If you watch nothing else on the internet today, make it this mid-’90s PSA of fifth graders talking about the future of the internet. These miniature oracles predict the nature of the online landscape with creepy accuracy, all the way down to our cultural obsession with cats.

About Jenn

Jenn's first career aspiration was to be a dinosaur. After her kindergarten teacher informed her that couldn't happen, she decided she would be the next best thing: a writer. Aside from writing, Jenn loves chambray shirts, all cacti, and good typography.

, , ,

9 Responses to Watch This Now: Prophetic Fifth Graders from 1995 Predict the Future of the Internet, Get Everything Right

1. Julianne (ModCloth) 08/15/2012 at 11:29 am #

The music in this video is amazing. So is that kid’s bowl cut. “I even found a recipe for cat food cupcakes!”

2. Lindsey 08/15/2012 at 11:29 am #

What a stylish group of prophets! ;)

-Lindsey
    Et tu, tutu?

3. Roni 08/15/2012 at 11:48 am #

I love how the “shouldn’t everybody be on the internet” question at the end gets a very pissed off reaction from the little girl in the glasses, all while saying “YES!” hahaha this was wayyy creepy.

4. Emily (Tar-tryin') 08/15/2012 at 12:19 pm #

The catfood cupcakes girl made me laugh. I was to see this as an SNL sketch!

• Laura (ModCloth) 08/15/2012 at 2:09 pm #

Emily, I am with you there, girl! That part is amazing.

5. Lauren 08/15/2012 at 3:43 pm #

This is so bad that it’s good.

6. Lauren 08/15/2012 at 4:19 pm #

These kids are from my hometown! There is a good chance I may have babysat these prophetic children!

7. Jenny 08/19/2012 at 10:45 pm #

THEY were not predicting anything. They were simply reading from a script provided to them by adults.

8. Victoria / Justice Pirate 08/25/2012 at 11:15 am #

no kids, the internet is bad. don’t do it!!! ha. Oh goodness I was 11 in 1995. I didn’t know what the internet was yet!