer is drawing to a close, but there’s still time for one last road trip, no? For our latest edition of Travel Bug, we zipped over to southern Colorado to ask Rachel of Smile and Wave to give us her best tour of Colorado Springs.

Travel Bug: Smile and Wave

Rachel stopped by The Garden of the Gods, a local nature park, to snap her outfit photo! She picked the You Look Migrate Dress, Neighborhood Travel Wedge, and You Look Migrate Sunglasses for her tour outfit.

1. Leechpit Vintage. “Leechpit corners the market on affordable vintage in Colorado Springs, with selections ranging from the ’40s to the ’90s. They also buy and trade, which is a great way to change out my wardrobe without spending a ton. Their record selection is also notable for offering only the best classic rock, punk, and hair bands.”

2. The Penny Arcade. “This spot in Manitou Springs — just west of Old Colorado City — boasts the best vintage arcade games from the ’40s to ’70s as well as the prettiest old photo booth for miles. The building that houses the oldest games has love meters, burlesque viewing machines (hehe), every pinball game you can imagine, and a handful of wizards like the one from the movie Big. Zoltar, anyone? There’s plenty of games for the kids but it’s also a fun date night spot in the evenings with twinkle lights lining the nearby creek that rolls through town, natural springs to drink from, and great custard a few blocks away.”

3. Barracuda Bazaar. “This shop in Old Colorado City aims to please. Their selection of beautiful clothing is both on-trend and affordable, and their vintage decor makes for a truly fun shopping experience.”

4. Shuga’s. “I heard about this place before we moved to town and it’s quickly become our favorite eatery. The hardest choice is whether we should enjoy their sandwiches and the best americanos in town inside, under the aqua paper crane display, or outside, among the mismatched fiberglass chairs and open piano.”

5. Envi. “Located in Old Colorado City right next to Barracuda Bazaar, Envi offers an artistic selection of colorful retail as well as handmade items from local aritsts. The styling of their shop is what will keep me going back. I keep getting ideas for my own home!”

Have you been to Colorado Springs? What would you add to the list?

, , ,

11 Responses to A Tour of Colorado Springs with Smile and Wave

1. Louise Amabilis 08/10/2012 at 7:39 pm #

I so badly want to go and check out all of these places!
    Maybe next summer :(

2. Sarah 08/10/2012 at 8:42 pm #

This sounds like an awesome place! I really want to take a road trip now :)

xoxo Sarah
    theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

3. Dynamite Marie 08/11/2012 at 9:36 am #

Colorado Springs, here I come!

4. Erin Carr (@Staar84) 08/11/2012 at 4:05 pm #

Hey! My hometown! Love Barracuda Bazaar. Great list!

5. Katherine 08/11/2012 at 8:47 pm #

The place with the little blue cranes looks super chic! I wish there was a penny arcade around here too xD

Much Love!!

Katherine
    Scarletprophesy.blogspot.com

6. Jenna Brown (@OrangutanCharm) 08/13/2012 at 8:40 am #

Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City make a pretty neat hole of awesome in the realm of Southern Colorado. If you’re looking for a fabulous trip into uniquely offbeat, check out Boulder and Fort Collins in northern Colorado. I live in FoCO now, and I think that there are more thrift stores per square mile here than in any other town I have lived in. Not to mention the .25 mile strip of flea markets and antique malls on the south end of town.

7. Catherine 08/13/2012 at 1:28 pm #

Such a beautiful tour. Makes me want to go to Colorado Springs! I’ve been to Garden of the Gods and it is truly remarkable.

8. Amanda 08/16/2012 at 8:39 am #

Rachel is so great. Perfect picks for spots.

9. Sarah 08/16/2012 at 12:12 pm #

I live near Colorado Springs & I have been to the garden of the gods & the penny arcade many times since I was a kid!! They are very fun & unique spots! However, the other shops I have not been to… so now I have some new places to visit! Thanks! :)

10. Jamie 08/16/2012 at 2:52 pm #

I live in the springs, and everything I adore has made the list. The only thing I would add is Mount Herman road, it’s a long beautiful drive that will connect you to Rampart Range road and ends in Garden of the Gods. Another notable destination is the small town of Monument on the edge of northern Colorado Springs. Especially Retrospect Dry Goods!

11. Dianne 02/20/2013 at 4:12 pm #

Sadly, Retrospect has closed its store. I think they’ll still sell online, but that’s it. :-(