One of the best parts of road tripping is leaving the comforts of home behind in favor of a simplified life. But, getting back to basics doesn’t mean you have to give up your hair style! If you’re looking for ways to wear your hair on the road, look no further. Over the next three days, I’ll show you how to take your hair from here to there, with just some basic hair tools.
First up: a beach waves hair tutorial. Quick and easy, beach waves work for hair of nearly every length, and travel well. After all, the messier they are, the better they look!
For this style you’ll need: A rat-tail comb, dry shampoo, light-hold hair spray, salt spray, a curling rod or curling iron, and bobby pins.
1. For a little extra lift, spritz your roots lightly with dry shampoo and brush your hair out. Next, using the tail of your comb, section out the top portion of your hair, twist into a bun, and pin out of the way.
2. With your curling rod heated up, begin in the front and loosely wrap one inch sections of hair clockwise around the barrel (away from your face). Wait a few seconds — not too long! — and release. You don’t have to be perfect with this; in fact, imperfection is what you’re going for!
3. Continue curling the lower portion of hair all around your head. Spritz lightly with hairspray.
4. Release the top portion of hair. If your hair is very thick, you may have to separate this section like you did previously and wrap the top-most portion into a bun and out of the way.
5. Working clockwise, away from your face, curl this section like you did with the previous one and spritz with hair spray. Repeat until all of your hair is curled.
6. Run your fingers through your hair (do not brush) and mess up your waves.
7. Being sure to avoid your roots, spritz your hair all over with salt spray, scrunching and crunching your hair as you go.
8. If you have shorter pieces of hair in the front, you can twist them up and pin them back to keep your hair out of your eyes while you drive.
9. Done! Who doesn’t love the look of sun ‘n’ surf-toussled hair? If the ocean is nowhere in sight, this easy style will start your road trip off right!