Meet Chastity of Garner Style

bom_garnerstyle_main

If you haven’t heard of Chastity‘s blog, Garner Style, you’re in for a treat. It’s a go-to destination for the latest in curvy-girl fashion, and you’re bound to find a new clothes you’ll want to add to your wishlist. Plus, Chastity has awesome style, with her penchant for leopard print and a knack for rocking daring and sassy ensembles. So, if you love her looks, you’ll be just as smitten with her namesake dress, which boasts the same fabulous style as her blog. Be sure to peek at all of Chastity’s ModCloth faves and hear about how she’s fashioned herself into an online style guru.

bom_garnerstyle_collage4

What blogs do you read for inspiration?
I read Advanced Style and The Man Repeller. I love that The Man Repeller is geared to the non-sexual form of fashion. Advanced Style showcases people who, in our society, aren’t usually considered fashionable or beautiful.  Advanced Style defies both of the notions. Beside that message being close to my heart, the style is amazing.

You’ve published a book — The Curvy Girl ‘s Guide to Style. Tell us a little bit about the book!
My book was an introductory style guide for the plus-size woman. It really touched just on the basics. The book speaks on shapewear, body types, staple pieces, and much more. It’s all done with the woman over a size 12 in mind. I am actually in the process of writing book two, which will be more of a visual style guide. I also keep up with my fellow fatshion bloggers including, The Curvy Fashionista, GabiFresh, From the Rez to the City, and Stylish Curves. I love to see their different takes on fashion.

bom_garnerstyle_collage1

When you ‘re not blogging, how do you spend your time? Do you blog full-time?
Lately, I’ve been doing a lot of traveling. Other than that, I’m pretty much a homebody that enjoys spending time with my husband and my wonder dog, Sugar. I do blog full-time. Blogging has allowed me to develop my own career in fashion. I style individual clients and photo shoots, work as a buyer for indie boutiques, and lend myself to magazines and sites so that I can compose fashion editorials for them.

You’re a Southern girl through and through, originally from Georgia and now calling Texas home. Do you think living in the South impacts your style?
Yes! I love pearls. I have them in all sizes, lengths, and color variations. I didn’t even realize how Southern that was until my Northern bestie introduced me to her friends, saying, “This is my best friend, she’s so Southern, she wear pearls and everything.” In addition, people in the South are fearless when it comes to fashion. Good or bad, they are fearless. I draw from that fearlessness.

bom_garnerstyle_collage2

We’re in the heart of winter right now, but are there any trends for spring that you ‘re just dying to wear?
I heard that neon will be doing another round this year. I really want to get my hands on a neon hot pink dress. I hope to see peekaboo sheer tops done in plus sizes, too. Oh, and I am looking forward to white-and-black geometric print looks.

You ‘re always in the know when it comes to new clothing lines and boutique openings. What ‘s your best resource for learning what ‘s next?
Fortunately, I’ve been a blogger for some time now. Designers and boutiques reach out to me all the time; I think it’s because I am such a patron and supporter of the indie scene. When plus-size women talk with their wallets, we get more places wanting to cater to us. Also, as a full-time blogger, I also feel like it’s my job to know what’s on the horizon and to give my readers more options to choose from. I use social media as my research tool and generally tend to come across a lot of new lines that way.

bom_garnerstyle_collage3

You’re a self-proclaimed lover of leopard print. Any tips for styling leopard print?
Start off small. Try a leopard clutch or a pair of pumps. I know a lot of women have issues with how to “match” leopard in their outfit with other colors. I tell them to think of leopard like the color black and then bring in other colors that way. It can be worn with almost any jewel tone. You would be surprised how many things you can wear leopard with.

Speaking of which, Chastity showed us how she’d style up her striking leopard-accented namesake dress. How would you wear this bombshell-worthy piece?

bom_garnerstyle_namesakedress

Chastity styled up a sassy ensemble with the Garner Style Dress as the focal point. Accessories included: the Just the Way I Glam Heel, What I Amethyst Bag, Line and Dine Tights, Emerald Island Earrings, and the Rock the Mic Pin.

About Turi

Turi likes trying exotic food, exploring new places and, of course, writing. When she's not writing for ModCloth, she's working on a novel (aren't we all?!) and finishing up her MFA in fiction writing at the University of Pittsburgh.

, ,

13 Responses to Meet Chastity of Garner Style

1. Kailey 12/19/2012 at 5:10 pm #

Gorgeous!

2. shana 12/28/2012 at 11:22 am #

i hate how the word “curvy” has been co-opted to mean “plus-size.” i’ve always described myself as curvy, because i have an hourglass figure, but i’m not fat. now i have to come up with a different word, because curvy has pretty much become a euphemism for overweight. :(

• Danger 01/08/2013 at 10:54 am #

I actually agree. I’m “curvy” but I’m a size 2-3 at 5’6 and I weight 113 lbs. It’s definitely a body shape and shouldn’t have to have anything to do with weight, but I don’t like how it’s been hijacked by the plus sized girls to mean “overweight”. Now it just a nicer way of saying you are fat. This girl actually is more pear-shaped than hourglass to me. Plus-sized and curvy are not the same thing. But a person can certainly be both.

