Calling all designers! For this round of our Make the Cut Contest, the timeless T-shirt is your blank canvas. We’re inviting you to submit graphic designs that will transform it into a ‘tee-rific’ sensation!
We’ll accept submissions until 9:01 a.m. PT on 7/1, then our savvy Buying Team will select their top 20 picks to put up for public voting on our Facebook fanpage from 12:00 p.m. PT, 7/8 to 12:00 p.m. PT, 7/12. Once our community decides which top three graphic tees will go into production, we’ll announce ’em via a blog post on 7/22.
Our three winners won’t be saying, “I won Make the Cut, and all I got was this awesome T-shirt.” Nope, they’ll also nab $500, and their tee will be produced with their name on the tag and sold on ModCloth.com!
You’re probably already sketching, but the following deets will help you officially cross your ‘tees’ for submission…
Guidelines for the contest:
- Images should be no larger than 5MB, and image resolution should be 300 DPI.
- Accepted file formats are PDF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, or GIF.
- Please submit scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch on a white/light grey background (low-quality images may be declined).
- The ideal format is vertical with a 3×5 dimension ratio.
- Each sketch should clearly highlight only one T-shirt.
- Submissions may include other items, but only the T-shirt is being entered in the contest.
- Entries should be based on a short sleeve scoop neck style in women’s sizes, or a short sleeve crew neck style in men’s sizes. T-shirts are made of 60% cotton/40% polyester, and are available in white, royal blue, Kelly green, red, black, and navy.
- The printed graphic may utilize up to four solid ink colors. Please avoid gradients or soft and faded edges. Visual images should not include lettering, words, or phrases.
- Designs should be centered on the front of the tee. Sleeve or back designs will not be considered.
- Our production team has final recommendation for the production of winning tees.
- Keep in mind that you’re designing for the ModCloth customer, and we’re unlikely to produce couture details or luxury materials.
- Our Buying Team will choose 20 pieces based on judging criteria, then we’ll post those on Facebook for community voting from 12:00 p.m. PT, 7/8 to 12:00 p.m. PT, 7/12.
- Before announcing the winner, we’ll double-check that the Facebook votes are legitimate.
- Use of a template is not required, but you may download one of these free online versions here, here, or here.
- If you don’t get a confirmation email after submitting, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sketches do not need to be in color, but it is encouraged to best convey your vision.
And now, the rules:
- All entries must be submitted via Submittable.
- No email submissions will be accepted.
- You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 T-shirts.
- Sketches may be submitted up until 9:01 a.m. PT on 7/1.
- Entries will be judged on wearability, marketability, produce-ability, creativity, and how well they fit the ModCloth aesthetic.
- With your submission(s), please include your first & last name as you’d like to see it appear on Facebook for voting and the clothing label, a brief description of your design, and a little about what inspired it or how you’d style it.
- The winners will be announced on 7/22 via the blog.
- Three winning sketches will be chosen, and $500 will be awarded for each one.
- Additional winners may be chosen at the discretion of ModCloth.
- Winning graphic tees will be produced and sold on ModCloth.com, and feature the designer’s name on the tag.
- Contestants under 18 must have a parent or guardian write a letter of consent, and upload it as an attachment with your entry on Submittable (Example: If you upload five separate sketches, you would then upload your scanned consent as a sixth file).
- Currently, this contest is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents.
Keep these guidelines and rules in mind as you sketch for the prize. Will your shirt have a shot at earning production with a personalized tag and $500 prize? Only one way to find out — and that’s by entering!
UPDATE (7/22/2013) – Three cheers for Tahoura S., Alexandra M., and Ashley W., the official winners of Make the Cut: Meant to ‘Tee’. In addition to a $500 prize, these talented designers win the honor of having their tees produced with their name on the tag and sold on ModCloth.com.
It’s time to think about how these tees will inspire your wardrobe!