The Cutest Cupcakes Ever, Quite Literally

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

Teacupcakes by ModCloth

I’m going to start with a cop-out of a first line here: “A picture tells a thousand words.” And with that, the photo above just wrote this post for me. The end.

But seriously, what can I write that’d trump an image of adorable, tea-flavored cupcakes cooked in teacups? So, steep not in wait; find some oven-safe teacups (I scored mine at the thrift store) and ‘bake’ loose from the constraints of conventional cupcakes!

Tea-flavored Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting
Recipe adapted from Bakingdom

For the Cupcakes:
1/2 cup hot milk
3 black tea bags
2 eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter

1. Prep time! Preheat your oven to 350°F, and grease the insides of your teacups.
2. Steep the tea bags in the hot milk for at least 10 minutes. Let cool.
3. Time for some whisk-y business: Whisk eggs and vanilla into the tea-steeped milk. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add the butter slowly. Beat until well combined.
6. Add half of the milk mixture. Mix until combined.
7. Add the remaining milk mixture. Don’t worry if the batter has some small lumps, and try not to overmix! If you’d like, you can fold in extra black tea leaves.
8. Batter up: Fill each teacup 3/4 the way with batter. Bake for about 18 minutes (this will vary depending on the size and shape of your cups) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a crumb or two clinging to it.
9. Cool it! Let those cupcakes cool completely. Then, frost away!

Teacupcakes by ModCloth

For the Frosting:
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted, room temperature butter
1/2 pounds (~2 cups) confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest

1. Beat the butter on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
2. Oh sugar: Beat in half of the sugar until combined.
3. Aw, honey, honey: Stir in the vanilla and honey.
4. Beat in the remaining sugar.
5. Add the heavy cream, lemon juice, and lemon zest, then whisk rapidly for 6 minutes.

Enjoy your ‘tea’-lightful dessert!

, , , ,

23 Responses to The Cutest Cupcakes Ever, Quite Literally

1. Corrie Kartchner 10/09/2012 at 11:08 am #

Those are so freaking adorable. I can barely stand it.

2. Elizabeth 10/09/2012 at 11:29 am #

I can’t wait to make these!

3. Rebecca 10/09/2012 at 2:50 pm #

Oh my gosh! What a great and beautiful idea. I can’t wait to try it!

4. Lisa 10/09/2012 at 5:00 pm #

Thanks Hannah! Any idea how many this makes?

• Hannah (ModCloth) 10/09/2012 at 6:13 pm #

Hi, Lisa! I was able to fill six of the pictured cups (which are about the size of a 1/2 cup in volume) and had enough batter for two more cupcakes of the same size. Hope this helps!

5. Rezzy Cavalheiro 10/09/2012 at 10:15 pm #

Can it be done with different tea flavors? Like green or even herb tea?

• Hannah (ModCloth) 10/10/2012 at 10:20 am #

Don’t see why not, Rezzy! I think that sounds delicious. Let me know what you end up concocting!

6. Nicola 10/09/2012 at 11:34 pm #

I have some silicone cups and saucers precisely for this purpose! I think I shall make some for my frocktober high tea

7. Darla Grant-Braid 10/10/2012 at 12:32 pm #

Are all teacups oven-ready or should I look for something specific?

• Hannah (ModCloth) 10/10/2012 at 3:24 pm #

Hiya, Darla! You’ll need to look for teacups marked as “oven safe” on the bottom. Mine, in particular say “Dishwasher and microwave oven safe” and they did just fine in the actual oven. It takes a bit more digging, but it’s worthwhile!

8. Sums 10/10/2012 at 1:26 pm #

I tried this with earl grey tea and lemon frosting! It was delicious!

• Hannah (ModCloth) 10/10/2012 at 3:24 pm #

Sounds amazing. I’ll have to try that next time!

9. Ginger-Vee Carter 10/11/2012 at 8:19 am #

so cute…I want to eat them all.
    about to make some more now…yummy

10. Kelly 10/11/2012 at 6:48 pm #

Oh my lord! These are so gorgeous!! I am soooo going to make these – I’ve got so many teacups I don’t know what to do with them! Thank you ! Kelly xx

11. Sassy Lemonade 10/14/2012 at 3:06 pm #

I have to make these and get those adorable cups!

12. Annie 10/24/2012 at 6:21 pm #

I made these with a rose almond black tea and lemon frosting and they were incredible! The second time I made these I replaced regular milk with vanilla sweetened soy milk and it gave it an incredible texture!

• Hannah (ModCloth) 10/25/2012 at 1:10 pm #

Oooh, you’re making me hungry! That sounds amazing. Will have to try that soy milk tip for next time I make these.

13. Elaine Dowling 10/25/2012 at 9:32 pm #

This is why I love the ModCloth blog — where smart, creative women go to think out loud and share what makes life fun! I’m going to make these for the next get-together with my ballet dancer friends. We’re tea-drinkers and love sweets in small doses. And I love, love, love the idea of a reason to collect vintage teacups! Thanks, Hannah!

• Hannah (ModCloth) 10/26/2012 at 2:25 pm #

Thanks for a smile-worthy comment, Elaine! Enjoy your tea and tea-cupcakes!

14. Sway 11/06/2012 at 7:32 am #

Oh I adore this!! I’m having a ‘Granny’ party (teaching my friends how to make granny squares!) next weekend and these will be absolute PERFECTION to add to the goodies being served! Thank you so much for sharing! x

15. marcy 11/08/2012 at 2:53 pm #

kool

16. NikkiP 11/21/2012 at 2:06 pm #

I made these last night, although I opted for regular cupcake papers instead of tea cups, and switched out the black tea for earl grey… and i topped it with lavender frosting instead of the lemon. Very cute idea but I’ve gotta tell you, I followed the directions to the “tea” besides my adaptations and they came out very dry. Very dry and crumbly. Maybe there was too much flour in my 1 1/2 cups, maybe if it was by weight it wouldn’t have varied. They taste good but I am a bit disappointed; especially because I was up until midnight making these for my work.

On the plus side, I like that the batter made exactly 12 cupcakes, I didn’t have any spares.

17. Heather Davenport 04/27/2013 at 10:56 am #

This recipe is awesome! I just made it, but I used chai tea instead of straight black tea. So good! definitely try it