• Murphy 01/08/2013 at 3:13 pm #

Huh. Strange. I’m a size 14, and I’m not fat… funny that you all are jumping to the conclusion that’s what reclaiming “curvy” really means. Disappointing, too, to see this.

We’re trying to remind people that plus-size curvy women aren’t simply “fat”. It’s a shame that not feeling fairly represented as a “petite curvy girl” has resulted in you calling the rest of us fat. Surely you didn’t mean to be offensive, right?…

• Raen 01/10/2013 at 9:23 am #

Wow, how shallow of the both of you. She clearly has curves. How do you figure that when she is called curvy it automatically refers to her weight? I’m with Murphy on this one, I am disappointed. Your intentions are clear, you are discriminating against plus size women as if they are inferior to you, but what you didn’t intend to do is show how low your self esteem is by tearing others down to make yourself feel better. Way to go guys!

• shana 01/10/2013 at 3:34 pm #

actually, i agree that curvy SHOULD refer to a shape, not a size. but these days, it does mean plus-size. look at the blogs referenced, and see if you can find anyone under a size 14. you won’t. because curvy doesn’t mean curvy-shaped anymore, it means plus-size. i’m not discriminating against anyone. i think chastity is beautiful and fashionable and it’s wonderful how confident she is. it’s not “in my mind” that curvy means overweight, it’s in society as a whole. “How do you figure that when she is called curvy it automatically refers to her weight?” because that’s how she, and the other “curvy”-themed bloggers referenced here, mean it. i don’t think they are inferior to me. i just don’t like that they use a word that is not exactly accurate, and if they want a kinder word to describe their size, they should come up with something new. danger, thank you for your supportive reply, even though it put you in the line of fire with me! and murphy, i totally agree with you that designers need to remember we’re not all stick people! it is soo hard for me to find clothes that are big enough for my boobs AND small enough for my waist. button-down shirts? an impossibility unless i want to look like a tent or give a peep-show. but please everyone, don’t put words into my mouth or thoughts into my head. i was complaining about a semantic issue, not about fashionable ladies of a certain size. thank you.

3. Lady 12/29/2012 at 12:43 pm #

Love the looks and am delighted to see this feature.

On another note…Curvy is a word to describe a SHAPE not a weight. This woman is clearly large but she is very shapely. Ms. Shana, you are still curvy and if that, in your mind equates to being fat, you have a problem.

4. Murphy 12/30/2012 at 4:12 pm #

The more women of different sizes call themselves curvy, the better, Lady and Shana — it’s often CUT that is the problem with clothing for women, not just size. When designers remember that women of all sizes can be curvy, that should hopefully inspire designers to think outside the “sample shape.”

BTW — i simply have to have Chastity’s “Not Photo Shopped” tee! Awesome!

• Emily 01/11/2013 at 1:27 pm #

YES! The shape of the garment has so much to do with the shape of a lady. I’m ashamed of how long it took me to figure this out, but once I did people starting asking if I lost weight. Nope. Just learned how to dress my shape!

I hate how guys fixate over the numeral weight of a woman. I have a seriously large dog and people are constant asking who weighs more; I always laugh and tell them that I have about 20 pounds on him. They’re eyes bug out “NOOOO WAY! well, I wouldn’t worry about it…I mean, you don’t look like you do.” Just once I’d like to fire back “Gee, thanks assholes, for purely focusing on the numeral figure of the weight and not my actual physical features. Because the fact that I have incredibly muscular legs, ‘child bearing hips’ (I live in the south, I can totally say that), and healthy breasts couldn’t possibly account for the fact that my numeral weight is higher than you expected.” It’s like they expect our curves to be filled with air.

As for the blogger, she seems adorable. I love it when women embrace their curves!

5. Kati 01/17/2013 at 9:57 am #

But every since “curvy” blogger she linked IS curvy, so what does it matter if they’re plus sized, too? Also, she is looking for inspiration from other women built like her. I look for inspiration from women built like me, too. Go start a “curvy” blog of your own for petite curvy women, if that’s your issue.

I think Chastity rocks all of these looks, so good on her.

6. Jenn 06/27/2013 at 2:08 pm #

I think simply put curvy can describe any women despite size. If they got the curves then they’re curvy. Simple as that. I’m a small size and I don’t see why anyone would be bothered by a girl of a bigger size to be considered curvy. If people don’t understand the term we should inform not be sad and find another word simply because this one was “taken away”, not that the word has ever belonged to anyone.