Kicking it in Perth with Vintage Valley

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

While some of us are kicking into cool weather-mode, many of our far-away fans and fellow bloggers are amped up for warmer months! Here, Ally of Vintage Valley takes us on a tour of her hometown, Perth, a lesser-known-but-equally awesome Australian city that’s especially enjoyable this time of year!

“Perth is a city that hosts an abundance of hidden treasures,” says Ally. “There’s nothing better than spending your weekend finding that new bake shop, or having the best coffee of your life in a cafe that you always seemed to pass by. We have an amazing vintage scene here in Perth – from antique shops and retro housewares, to swing dancing and markets. I hope you enjoy my little tour of a few places I love in my city.”

Above, Ally pairs the Sea Shanty Singing Dress with the colorful Sweet on Sweet Heel and Retro Rosie Earrings in Banana

1. Sherbet“I will warn you now – if you have a sweet tooth like me, and love cupcakes, I will not be held responsible for the guilt you may feel after stuffing yourself silly at Sherbet. They are the best bake shop around not only because their décor is exactly how I would like my kitchen to look, but they never… never… skimp on the icing! If you’re in the Maylands area, pop in and say ‘hi’ to the amazing staff. They make you feel a little better about hovering over the counter mumbling, ‘Chocolate, wait no! Vanilla! Okay, ummm, I’ll take them all!’”

2. Mo Mo’s. “If I could offer you one piece of advice when visiting Perth, it’s to visit Mo Mo’s! Located on Beaufort street in Mt. Lawley, they have the most delicious range of vintage, and it is almost too much to wrap your head around! On a Saturday, I will usually be found there surrounded by vintage bliss!”

3. Hyde Park. “This inner-city park is truly a magical place to picnic, walk the pups, or just park-dwell. The large Moreton Bay Fig trees make you feel like you’re surrounded by years of history and are often used by couples on photoshoots, or as hiding places during hide-and-seek by groups of children. This particular park is an escape for me. I bring a good book and soft rug, and while away the hours until the chill of dusk comes.”

4. sidney LOVES audrey. “The most adorable home, gift, and coffee shop you will ever find in West Perth! You instantly feel at home and you’ll want to plonk yourself down in a crushed-velvet vintage chair whilst sipping on amazing coffee, keeping a mental checklist of pretty purchases before you die and go to cuteness heaven. The super-stylish ladies who run the shop bake all their goodies daily and make you feel like you’re chatting with an old friend! If you’re on the hunt for striped straws, funky clocks, or paper robots, this is the place for you.”

Thanks for all your tips, Ally!

Laura Vrcek

About Laura

With a passion for events, interviews, and her pet aloe plants, Laura strives to live in a world where writing poetry evokes celebrity status. When she's not planning her apartment's next face-lift, she's either befriending strangers or admiring maps. She has an MFA in Creative Writing, is a member of ModCloth's Charitable Giving Committee, and is an avid appreciator of funky hairstyles and too-hot sauces.

, , , ,

23 Responses to Kicking it in Perth with Vintage Valley

1. Chelsey 10/10/2012 at 7:19 am #

I studied abroad in Australia in Perth at Murdoch University. I loved it so much. I wish I could go back.

2. Sammi 10/10/2012 at 8:37 am #

Ahhh, this is crazy!
    I live in Perth and when I travel people are like, “Sorry, where do you come from?”
    And I love all these places. Thanks for the shares! xx

3. Jennifer 10/10/2012 at 2:56 pm #

Man! I wish I had seen this before I visited a few years ago!

4. Jennifer 10/10/2012 at 2:57 pm #

Man! I wish I had seen this before I visited a couple of years ago!

5. felicitanestler 10/10/2012 at 3:31 pm #

Ummm awesome! perfect timing for this article- I am going to perth for a wedding in just a few weeks and boy oh boy do I love cupcakeries!! I am super swell excited!

• Ally_Vintage Valley 10/10/2012 at 7:37 pm #

Super perfect timing!! I hope you have an amazing time while here in Perth. xx

6. Olivia 10/10/2012 at 6:45 pm #

Ooh I love Sherbet! Kind of funny, but the head on the bottom right of the photo looks like my mum! We must have been there that day.

• Ally_Vintage Valley 10/10/2012 at 7:34 pm #

If it was how funny would that be :) i love Sherbet too!! Sooo much deliciousness!! xx

7. sparklesness 10/10/2012 at 9:01 pm #

I walk past sherbert most mornings on the way to the train station. It smells (and tastes delightful).

3 new vintage shops have just opened up on that street too. I love my town.

8. Leanne Dominguez 10/10/2012 at 10:38 pm #

SO excited to hear ModCloth is in Perth – luv luv your stock….if only you brought some stock for a pop-up store! :)

9. Ann 10/10/2012 at 11:42 pm #

I live in Perth too… love this post! Thanks Ally for the share.

10. Rachel 10/11/2012 at 1:53 am #

Aww, I loved waking up to an email from ModCloth including a feature about my beautiful little City, Perth! Thanks for sharing your favourite places Ally – I haven’t actually been to Sherbert or Mo Mo’s and cannot for the life of me understand why! Cupcakes & vintage & too much cuteness – I can assure you I will be visiting soon.

11. Olivia 10/11/2012 at 5:19 am #

@Ally just showed mum the picture, we both agree it’s her! haha
    Ohhh Sherbet’s baked goods are delicious! My favourite is the coconut layer cake. Ever had that? The meringues on top! Yummy :)

• Ally_VintageValley 10/12/2012 at 4:38 am #

Omgosh! Thats awesome haha! I remember there being a group of people sitting there (you were all probably thinking what is that weird woman doing taking photos haha) omg that cake sounds delis i will have to have that next time!! xx

12. Marie McGrath 10/11/2012 at 9:39 am #

Soooo cute! Everything she does is adorable. I also live in a country that is not going into Fall right now (just hot and humid weather here in Panama) so its nice to see some summery photos. Love the dress she is wearing!

13. Pia 10/11/2012 at 6:11 pm #

How delightful to see my hometown featured in a Modcloth article! I love Perth and always will!

14. Kara 10/13/2012 at 7:45 am #

I’m so excited to see this post – we moved to Perth last year from the USA and I’ve been struggling to find the vintage shops like those I left behind. Thanks for introducing me to Mo Mo’s – definitely on my to do list! Your blog is lovely, Ally and it’s amazing to know there are other vintage lovers in Perth. =)

15. Jean 10/19/2012 at 5:29 am #

Yay Perth :P I never knew some of these places even existed! *blushes* but I’m glad it is now on a Modcloth article! haha

16. Jacinta Grando 10/30/2012 at 9:54 pm #

Wow, I’m going to have to venture to Beaufort again – Mo Mo’s look amazing. I’m a big fan of Miss Brown (it’s in 140 William), and some of the Freo vintage spots but that store looks like heaven. SO glad to see the hometown represented.

17. Tany Monteiro 10/31/2012 at 5:59 pm #

I am a fan of everything Australian related so I know Perth for such a long time but seing those reviews and tips of what might be interesting in the city makes me wanna visit Australia, and Perth, more than ever!

18. Kristian 11/03/2012 at 9:40 am #

Thanks for showing us around!

19. Sway 11/06/2012 at 7:29 am #

Love this tour – I can’t wait to get my butt to the other side of Oz, and even more so now that I have seen all of these amazing places to visit! Thanks for sharing!!
    xx