Aspiring designers, sharpen your pencils, put your creative caps on, and start sketching — our Make the Cut Contest is back! And to keep things fresh as the dew on a spring morning, we’re doing things a little differently this time around. Instead of providing you with a theme and inspiration board, we’ve simply selected a single swatch of fabric (the one above) on which you’ll need to base your beautiful designs. The winning piece will then be made from this exact black-and-white, 100% cotton material!
Here’s how it works: We’ll accept submissions until 9:01 a.m. PT on 10/17. After that, we’ll narrow it down to our top twenty picks, which will then be posted for voting on our Facebook fanpage from 12 p.m. PT, 10/25 to 12:00 p.m. PT, 11/1. On 11/12, we’ll announce the fan-chosen champ. The gorgeous winning garment will be part of our spring/summer collection!
And what will that one talented contestant win? For starters, $500! Then, their inspired item will be produced — with their name on the tag — and sold on ModCloth.com.
But, don’t start sketching just yet. First, check out these tips:
Guidelines for the contest:
- Images should be no larger than 5MB.
- Accepted file formats are PDF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, or GIF.
- Please submit scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch on a white/light grey background (low-quality images may be declined).
- The ideal format is vertical with a 3×5 dimension ratio.
- Sketches should clearly highlight only one piece of clothing.
- Submissions may include other items, but please indicate the piece being entered in the contest.
- Entries should be based on the swatch we’ve provided. The winning piece will be available in spring/summer, so your designs should be seasonally appropriate.
- Keep in mind that you’re designing for the ModCloth customer and we’re unlikely to produce couture details or luxury materials.
- We’ll choose 20 pieces based on judging criteria, then post those on Facebook for community voting.
- Before announcing the winner, we’ll double-check that the Facebook votes are legitimate.
- Use of a template is not required, but you may download one of these free online versions here, here, or here.
- If you don’t get a confirmation email after submitting, let us know at email@example.com.
- Sketches do not need to be in color, but it is encouraged to best convey your vision.
And now, on to the rules:
- All entries must be submitted via Submittable.
- No email submissions will be accepted.
- You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 garments.
- Sketches may be submitted up until 9:01 a.m. PT on 10/17.
- Entries will be judged on wearability, marketability, produce-ability, creativity, and how well they fit the ModCloth aesthetic.
- With your submission(s), please include your first & last name as you’d like to see it appear on Facebook for voting and the clothing label, a brief description of your design, and a little about what inspired it or how you’d style it.
- The winner will be announced on 11/12 here on the blog.
- One winning sketch will be chosen, and $500 will be awarded.
- Additional winners may be chosen at the discretion of ModCloth.
- Winning design will be produced and sold on ModCloth.com, and feature designer’s name on the tag.
- Contestants under 18 must have a parent or guardian write a letter of consent, and upload it as an attachment with your entry on Submittable (Example: If you upload five separate sketches, you would then upload your scanned consent as a sixth file).
- Currently, this contest is only open to US citizens and permanent legal residents.
Last, but not least, let’s recap the posh prize: One fan-selected sketch will be produced, with the designer’s name on the tag, and sold on ModCloth. The winning designer will also receive $500, and one of their produced garments! So, check out the swatch above and get started.