Announcing Make the Cut: Meant to ‘Tee’ – UPDATE: CONTEST HAS ENDED!

img03

Calling all designers! For this round of our Make the Cut Contest, the timeless T-shirt is your blank canvas. We’re inviting you to submit graphic designs that will transform it into a ‘tee-rific’ sensation!

We’ll accept submissions until 9:01 a.m. PT on 7/1, then our savvy Buying Team will select their top 20 picks to put up for public voting on our Facebook fanpage from 12:00 p.m. PT, 7/8 to 12:00 p.m. PT, 7/12. Once our community decides which top three graphic tees will go into production, we’ll announce ‘em via a blog post on 7/22.

contest-img01

Our three winners won’t be saying, “I won Make the Cut, and all I got was this awesome T-shirt.” Nope, they’ll also nab $500, and their tee will be produced with their name on the tag and sold on ModCloth.com!

You’re probably already sketching, but the following deets will help you officially cross your ‘tees’ for submission…

Guidelines for the contest:

• Images should be no larger than 5MB, and image resolution should be 300 DPI.
  • Accepted file formats are PDF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, or GIF.
  • Please submit scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch on a white/light grey background (low-quality images may be declined).
  • The ideal format is vertical with a 3×5 dimension ratio.
  • Each sketch should clearly highlight only one T-shirt.
  • Submissions may include other items, but only the T-shirt is being entered in the contest.
  • Entries should be based on a short sleeve scoop neck style in women’s sizes, or a short sleeve crew neck style in men’s sizes. T-shirts are made of 60% cotton/40% polyester, and are available in white, royal blue, Kelly green, red, black, and navy.
  • The printed graphic may utilize up to four solid ink colors. Please avoid gradients or soft and faded edges. Visual images should not include lettering, words, or phrases.
  • Designs should be centered on the front of the tee. Sleeve or back designs will not be considered.
  • Our production team has final recommendation for the production of winning tees.
  • Keep in mind that you’re designing for the ModCloth customer, and we’re unlikely to produce couture details or luxury materials.
  • Our Buying Team will choose 20 pieces based on judging criteria, then we’ll post those on Facebook for community voting from 12:00 p.m. PT, 7/8 to 12:00 p.m. PT, 7/12.
  • Before announcing the winner, we’ll double-check that the Facebook votes are legitimate.
  • Use of a template is not required, but you may download one of these free online versions here, here, or here.
  • If you don’t get a confirmation email after submitting, let us know at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com.
  • Sketches do not need to be in color, but it is encouraged to best convey your vision.

And now, the rules:

• All entries must be submitted via Submittable.
  • No email submissions will be accepted.
  • You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 T-shirts.
  • Sketches may be submitted up until 9:01 a.m. PT on 7/1.
  • Entries will be judged on wearability, marketability, produce-ability, creativity, and how well they fit the ModCloth aesthetic.
  • With your submission(s), please include your first & last name as you’d like to see it appear on Facebook for voting and the clothing label, a brief description of your design, and a little about what inspired it or how you’d style it.
  • The winners will be announced on 7/22 via the blog.
  • Three winning sketches will be chosen, and $500 will be awarded for each one.
  • Additional winners may be chosen at the discretion of ModCloth.
  • Winning graphic tees will be produced and sold on ModCloth.com, and feature the designer’s name on the tag.
  • Contestants under 18 must have a parent or guardian write a letter of consent, and upload it as an attachment with your entry on Submittable (Example: If you upload five separate sketches, you would then upload your scanned consent as a sixth file).
  • Currently, this contest is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents.

Keep these guidelines and rules in mind as you sketch for the prize. Will your shirt have a shot at earning production with a personalized tag and $500 prize? Only one way to find out — and that’s by entering!

If you have any questions, check out our legal info, or email makethecutcontest@modcloth.com.

UPDATE (7/22/2013) — Three cheers for Tahoura S., Alexandra M., and Ashley W., the official winners of Make the Cut: Meant to ‘Tee’. In addition to a $500 prize, these talented designers win the honor of having their tees produced with their name on the tag and sold on ModCloth.com.

Make the Cut T-shirt winners

It’s time to think about how these tees will inspire your wardrobe!

