Best Tressed: Holiday Hair with Flair for the Short-haired Set

Short hair styling by ModCloth

As the holidays draw near and those festive fete invitations start rolling in, have your thoughts turned to your hair and how to wear it this holiday season? If you’re coming up short on quick and easy ways to wrangle your mop, never fear, we’re here to help! Over the next few weeks we’ll show you how to add a pinch of pizazz to your look — whether your hair is closely cropped, more on the medium side, or of longer lengths.

You might remember ModEmployee Anna from our last short hair post, and your eyes do not deceive you — she has a brand new gamine ‘do! If you’re rocking a pixie cut like Anna, the trick to changing up your look is playing with product and adding accessories. Here’s how to achieve Anna’s tousled tresses…

Short hair styling by ModCloth

1. Start by curling all over with a 1/2-inch curling iron.

2. For the back sections, curl as much as you can with the curling iron directed in, towards your head.

3. Emulsify a small amount of your favorite pomade or styling cream between your hands.

4. Adding a small amount of product at a time, work the styling cream throughout your hair, playing with direction as you go.

5. Once you’ve achieved the desired look, spritz with light-hold hairspray to set. We finished Anna’s look by adding the eye-catching Work of Art Deco Earrings, and wrapping the Adding Awe Stole around her shoulders.

Stay tuned, next Monday we’ll roll out a medium-length hairstyle that’s holiday ready!

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950’s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When she’s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

, , , , ,

14 Responses to Best Tressed: Holiday Hair with Flair for the Short-haired Set

1. Corrie Kartchner 12/03/2012 at 7:11 am #

I don’t have short hair anymore. DANGIT!

2. Suzanne 12/03/2012 at 11:54 am #

My pixie looks like this naturally! But LOVE that you are featuring pixie styles! Looking forward to more hair tutorials in the future! :D

3. marybeth 12/03/2012 at 5:28 pm #

more pixie styles please!

4. Samantha 12/03/2012 at 5:35 pm #

More pixie styles would be much appreciated! I’d love to add some variety into my hairstyles.

5. eftsoons 12/03/2012 at 11:57 pm #

Thanks so much for featuring a pixie style! I’d love to see more. Anna’s cut looks a fair bit like mine (nice one, Anna!) so it’s neat to see that it’s even possible to curl it. I didn’t consider that possibility (packed away most of my hair doodads when I got the cut). Specifically, any suggestions beyond headbands (which I love rocking right now) for every day (so not fussy and easy to adjust through the day – would prefer without hairspray) as well as for evening/parties (I would consider this one an evening/occasion look since it takes more effort) would be much appreciated.

• eftsoons 12/04/2012 at 12:04 am #

Also, a request please for how to wear hats with a pixie cut! I look like I have no hair or am trying to cover a bad hair day with most of my beanies, slouchy hats, and other winter wear :(

• Elle 01/03/2014 at 11:27 pm #

I have short hair, and I wear beanies all the time! My trick is to wear them back on the head, so the front band of the hat falls approximately 1/2 inch behind my hairline. This allows even sideswept bangs to be prominent and feminine, but doesn’t push the hat so far back it falls off. I do have bangs, so that helps!

Also, beanies with thicker wool will hold their shape better for us pixies. If a hat is too thin, it tends to hang off the back of my head like a deflated balloon! My favorite beanie is a thick grey wool that retains some volume in the back to get that great slouchy look!

• Gaby 12/19/2012 at 2:49 pm #

On the hats thing: Cloche hats! They were basically made to go with short hair. Also, if you have bangs and let them show in the front, it pretty much alleviates the “no hair” thing. As a collector of hats as well as a pixie cut person, I think just wearing hats that are clearly for style, and wearing them confidently, helps. I also wear bowlers, newsboy caps, and fedoras a lot. Also if you’re just looking to keep your head warm, earmuffs are a cute option. Bold and/or brightly colored makes it look intentional!

• eftsoons 12/19/2012 at 9:59 pm #

Ooh, good tips! Thanks! I’ve been pretty happy with earmuffs in this unusually cold San Francisco weather, but I do still need to wear hats for warmth sometimes. I will try wearing beanies and other warmth hats slightly differently than I’m used to to show I still have hair. It’s pretty much as short as a pixie can be without being a buzz cut so showing what little “bangs” I have is a challenge, but one I shall attempt! Nice call on the fedora. Now I have an excuse to get one…

• Kathy S. 10/28/2013 at 6:33 pm #

I recently cut my hair short and was concerned about the no-hair look when wearing a hat. Thanks for the suggestion about cloche hats. That could work!

6. Rachel 12/04/2012 at 2:36 pm #

Very happy to see short hair gettin’ some love!

7. Alexis 12/19/2012 at 11:50 am #

Short hair tutorials?! FINALLY. :) I do this look with my asymmetrical bob a lot. Love it.

8. Y 04/04/2013 at 6:48 pm #

Thank you for showing a short hair tutorial! Very few people do cute ones. Please do a tutorial on short, but not pixie-cut short, hair in the future!

9. Hannah 08/12/2013 at 3:46 pm #

Thanks so much, this is awesome! I just recently cut all my long, flowing, dark brunette locks off into a cute little pixie – and its the best thing I’ve ever done! I love it but its so nice to have ideas on how to switch it up like this. Keep the pixie tutorials going!