Meet Kate of Scathingly Brilliant

ModCloth Blogger of the Moment: Scathingly Brilliant

Kate of Scathingly Brilliant’s style is fit for a pastel princess. Her outfit photos are often taken in front of her heavenly-hued workstation, which pairs perfectly with her candy-colored hair and feminine frocks. When she’s not snapping outfit pics, she’s doodling adorable drawings, which she sells online. We caught up with her to learn more about her tastes, her artwork, and other fun facts. She also picked out her fave ModCloth pieces that will help you get her lovely look, but you can start by nabbing her namesake dress.

scathingly-brilliant-newcollage

What blogs do you read for inspiration?
Oh, there are so many that I love! My absolute favorites would probably be All This Happiness, Yours Truly, The Dainty Squid, Miss Indie, Vixen Vintage, Love Elycia, and my best friend Amber’s blog, Laughing with Broken Eyes. They are all very inspiring to me, but more importantly, I think they are all super sweet ladies.

What’s the story behind the name of your blog?
One of my favorite movies growing up was The Trouble with Angels, with Hayley Mills. Her character gets into all kinds of trouble, and before announcing her devious plans to her partner in crime, she always says, “I’ve got the most scathingly brilliant idea!” My own ideas tended towards kooky rather than devious, but my mom always called them “scathingly brilliant” nonetheless.

scathingly-brilliant-collage3

You actually have a second blog, Flapper Doodle. Can you tell us a little bit about that, too?
Flapper Doodle is a companion blog to my Etsy shop, where I sell my doodles and things with my doodles printed on them, like jewelry and stationery. I post updates about products and drawings, sales, and new animations. I don’t update it as frequently as I should, but it’s nice to have a record of everything I’ve created, including long-gone products that I wouldn’t even remember if I hadn’t documented them there.

How did you get started working as a full-time illustrator?
Completely by accident! Up until 2009 I made my living selling art pun paintings at galleries and outdoor art festivals. Then, in 2009, I uploaded a little pen and ink doodle of some flappers riding a bicycle on Flickr, and someone messaged me asking if they could buy a print. I listed it on Etsy and the rest is history. I have been so incredibly lucky. Words can’t even describe how thankful I am that I get to do what I love for a living!

ModCloth Blogger of the Moment: Scathingly Brilliant

You’ve said you really love potatoes. What would you say your favorite preparation is?
I do! They’ve always been my favorite food. I remember in second grade we had Breakfast Day, where everyone had to bring in their breakfast to eat in class. Most kids had Pop Tarts and waffles, and I had a baked sweet potato. As much as I love concocting all kinds of potato recipes, a simple baked one with a little salt is still my favorite. A close second, though, would be roasted potatoes with honey mustard and paprika. Yum!

ModCloth Blogger of the Moment: Scathingly Brilliant

As a self-proclaimed ’60s film fanatic, which movie is your fave?
My absolute favorite movie is Sunday in New York with Jane Fonda. I’ve seen it a bazillion times and I quote it incessantly. It’s a silly little comedy, but it resonated with me in a way I can’t explain. Close contenders would be Darling and Doctor Zhivago (I’m a huge Julie Christie fan!) and How to Steal a Million with Audrey Hepburn. That was the first classic film I ever saw, and the one that got me hooked!

Kate opted to style her feminine namesake frock for a foray to the natural history museum. We love how she paired it with the oh-so-appropriate Dino Might Necklace and dressed it down with the Tied with a Bow Belt, I Lilac It Like That Bag, the Flawless Frolic Flat, and the Cut and Pastel Cardigan.

ModCloth Blogger of the Moment: Scathingly Brilliant

How would you style the Scathingly Brilliant Dress? Peruse Kate’s faves here.

About Turi

Turi likes trying exotic food, exploring new places and, of course, writing. When she's not writing for ModCloth, she's working on a novel (aren't we all?!) and finishing up her MFA in fiction writing at the University of Pittsburgh.

