Honey, I Shrinky Dinked the Cat: A DIY Necklace

‘Fashionable’ is probably the last word you’d use to describe shrinky dink creations…unless you’re talking about the items made by crafting queen Katie Nolan, a teacher the superbly cool San Francisco DIY school Workshop. In this video, Katie lets the cat out of the bag (quite literally, as you’ll see) on how to take this childhood craft from jejune junk to nifty necklace in a matter of minutes. Click the ‘play’ triangle above, then try to tell us you’re not tempted to shrink dink the days away!

About Hannah

"Q: Where do cantaloupes go for the summer? A: John Cougar Mellon Camp!" From that joke you can surmise a few things about Hannah -- she loves a good pun, she delights in irreverence, and red peppers are her vegetable of choice. How does one figure out Hannah loves red peppers from that joke? Hmm, that's top secret. Hannah also adores outdoor activities, arts & crafts, reading, and being abroad.

, , , ,

17 Responses to Honey, I Shrinky Dinked the Cat: A DIY Necklace

1. Jennifer 08/31/2012 at 1:40 pm #

awesome tutorial! and what a beautiful cat!

2. Elizabeth 08/31/2012 at 4:04 pm #

This is so cool! I need to try it!

• Laura (ModCloth) 09/04/2012 at 12:41 pm #

Well we hope you share your results with us, Elizabeth! It’s so fun to see when readers make their own versions of our DIYs!

3. stylerecycled@mac.com 08/31/2012 at 5:45 pm #

Katie is so cute! So is Frannie! Love this, if yall live in SF she does a class over the Holidays where you can make these in a room of toaster ovens and ooohs and ahhhs<3 xoxo Workshop

4. pacst2 09/01/2012 at 8:25 pm #

This was great! I can’t wait to try it out.

5. Cattie 09/03/2012 at 3:11 pm #

When are the results of the Pinterest contest going to post? :)

6. Lis 09/04/2012 at 10:31 am #

Do you all do ANY charity work…like homeless shelters, battered women, immigrant support charity, children charities, environmental charities….especially animal shelters or abused animal charities. It seems to always be DIY this or DIY that. Making fake cats is cute…but helping abused cats is even better. Just sayin…. Hope you all can look into that some day… =)

• Laura (ModCloth) 09/04/2012 at 12:10 pm #

Hi, Lis!

I’m happy you asked! We actually have a Charitable Giving Committee that coordinates non-profit partnerships and activities for employees, and we’ve covered several of them on the blog here: http://blog.modcloth.com/category/news-contests/behind-the-scenes/charitable-giving-committee/ – feel free to check out the posts!

Do you have any recommendations of other charities to work with? We’re always looking for new folks to partner with (especially ones that favor our beloved pets)!

• Lis 09/05/2012 at 1:02 am #

Thank you for taking the time to respond . I read your article/link you sent. I built a house in Juarez, Mexico , one of the most dangerous cities in the world. It was for a family who lost their farmalnd ( northern mexico) to a corporation who pushed them out. These people had no choice, but to end up working for the corporations/factories at the border. Polluted conditiond, cartels….awful. There are thousands of these starnded ( no place to go) people with small children living in make shift shacks they have built using found objects.

I hope you all do more. Why do I ask? I feel that the youth of today who purchase your items and culture need to open themselves up MORE to these important humanitarian issues. WE live in an age of uncertainty ( economic debt crisis ETC.) and we need to come together now more than ever and help our world. I’m not saying it is all fire and brimstone, but the youth needs to partatke and not wait for the government to “HELP”.

I hope Mod Cloth can continue to inspire and create change in that realm.

I highly recommend looking at GOOD magazine….they are filled with fresh and up to date ideas: http://www.good.is/

warm regards,
        lis

7. Monina 09/04/2012 at 6:19 pm #

Excuse me!
    What is that white powder she puts over the cat?
    Please help!
    Thank you, that was AMAZING , I wanna try out :)

8. Frances 09/05/2012 at 12:05 pm #

Omg! this is amazing, totally trying it.
    Also, her cat has the same name as me :)

9. Jessica 09/06/2012 at 4:41 am #

Best shrink plastic tutorial I’ve seen!

10. Sarah 09/06/2012 at 11:11 pm #

This is great and just what I need to finish up an in-progress project! Do you have any recommendations for the best brands of shrink plastic to use?

11. Kathi Laughs 02/24/2013 at 4:54 pm #

Yeah I was wondering the same thing as Sarah – any recommended brands/types for the shrink plastic? Thanks! Can’t wait to make some. :D

12. Myra 09/14/2013 at 8:23 am #

Still hoping for a response on the recommended brands!