3 Days of Road Trip Hairstyles: Day 2, Braided Crowns

lead01-b

Yesterday, as part of our three-day road trip hairstyling series, I showed you how to achieve easy beach waves. On day two of your road trip, you may see your hair falling flat or getting greasy, and might be tempted to just whip it into a ponytail or bun. If you’re seeking an alternative to these fall-back styles, why not try a braided crown? Just like beach waves, this look can work with a multitude of hair lengths, looks great with day-old waves, and can be whipped up in your rear-view mirror in no time flat!

lead02

For this style you’ll need: A rat-tail comb, dry shampoo, light-hold hair spray, small clear elastic bands, and bobby pins.

01 02

1. A quick spritz of dry shampoo will quickly nix any build-up you may be experiencing. Brush out your roots.

2. At the crown of your head, separate the top layer of your hair, tease it for extra lift, and pin aside.

03 Hair-1

3. Starting at one side, grab a section of hair beneath the separated portion.

4. Split this section into three, and braid down to the ends, secure with an elastic.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 on the opposite side, so you have two braids coming from either side of your head.

6. Release the portion of hair at your crown. Take one braid and wrap it up and over your head like a headband, tucking the end out of sight.

05 Hair-2

7. Once you decide on placement, pin into place with a few bobby pins.

8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 with the opposite braid, overlapping it with the first. Pin into place.

final01-b

9. Spritz lightly all over with hair spray and hit the road, your braids will hold your hair in place while you drive to your next destination.

Stay tuned and drive on back tomorrow for day three of our road trip hair series! And be sure to check out day one for even more on the road hair inspiration!

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950’s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When she’s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

, , , ,

9 Responses to 3 Days of Road Trip Hairstyles: Day 2, Braided Crowns

1. Kate 05/22/2013 at 12:44 pm #

Oh! I have never tried this version I am going to give it a go once my layers grow out a bit. Beautiful photos! I love the truck.

2. Dorothy 05/23/2013 at 8:29 am #

Love this look! I like that the braids are not right at the front and come up from behind! So cute and simple!

3. Meguie 06/02/2013 at 3:14 pm #

I’m regretting cutting my super long hair after reading this post! I tried it and my hair is not long enough now :/ but I will definitely try it when it grows again.

4. Donna 06/14/2013 at 2:49 pm #

Great styles, and how-tos- thank you! I will practice styling before my road trip, so minimum hair stress while traveling.(Practice makes perfect)!

5. Laurie 06/27/2013 at 9:26 am #

That would be really great IF your hair is that thick and long. Very cute but not practical for most.

• Eliza 01/07/2014 at 9:41 pm #

Ok, thanks, I was wondering if it would be good with my hair type.

6. Darlene P 07/23/2013 at 5:08 am #

I love braids always doing elaborate styles with them to complete my “do”
    I only wish I knew how to do the fancy ones on myself. Secondly. Do not let scizzor crazed stylist with short hair ever “trim” “cut” or give U layers! I am extremely fussy About who takes scizzors to my hair
    I agree a nice clean up helps restore growth in your hair

7. Rena Texidor 08/07/2013 at 7:06 pm #

For women with short hair:
    Try this
    1) Thin braids of two to three going 1 way, and two thin braids going opposite way to form a headband,
    2) Vita Pointe instead of hairspray to keep the strands from sticking in the wrong area.
    3) Use fun colored or patterned bobby pins because there is no point in trying to hide the shortness factor of the braids. So embrace them!
    4) Fluff the back hair (if super curly like mine, really fluff), if fine and straight, twirl and tease with fingers, and if you have those cute little battery operated on the go mobile hair tools, go at it!
    5) Never say you can’t do anything with short hair. You can!

8. Hannah 02/11/2014 at 8:31 pm #

That is really cute! I am definitely going to try that!!