Nail Klub: Prove Your ‘Metal’ with Our Nail Foil Tutorial!

The ladies of Nail Klub have long been lured in by the luster of nail foils. As simple as a nail sticker and available in a huge variety of metallic, iridescent, and sparkly designs, nail foils are a fast way to add a huge dose of dazzle to your look.

We found our foils and the special, pearlescent glue used to apply them by doing a quick online search.  The foil came in a long strip — sort of like a tiny roll of wrapping paper. After painting a nail with glue and cutting a piece of the strip to size, it only took a few seconds to transfer the shimmering design. Get all the details in the tutorial below, and let us know what nail techniques you’re eager to try in the comments!

anna

About Anna

Anna's the kind of don't-take-yourself-too-seriously gal who can spend an evening at Monday Night Raw and then turn around and write about nail designs and glitter with just as much sincere, unadulterated delight. She's a firm believer in cats' ability to see ghosts, the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the fact that if she wishes enough, she'll never have to iron again.

, , ,

17 Responses to Nail Klub: Prove Your ‘Metal’ with Our Nail Foil Tutorial!

1. Dorien Dooms 01/18/2013 at 12:40 pm #

This is awesome! Definitely want to try this now.

2. veronica c 01/18/2013 at 1:52 pm #

I just went to dollarnailart.com and bought a few kits and single foils thanks to this tutorial! not pricey and seems super easy, thanks modcloth :)

• Amie 01/24/2013 at 3:21 pm #

me too (they have the GORGEOUS pattern shown above)… except they have a $25 minimum before shipping. Soooo… I bought more than 20 foils, plus adhesive. O_o what is wrong with me; I have no restraint whatsoever

• veronica c 01/31/2013 at 7:33 pm #

@Amie – I know!!! I didn’t even realize they had a shipping limit because I guess I had already spent well over that!! LOL

3. Ricky Berger 01/18/2013 at 5:14 pm #

Wow gorgeous!

4. Angel 01/19/2013 at 6:40 am #

These are pretty awesome

5. Patience 01/20/2013 at 12:14 pm #

Tell us where you found them!!!

• veronica c 01/31/2013 at 7:35 pm #

dollarnailart.com – thats where I bought them and got them in the mail yesterday and have already played with them! Super easy and fun. They don’t last as long as polish and normal nail polish remover takes it off.

6. Lydia 01/23/2013 at 5:36 pm #

This is so cute!! I would love to try this for a party or with my friends :)

7. Lana 01/23/2013 at 6:03 pm #

How do you remove the foils?

• Anna (ModCloth) 01/24/2013 at 6:38 am #

Hi Lana! Well, I LOVE nail art, but I’m scrappy with my nails and, thus, terrible at keeping a manicure looking nice for more than a few days, haha! After my foils started to chip a little, I used regular old nail polish remover to take them off – I put a healthy amount on a cotton pad, then held that against my nail for a few seconds thinking it would help the remover soak in. It seemed to work pretty well. Now I just have to decide what design to do next!

8. MariaSewing 01/24/2013 at 1:38 am #

As if I wasn’t a nail art addict already, now there’s a new product to look for! Thanks!

9. gigi 01/27/2013 at 12:24 pm #

thats awesome

10. Biddy 01/30/2013 at 4:25 pm #

uh woooahhhh. so, can this be done with foil? you know like kitchen foil?

• veronica c 01/31/2013 at 7:37 pm #

haha – no :) dollarnailart.com is where you can get them super cheap. They are VERY thin and come rolled up in a little container. It took me a couple tries to figure it out, but I plan on doing a more in depth tutorial on my blog about how to use them.

11. flor paredez 04/10/2013 at 11:30 am #

please let us know what top coat you used since it didnt ruin it. Please!!

12. artificial nails 01/30/2014 at 6:05 am #

Hi there! I’m at work browsing your blog from my
    new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts!
    Carry on the great work!