As a long-time fan of pin-up styling, I set out to recreate a playful, retro ponytail look. Knowing that creating that perfectly curled and rolled bang would be difficult, I came up with a plan: I would utilize a tool I was sure would be easy to find: the hair rat. Used by stylish ladies back in the day, hair rats were cylindrical pads used to add volume to hair and to make those classic pin-up looks easier to achieve. Historically, hair rats were created out of the user’s own hair. Modern hair rats are now made from mesh or foam are available at most beauty supply stores, but for me, were extremely difficult to find around town. That didn’t stop me, though, because I came up with a solution: a pair of beige tights wrapped around a spare piece of wire. Yes, I’m serious. Not glamorous, and definitely not photogenic, but it worked.
With this easy tutorial, your hair will look so glam that no one will ever guess you’re hiding a pair of pantyhose in your bangs! Click through for our step-by step tutorial for the perfect pin-up-inspired ponytail!
Pin-up Perfect Ponytail
What you’ll need:
1″ curling iron or rod
A small army of hair pins
A hair rat (or, you know, a wire covered in hosiery)
1. Separate out the portion of your hair that you’ll be turning into bangs. Tie back the remainder. Using your flat iron, run it at an angle down the length of your “bangs”, spray with hairspray.
2. Using your hair rat, roll your bangs over the rat, tucking the ends and smoothing as you go.
3. Secure your rolled bangs into place using hair pins. Spray generously with hairspray.
4. Remove the remainder of your hair from the elastic. Curl all over with your curling iron or rod, spray with hairspray.
4. Gather all of your hair into a ponytail, secure with an elastic.