, , , ,

23 Responses to Meet Kate of Scathingly Brilliant

1. ModChristen D. 01/16/2013 at 11:13 am #

How adorable Kate is! I watched The Trouble With Angels on a dysfunctional VHS countless times growing up and actually completely forgot the movie existed until now…I can’t wait to go watch it again!

2. Emma 01/16/2013 at 11:17 am #

I love her blog! She looks so cute and classy all the time!

3. Millie 01/16/2013 at 11:28 am #

Brilliant and lovely, Kate and her blog are two of my favorite things!

4. Stephanie 01/16/2013 at 11:51 am #

About freakin’ time! Kate is one of my favorite bloggers ever. I am so happy for her to finally have been chosen as ModCloth’s blogger of the moment… a very well deserved honour :)

5. Yvette Adams 01/16/2013 at 12:36 pm #

What gorgeous style!!! I love it all. And I instantly thought of Hayley Mills when I read “Scathingly Brilliant” LOL.

6. soanthro 01/16/2013 at 1:37 pm #

LOVE Kate’s style, have been following her for ages! Love the new Scathingly Brilliant Dress!

7. sydney malain 01/16/2013 at 1:38 pm #

So beautiful and classy. She’s funky and unique but still is very feminine.

8. Draped in Cloudlets 01/16/2013 at 2:10 pm #

She’s lovely and the dress as well. And I’m obviously totally in love with her clouds dress :-)

9. Et tu, tutu? 01/16/2013 at 2:42 pm #

Congratulations, Kate! I love her blog. :)

10. Danielle 01/16/2013 at 4:56 pm #

Sooooo jazzed for Kate, she was made for this! ;) Her outfits are my favorites of any blogger pretty much ever. Beautiful dress for a beautiful girl!

11. Suzanne 01/16/2013 at 6:30 pm #

Best blog ever! So glad to finally see her on here :D

12. Sue 01/16/2013 at 10:09 pm #

II just got a sweater clip from her shop for Christmas and I can’t wait to wear it!
    I love her yellow hat!

13. Laura (ModCloth) 01/17/2013 at 3:08 pm #

I am obsessed with the images of Kate and her workspace in this post! This is going to sound absolutely weird, but viewing them is like walking face-first into the best cupcake you’ve ever tasted. The pastels are so enamoring!

14. Roni 01/21/2013 at 12:14 pm #

I have always been a fan of Kate’s perfectly pastel blog :) It’s very nice to see her recognized by ModCloth–she totally deserves this!

15. Kaleigh 01/22/2013 at 7:17 am #

Yay, Kate! So glad to see you as the featured blogger… it does seem like a natural place to feature you! Congrats, and I’m excited to take a peek at your ModCloth picks!

16. jules 01/23/2013 at 6:59 pm #

i would commit all kinds of heinous crimes to own that cloud print dress. it is seriously haunting my daily life.

17. Kellie 01/23/2013 at 8:43 pm #

Love the feature, Kate! Congratulations – your blog always makes me smile:)

18. Amy 01/24/2013 at 7:21 am #

Love her Flapper Doodle drawings. I first saw them on Etsy and fell in love with them. I love Flapper anything, but her drawings are really adorable.
    Love her style too.

19. flappergirlcreations 01/24/2013 at 6:29 pm #

Kate is so lovely and awesome and I’m so excited you guys featured her! Scathingly Brilliant is one of my very favorite blogs ever!

xoxo
    Christine

20. Nico 01/29/2013 at 10:28 pm #

I love love love love her cloud dress.

21. Late Greats 02/06/2013 at 10:30 am #

I love potatoes too! And everything else featured in this blog post. Quirky full time illustrator with a cute cat and a fantastic imagination is what I strive to achieve :)

22. Eliza 02/07/2013 at 3:49 pm #

Oh I love Kate Gabrielle! I have been following her blog for a long time now, and I am so very happy that she is the featured blogger. Great pick, Moddies!

xoxo.