Style Gallery Star Sighting: Anna

stylegallerystars01

Hot on the heels of our first Style Gallery Star Sighting, we have a spiffy second helping of sartorial ingenuity via Anna from Madison, WI! Her parents’ Jamaican roots and her passions for music and retro gaming are big influences on her style, which this legal careerist-turned-academic describes as “eclectic and emotionally driven”. Below, we’re sharing the deets behind the shots, but you should also give a look and listen to her blog, Melodic, Thrifty, & Chic.

“With some bloggers, you can immediately identify their ‘style’. They have a palpable modus operandi that is just inescapable,” says Anna. “I don’t find that with my style, though. It’s almost as if I don’t belong anywhere or in any particular category.”

crops-400x600-04
crops-400x600-03

“My lifelong passion is music. It has been with me since I was a child,” explains Anna. “I grew up in a Jamaican household, and I was raised on classic reggae from the 40s, 50s and 60s. There is so much soul, so much heart, happiness, and suffering in that music. It’s painfully beautiful.”

crops-400x700-02
crops-400x700-01

“I’m stuck in the past and I’m totally OK with that state of affairs,” admits Anna. “I still play old NES and SNES RPGs, and some classic DOS games (thanks to DOS BOX!). I’m a huge D&D nerd.”

crops-400x600-01
crops-400x600-02

“I clerked for an administrative law judge for about three years before I decided that I wanted to do more traveling now rather than later. So, I’m currently pursuing a career in academia. My goal is to become a professor of law at a foreign university.”

In addition to her array of interests, Anna browses Style Gallery outfit photos for unique sartorial inspiration! The posh pics by introvertsintroduction and Annika V. continue to catch her eye.

Get in on the fashion fun by shooting and sharing your next ensemble! And stay tuned, because our next Style Gallery Star Sighting is right around the corner!

About ModCloth

13 Responses to Style Gallery Star Sighting: Anna

1. Dom 08/13/2013 at 1:13 pm #

Wow, she has such an articulate hold on the complexity of her style. It’s so fun and outrageous and eclectic. I’m all about it!

2. Elizabeth 08/13/2013 at 5:59 pm #

I love EVERYTHING about her style. I’m bookmarking this page for future inspiration – maybe someday I can be as cool as you are, Anna – ha!

3. Rebecca 08/13/2013 at 9:52 pm #

Yay! So glad to see Anna featured as she is absolutely one of my fave bloggers. Her style is eclectic and inspirational and well, simply awesome.

4. Anna 08/13/2013 at 10:47 pm #

You are very kind! Thank you! <3 <3 <3

5. Katie 08/14/2013 at 6:28 am #

I love Anna’s style, I have admired her outfits and photos for a while now. She is such a sweet person and I would love to rock outfits the way she does. She takes clothing pieces and puts them together in gorgeous combinations I would never think of, and wears them with such confidence. :)

6. Kristian 08/14/2013 at 6:40 am #

Anna’s style is so fun and fantastic. It was great to find out more about her too.

7. Susan (ModCloth) 08/14/2013 at 2:24 pm #

I love Anna’s style! So unique.

8. nettie 08/15/2013 at 2:00 pm #

Super gorgeous!!! I love your style, Anna!!

9. katlyn 08/15/2013 at 8:43 pm #

Wow I just looked at your pictures and I think I just became obsessed hah! I feel like I’m looking at a gallery of artwork! I like one comment that was said, you have an “articulate hold on the complexity of your style” which is a perfect description.. I love seeing the ways in which you repeat pieces, making it look new again. This makes me want to throw out half my clothes and find some sweet pieces like you have!

10. Alyssa 08/16/2013 at 9:49 am #

I am so in love with your style, Anna! You look amazing and I love your cool, fun and unique style. Congratulations on the amazing feature!!!

11. Anna 08/17/2013 at 12:21 am #

You all are so sweet! Katlyn, what you said really got to me. It means a lot. <3 Dom, I am indebted to your eloquence. I feel so embarrassed. I'm really not used to this.

When I put together outfits, I am basically just being myself. So, by having a personal fashion blog (and by sharing my photos with the ModCloth community), I am essentially putting myself out there for people to literally judge me. In this regard, it is nice to be accepted for who I am. It is really a wonderful feeling and it is my hope that everyone in the ModCloth community be treated with the same respect and courtesy. It is a joy to look through the Style Gallery for inspiration. Everyone's personal aesthetics is so different. I embrace that kind of individuality.

I know I am nowhere near perfect and that I may mess up here and there. However, I think the procedural journey (and the mistakes I make along the way) is just as important as the finished product. So, I try to learn from those errors and get better (and have fun!). :D I read and appreciate every single one of your compliments and criticisms. I think deep down all of us want to perform at our very best, no matter the task. In this regard, you input really matters!

Seemingly overnight I find myself with a huge support network for which I am eternally grateful. I feel so lucky to have you all in my life! Please feel free to leave me comments on my blog, Instagram, wherever. If you have a blog, please share it with me! I would love to get to know you all, as this feels so one-sided. Haha. <3

Thank you so very much, everyone! <3

– Anna

12. Paula 08/27/2013 at 5:40 pm #

I often think of Doctor Who when I see her outfits, and I mean that in the best way possible. I could totally see her as a Companion or The Doctor.

I’m a plus sized woman, and I can still get inspiration from Anna’s style. I love that.

13. Rachel J 10/13/2013 at 8:39 am #

I love her style. There is so much depth to her outfits, and obviously to her as well. I can’t wait to see what she puts together next!!