3 Days of Road Trip Hairstyles: Day 1, Beach Waves

roadtrip day 1 lead01

One of the best parts of road tripping is leaving the comforts of home behind in favor of a simplified life. But, getting back to basics doesn’t mean you have to give up your hair style! If you’re looking for ways to wear your hair on the road, look no further. Over the next three days, I’ll show you how to take your hair from here to there, with just some basic hair tools.

First up: a beach waves hair tutorial. Quick and easy, beach waves work for hair of nearly every length, and travel well. After all, the messier they are, the better they look!

Hair Day 1-2

For this style you’ll need: A rat-tail comb, dry shampoo, light-hold hair spray, salt spray, a curling rod or curling iron, and bobby pins.

roadtrip day 1  01roadtrip day 1 02

1. For a little extra lift, spritz your roots lightly with dry shampoo and brush your hair out. Next, using the tail of your comb, section out the top portion of your hair, twist into a bun, and pin out of the way.

2. With your curling rod heated up, begin in the front and loosely wrap one inch sections of hair clockwise around the barrel (away from your face). Wait a few seconds — not too long! — and release. You don’t have to be perfect with this; in fact, imperfection is what you’re going for!

roadtrip day 1  03road trip hair

3. Continue curling the lower portion of hair all around your head. Spritz lightly with hairspray.

4. Release the top portion of hair. If your hair is very thick, you may have to separate this section like you did previously and wrap the top-most portion into a bun and out of the way.

5. Working clockwise, away from your face, curl this section like you did with the previous one and spritz with hair spray. Repeat until all of your hair is curled.

roadtrip day 1  05roadtrip day 1  06

6. Run your fingers through your hair (do not brush) and mess up your waves.

7. Being sure to avoid your roots, spritz your hair all over with salt spray, scrunching and crunching your hair as you go.

8. If you have shorter pieces of hair in the front, you can twist them up and pin them back to keep your hair out of your eyes while you drive.

roadtrip day 1  final01

9. Done! Who doesn’t love the look of sun ‘n’ surf-toussled hair? If the ocean is nowhere in sight, this easy style will start your road trip off right!

Come back tomorrow for day two of roadtrip-ready hair styling! And be sure to check out day three for even more travel hair inspiration!

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950’s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When she’s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

, , , ,

13 Responses to 3 Days of Road Trip Hairstyles: Day 1, Beach Waves

1. Victoria / Justice Pirate 05/21/2013 at 2:10 pm #

Very cool. I have naturally crimped hair (weird but true) and wish my waves were this full. I tend to straighten or curl my hair.

2. Eliza 05/22/2013 at 6:24 am #

Love it! Now I need to pick up a curling wand…any recommendations?

• Julie O. (ModCloth) 05/24/2013 at 12:09 pm #

Thanks Eliza! I’m not sure what brand mine is, but you can pick up a curling wand from any beauty supply store, or ask your stylist, they’ll be able to point you in the right direction!

• Coralie 05/26/2013 at 1:13 am #

Eliza, go on numeproducts.com they have all sorts of curling wands in different sizes, and they work reaaaaaally well :)

3. Savannah Belsher-MacLean 05/22/2013 at 7:51 am #

Love the curls, and I’m obsessed with your oh-so-natural ombré!! I’m bringing a pic to my hairstylist at my next appointment…

4. Jaimie 05/24/2013 at 9:59 pm #

I love the style, but 3 products and a curling iron doesn’t really count as back to basics! When I travel I only have a brush, hairspray if I’m lucky!

5. Jimjam 05/24/2013 at 10:04 pm #

I love the style, but 3 products and a curling iron is hardly back to basics! When I travel I’m lucky to have a brush and hairspray!

6. K.P.97 06/22/2013 at 2:16 am #

<3 it… But which curling rod size did you use???

7. adriana 06/23/2013 at 12:37 pm #

hi! love your hair. but im obsessed with your little bag.. is vintage? from were?

8. Genevieve McDonnell 07/30/2013 at 3:17 pm #

Where do you get salt spray?

• Emily 08/10/2013 at 6:39 am #

Bumble and Bumble has a good Salt Spray that’s available at many Target stores and salons, but there are lots of lower priced options on the market now too;)

9. Silverglass 04/19/2014 at 7:27 pm #

Ladies – a mix of water, a tsp or two of epsom salts, and a couple drops of conditioner; shake; spritz on damp hair; braid your hair overnight. In the morning spritz lightly again, unbraid, voila! Beach waves, and you don’t need a curling iron! I have fine hair and this gives it tons of body which lasts for 3 days!

10. Silverglass 04/19/2014 at 7:29 pm #

Forgot to give the amount of water: 1 Cup of hot (not boiling) water, and probably best to use about 2 tablespoons of salts.