Nail Klub: Homemade Matte Polish for a Frosty Finish!

By now, loyal readers probably know that Nail Klub loves statement-making manicures. Cat faces, lumberjacks, psychedelic swirls — no design is too daring. And yet, we’ve also found that get-noticed nails don’t have to be painstakingly detailed or dramatic. Take the matte-finish manicure we tried for this post. By mixing household cornstarch — yep, the stuff in your pantry — into a few drops of clear top coat, you can create a subtle, yet snazzy, effect that adds instant intrigue to your digits.

The cornstarch mixture paints on clear, but upon drying, takes on the translucent beauty of frosted glass — the more cornstarch, the more opaque the polish. Easy and effortless, this technique causes as many head turns and second glances as the cutest cat face pattern. Give our simple tutorial a try, and share what you thought of the sophisticated results!

anna

About Anna

Anna's the kind of don't-take-yourself-too-seriously gal who can spend an evening at Monday Night Raw and then turn around and write about nail designs and glitter with just as much sincere, unadulterated delight. She's a firm believer in cats' ability to see ghosts, the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the fact that if she wishes enough, she'll never have to iron again.

, , , ,

13 Responses to Nail Klub: Homemade Matte Polish for a Frosty Finish!

1. Sandi 03/27/2013 at 11:16 am #

I have NEVER heard of this technique, mind blown! I have a matte top coat already but I need to experiment with this!!

2. Ashley Garrett 03/27/2013 at 6:34 pm #

That is so neat! I have bought a matte nail polish top coat before and it works well, but it was also five dollars….I would much rather save my money and do it this way.

Also, do you think you could just put some cornstarch into the whole bottle of top coat?

And i absolutely LOVE the yellow/green color of nail polish on the far right!! Ahh!! What nail polish is it?

Love the blog and Modcloth store!!

3. J 03/27/2013 at 7:37 pm #

love it! what are the nail polish colors you use in this tutorial! They are so pretty!

4. Savannah Comer 03/27/2013 at 9:06 pm #

could you just mix the cornstarch into a bottle of quick-dry topcoat to have a matte top coat?

5. Latest Fashion Trends 2013 03/28/2013 at 5:41 am #

Amazing, so unique and lovely colors!!

6. Susana 03/28/2013 at 8:10 am #

I’ve been looking for something like this! Will definitely give this a try. Question: Can it be used with other starches like potato or does it only work with cornstarch?

7. Michelle 03/28/2013 at 8:48 pm #

I would think mixing in in the bottle would be difficult and not as effective. Have you tried making gravey with the stuff? Very hard to get the lumps out. Also nail polish is already thick. Doubt you want it to be able to sit in there.

8. Mandi 03/29/2013 at 11:05 am #

I was thinking along the same lines as Michelle.. Adding it to the bottle may cause the polish to thicken to the point where it is unusable.

9. goldy 03/29/2013 at 2:28 pm #

What is the color of the purple called? where did u get them? they’re awesome!

10. Megan 03/29/2013 at 7:57 pm #

Please please let us know what colors you used!

11. McKinlay 05/05/2013 at 3:28 pm #

I just tried this and it works great!! I painted my nails yellow and it turned out really cute. I didn’t pour the cornstarch out like in the picture, I just poured some clear nail polish on a paper plate then pinched some cornstarch into it. Thank you so much!! I know I will use this over and over!!

12. Kristiba 08/09/2013 at 3:04 am #

I hadnt heard of this technique but wanted to try it as soon as i could! Which i just finished and loved it :D

13. women down jackets 09/19/2013 at 8:01 pm #

Love it! Very warm (pretty cold in Switzerland now). Light, great quality & great look too!I highly recommend it!