Fashion in Film: Heathers

Screen Shot 2013-10-17 at 5.36.34 PM

If you thought your high school experience was a drag, just hit ‘play’ on the 1988 film Heathers, and you’ll be singing a different tune. Starring Christian Slater, Shannon Doherty, and ModCloth favorite Winona Ryder as reluctant in-crowder Veronica Sawyer, Heathers is campy, dark-comedy about the perils of being in the popular crowd. Set in suburban Ohio, Heathers follows a clique of four girls — Heather I, Heather II, Heather III, and Veronica — as they reign over Westerberg High, terrorizing their underlings — and each other — all while clad in the most very ‘80s fashions.

Rife with padded shoulders, scrunchies, and fully-blown hair, Heathers is an ’80s-style soft-focus dream come true, and every high-schooler’s ultimate nightmare. Whether you’re taking notes on Veronica’s school-girl-chic monocle and loafers, or pining for Veronica I’s power shoulders and pleats, there’s a killer look for just about everyone. As Halloween draws ever closer, why not grab a few of your favorite frenemies, pop Heathers into the VCR, and take notes on the group costume possibilities that lie within this campy clique flick.

Heathers-1

Heathers-2

Heathers-3

Heathers-4

Heathers-5

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950’s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When she’s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

, , , ,

8 Responses to Fashion in Film: Heathers

1. CJ 10/21/2013 at 12:37 pm #

Believe it or not I just watched this movie for the first time a few months ago! Very cool!

2. Stephanie Scott 10/21/2013 at 1:48 pm #

By the time I saw Heathers, it was mid-90s and those clothes were already ridiculous. Didn’t stop my friend and I from making red scrunchies and taking lunch time polls for the school paper. Yes, for real. Love that movie, it’s still so dark, too.

3. Richard (ModCloth) 10/21/2013 at 4:29 pm #

Christan Slater was so cool in this movie!

4. tribalfaerie 10/21/2013 at 5:10 pm #

I remember that movie. Is it sick to say I found it funny?

• Cherry 11/10/2013 at 3:32 pm #

It is a dark comedy. It’s supposed to be funny in a kind of screwed up way. So no, not any sicker than anyone else who likes this movie. I, for one, love it.

5. Brianna 10/22/2013 at 7:31 am #

I literally just watched this movie on Saturday! The blog article on Winona Ryder made me want to watch it SO badly :D I love Heathers oh so much <3

6. kerbey 10/22/2013 at 7:08 pm #

I thought it was funny when it came out, but then again I was Winona Rider’s age as well. I remember them saying, “F me gently with a chainsaw, Veronica.”

7. Holly 10/25/2013 at 8:40 am #

Heathers is actually being made into a Broadway musical! They’re currently in workshop stages but it looks like Broadway is it’s true destination!