About ModCloth

45 Responses to Announcing Make the Cut: Meant to ‘Tee’ – UPDATE: CONTEST HAS ENDED!

1. Loui 06/24/2013 at 1:44 pm #

Can we use photographs?and 3×5 does that mean the sketch we scan has to be 3 in. By 5 in. Srry if that’s a stupid question

• ModCloth 06/24/2013 at 2:05 pm #

Hi, Loui! Thanks for your interest in this round of Make the Cut! We are calling for sketched graphics for the t-shirt design- but we encourage creativity! As for the dimensions, the sketch size as it will appear true to size on the shirt should be 3 x 5. More questions? Drop us a line at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com

2. Kimberly 06/24/2013 at 3:11 pm #

No theme? Just free range sketch? I know the styles here but… Thanks for your patience.

• ModCloth 06/24/2013 at 7:29 pm #

Yep- you’ve got it, Kimberly! Just start sketching- think about our brand and current selection…but add your own take! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

3. Elizabeth 06/24/2013 at 4:24 pm #

Are we allowed to submit digitally created sketches? I have a tablet that I use to draw via photoshop, would such a thing be acceptable?

• ModCloth 06/24/2013 at 7:29 pm #

Hi Elizabeth! Yes, digitally created sketches are acceptable! Good luck!

• elizabeth 06/26/2013 at 1:18 pm #

sorry – disregard bump – meant to do it for my comment/question that appears to still be awaiting moderation and his the other Elizabeth’s post instead – oops!

4. Eliza 06/24/2013 at 4:44 pm #

Hi Moddies,

Just a quick question….you said that the design should not include lettering or phrases, so it would be only an image element rather than a cute saying? Either way is fine, but I wanted to follow the rules to a T!

Thanks again,
    Eliza

• ModCloth 06/24/2013 at 7:30 pm #

Hi Eliza! Thanks for your interest! You are correct- we ask that designs contain no phrases, words or letting of any kind. Thanks for double-checking! Good luck!

• Eliza 06/27/2013 at 4:58 am #

Thanks for clearing that up! I will do my best!

5. Loui 06/24/2013 at 7:05 pm #

Can we fill most of the Tshirt up or does it have to be jus a small image on the front

6. ModCloth 06/24/2013 at 7:35 pm #

Hi Loui! Once the design is full size and screened on the t-shirt- the design must not exceed 19 inches wide and 17 inches tall. For this, just sketch a design for the front of the shirt! Hope this answers your question!

7. courtney wick 06/24/2013 at 11:46 pm #

Do black and white count as block colors?

• ModCloth 06/27/2013 at 9:12 am #

Hi Courtney! If you choose a colored shirt, black and white ink does count as part of your 4 additional colors in your design. However, you can creatively use the negative space on a black or white tshirt and use 4 additional colors for your design. Good luck creating!

8. Saleigh 06/25/2013 at 7:35 am #

Can we do this in Illustrator? Like make the graphics in Adobe Illustrator and PHotoshop

• ModCloth 06/27/2013 at 9:00 am #

Hi Saleigh! Thanks for your interest in Meant to “Tee”! Yes, digitally created sketches are acceptable! Can’t wait to see your entry!

9. Nightshade 06/25/2013 at 4:59 pm #

Entered! A fun and creative contest! =)

10. zandy 06/26/2013 at 9:09 am #

dear modcloth, the rules say that the T shirt must be one of the colors listed above but does that mean that my design must one of those colors as well or can I be creative with the colors I choose for my image?
    Thanks!

• ModCloth 06/27/2013 at 9:14 am #

Hi Zandy! You just need to choose a tshirt color and then you can use an additional 4 colors, of your choice, for your design! Have fun designing!

11. eila 06/26/2013 at 12:23 pm #

can the design be done in any color(s)…or just the colors shown for the tee shirts????
    thanks eila

• ModCloth 06/27/2013 at 9:15 am #

Hi Eila! You choose a tshirt color from the ones listed and then you can use an additional 4 colors, of your choice, for your design! Good luck!

12. Anthony Coz Conover 06/26/2013 at 1:37 pm #

Howdy
    I might have missed it but is there a limit to the number of designs we can submit and is it possible to submit a design meant to be an all over print?

thanks!

