Looking to Read a Young Adult Novel?

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

NYmag

The Hunger Games, Divergent, City of Bones… Nowadays, it feels as if there’s a new YA novel (and accompanying film adaptation and franchise) everywhere you turn. While we’re not complaining, even avid YA readers such as ourselves can find it hard to keep track of all the book releases hitting the YA market. Luckily, New York Magazine has created a handy interactive flowchart that will help you find your next dystopian-supernatural-romantic YA read. (Lit lovers should also pick up this week’s issue of New York – the magazine dedicated several features to exploring the rapidly-growing world of YA lit, with author interviews and other good reads.)

Do you read YA novels? Which books or series top your charts?

About ModCloth

8 Responses to Looking to Read a Young Adult Novel?

1. Angela Bowron 10/08/2013 at 3:16 pm #

I really rate the Gone series by Michael Grant. Although aimed at Young Adults it is easily readable for adults! It’s heavy stuff! Very Stephen King meets Lord of the Flies.

2. Rachel 10/08/2013 at 4:00 pm #

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by Libba Bray is definitely next on my list to be made into a film. Also, they should create a movie version of Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus.

3. April 10/08/2013 at 6:33 pm #

As an almost 40 year old, I find the YA dystopian craze… darn good reading! I present a list of trilogies (unranked):

1. “The Hunger Games” – Suzanne Collins
    12.”Reboot” – Amy Tintera

• April 10/08/2013 at 6:37 pm #

…that should have been: “The Forest of Hands and Teeth” – Carrie Ryan
      “Shiver” – Maggie Stiefvater

(total embarrassment)

4. Jen 10/09/2013 at 3:26 am #

Of all the YA series I think the Graceling series by Kristin Cashore is by far my favorite

5. Valerie Eve Abbie 10/09/2013 at 3:32 am #

I adore reading… No tv in my room, just books ranging from B F Skinner to Dr. Seuss.

Lemony Snickett’s : A series of unfortunate events

Scary stories to tell in the Dark

Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass

Sandra Cisneros’s collection of books (house on mango street, caramelo, etc)

American Girl collection
    ( I’m a behavioral therapist and one of my kids on my case load loved them )

♥️,
    Val

6. amyspitzley 10/12/2013 at 7:59 pm #

Hi people! Great topic! I’m 41, and not only do I read YA pretty much exclusively, I also write it. My first novel, Scrapbook of My Revolution, was picked up by a small (not self-pubbed) publisher called Curiosity Quills Press. It’s about a mutant girl who keeps a sort of scrapbook diary, and it’s available on GoodReads, Barnes and Noble.com, Amazon, and a few other places I’m forgetting right now. Keep reading YA, everyone! My second book’s out in March, and I’m not out of ideas yet! (grin)

7. Julia F. 10/22/2013 at 8:27 am #

I read a fantastic YA novel recently that topped the charts for me! It is an addictive, fast paced book that will be interesting and engaging for seasoned to reluctant readers. The book is called “The Riddle of Prague” by author Laura DeBruce and is book one of the Quicksilver Legacy Series http://theriddleofprague.com/about/. 18 year old Hana Silva is thrown into her family’s history and the mystery behind her ancestral home, The Rockery, in Prague. Hana finds an old notebook in the home with a cryptic riddle and clues from an alchemist hinting at the idea of immortality and that it is actually possible! Hana soon discovers her family in Prague are not what they seem and that the elixir of immortality will bring nothing but betrayal, deceit and a dangerous adventure! Hana and a few other friends who she grows to trust and depend on use this alchemist’s notebook to solve the mystery and hopefully find the elixir before being captured by those who also know it exists. I haven’t even begun to skim the surface of this book’s many twists and turns. It is such a good read and the “to be continued….” has definitely made the remaining two books of the series a must read too!