• ModCloth 06/27/2013 at 9:04 am #

Hi Anthony! Thanks for reaching out! You can submit up to 5 sketches, but you must submit them all at once through Submittable. Also, the designs cannot be all over prints; once the design is full size and screened on the t-shirt- the design must not exceed 19 inches wide and 17 inches tall. For this, just sketch a design for the front of the shirt! Good luck!

13. Yvonne 06/26/2013 at 8:35 pm #

I was a little confused by what was exactly needed and I already submitted my design. All I did was submit the design that would be going on the t-shirt. I did not draw my design ON a t-shirt and submit the whole drawing that way.I hope just submitting the design itself is ok- in the description I did mention printing it on the white girl’s style t-shirt.
    Thanks!

• ModCloth 06/27/2013 at 9:21 am #

Hi Yvonne! Thank you so much for your submission! You did not need to draw it within a tshirt template, so you’re good to go!

• ModCloth 06/27/2013 at 9:23 am #

14. Varika 06/27/2013 at 11:58 am #

So I am a bit confused about the size of the sketch… I am drawing the design inside the sketch of a t-shirt so should the t-shirt be 3 by 5 or should it be bigger so that the actual design is 3 by 5?
    And also, I am under 18 so I know I need a parent’s permission but is it ok if I take a photo of the letter instead of scanning it?
    Thanks

• ModCloth 07/01/2013 at 7:51 am #

Hi, Varika! As for the dimensions, the design size should be 3 x 5. Also, as long as your picture of the letter is legible, we can accept it! We can’t wait to see your submission!

15. Jackie 06/27/2013 at 1:21 pm #

Are the sketches not allowed to have shading at all?

• ModCloth 07/01/2013 at 8:00 am #

Hi Jackie! Unfortunately, we can’t accept drawings with any form of gradients, soft edges or shading at this time. We hope you still enter! Good luck!

16. elizabeth 06/27/2013 at 3:05 pm #

any news on an answer?

17. molly 06/27/2013 at 6:03 pm #

Hi! I live in Australia, I have dual citizenship… am I ok to enter this competition?? Or do I have to be living in USA?? Cheers!

• ModCloth 07/01/2013 at 7:58 am #

Hi, Molly! Thank you for verifying this rule. You can absolutely participate! Can’t wait to see your entry!

• molly 07/01/2013 at 3:12 pm #

??

18. V 06/28/2013 at 6:15 am #

Hi, if I draw an image and scan it, should I submit it with a white background or a transparent background?

• ModCloth 07/01/2013 at 7:46 am #

Hi V! Submitting it with a white background is fine! Thank you for checking! Good luck!

19. Rachael Alpaca 06/28/2013 at 12:37 pm #

Hi! Do we have to include the shirt color and which shirt, or can we just submit one design that could go on multiple colors or styles? For example if I think my design could go on a royal blue, navy blue, red, or green male of female shirt would that count as one submission, or 8 which is too many?

• ModCloth 07/01/2013 at 7:52 am #

Hi, Rachael! For each design you submit, you must select one color and style of shirt. Do your best to pick your favorite!

20. Niki 06/29/2013 at 9:12 pm #

I was all excited to do this and then I read the last rule about being a U.S. citizen and I live in Canada. Boo! I had a really good idea too :(

21. Mimi 07/02/2013 at 6:27 pm #

When I tried to click on the submittable link, it sent me to the Written Wardrobe contest. ???

22. Savannah 07/08/2013 at 3:58 pm #

When will we see which designs made it to the Facebook voting? I thought it was today and have checked several times, but still haven’t seen anything about it…

23. Heide 07/09/2013 at 2:23 am #

I submitted a few designs, and I’m a bit confused because my designs have neither been declined nor accepted. I know you have already started voting, but that is why I’m confused about what is going on. I submitted them before Jul. 1. Normally I have either gotten an accepted email or a declined one. This time however the status just says received, and I did not receive a single notification about the designs I entered.

Basically what it says:
    Date: 6/25/2013
    What: Heide – Graphics
    Where?: ModCloth – Make the Cut Contest: Meant to ‘Tee’
    Status: Received

24. Noelia 09/11/2013 at 6:42 pm #

When are the winning T-shits going to be produced and sold?

25. Jasmine Wu 10/13/2013 at 10:38 pm #

Congrats to the winners! I had fun making mine. =)