Meet the Pun-and-Only ModCloth Fashion Writing Team!

NovFashWriters_137_-2

Every day, you visit our site for the latest and greatest in ModCloth wares, from darling dresses to unique apartment accessories. With so many exciting items launching each day, perhaps you’ve been wondering what goes on behind the scenes to bring these products to your computer screen? Over the next few weeks, we’re giving you an exclusive look at some of the teams that make ModCloth the amazing place that it is. First up, the pun-and-only Fashion Writing Team!

Fashion is all about making a statement. Some teams at ModCloth tell stories through expertly styled ensembles, others through brilliant photography worth at least a thousand words. But when we really want to spell out how exciting, edgy, romantic, or radical our products are, we turn to the delightful logophiles on our Fashion Writing Team.

As ModLovers know, each item we sell comes with its own unique name and personality-rich description. We’ve launched tons of items over ModCloth’s lifetime and continue to offer lots of new products each day, but surprisingly, all the names and descriptions for those products come from a relatively small group of imaginative minds. These writers and editors pen and perfect the creative copy that’s become a playful trademark of our company.

NovFashWriters_151_-2

NovFashWriters_096_

Each morning, the Fashion Writing office receives a new rack of dresses, shoes, decor, jewelry, and more. Once they’re done fawning over the day’s wardrobe’s worth of samples, the team gets to work brainstorming clever names for each piece.

NovFashWriters_100_

NovFashWriters_116_-2

To help get inspired, the Fashion Writers get together for “Namestorms”. In a Namestorm, one writer will hold up (and sometimes, model) the new items one by one, while the other team members shout out the images and ideas the item brings to mind. What kind of party would this dress be perfect for? Do these shoes feel more “big city” or “Big Sur”? Amidst plenty of laughs and a little trial and error, the team lands on the smile-inducing product names that will help shape the item’s written personality.

NovFashWriters_067_-2

NovFashWriters_011_

Back at their desks, the writers get to work marrying important product details and illuminating language. Our writers are always careful to echo ModCloth’s positivity, open-mindedness, and feminist values in their work. The team shies from heteronormative language, strives for cultural sensitivity, and ensures that, while the dress or jacket may look absolutely awesome, it’s the way the item makes the wearer feel – confident, professional, elegant – that’s the most beautiful aspect of the outfit.

NovFashWriters_044_

NovFashWriters_089_-2

And when they’re not writing product descriptions, you can find our Fashion Writers making statements elsewhere in the company and on the site. Team members regularly contribute to the blog, pose for photo shoots, help plan our company parties and charitable events, and assist in a myriad of technical and process-oriented projects.

Got questions for the team? Share them in the comments below, and let us know what other inspiring creative careers you’re pursuing!

anna

About Anna

Anna's the kind of don't-take-yourself-too-seriously gal who can spend an evening at Monday Night Raw and then turn around and write about nail designs and glitter with just as much sincere, unadulterated delight. She's a firm believer in cats' ability to see ghosts, the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the fact that if she wishes enough, she'll never have to iron again.

, ,

11 Responses to Meet the Pun-and-Only ModCloth Fashion Writing Team!

1. Valerie C. 11/18/2013 at 5:23 pm #

Love.This.Post. Really great pics too !!

2. Cindy (ModCloth) 11/18/2013 at 5:51 pm #

I love you guys!

3. Zie Darling 11/18/2013 at 8:10 pm #

My dream job is to work for/with Modcloth (especially on things like this or in the blog/social outreach). You guys are handsdown my favorite company and a constant inspiration to me. OPEN A NASHVILLE LOCATION PLEASE!!! ;)
    Wonderful post, please do eleventy-billion more behind the scenes posts!
    -Zie Darling

4. Krystle 11/19/2013 at 7:31 am #

ModCloth fashion writers are the best! As a blossoming fashion copywriter, your team is truly a source of inspiration for me! Thanks for sharing your typical day :)

5. Hannah Stewart 11/19/2013 at 10:47 am #

Love to see where all the shiny names for your fabulous frocks come from! Keep up the good work and here are some positive thoughts for not having writers block, ever!

6. Corey 11/19/2013 at 12:39 pm #

What a fun look into the creative process at Modcloth! I was excited to see the shoe I just bought in those photos.

7. ajwritz33480pb 11/20/2013 at 9:14 am #

I admire the fresh concept of ModCloth. I consider myself a “Rag Hag”. (my own phrase) a dyed-in-the-wool, can’t help-it-it’s-in-my-veins fashion maniac. When I was little, my Mom used to make me remove 1 piece of jewelry before heading out to Sunday School because I wanted to wear everything in my jewelry box, gloves, the right purse, etc. I was lucky enough to have an indulgent Aunt who was a Fashionista b4 the word was coined and she took me shopping with her every Saturday. I even had my own sales lady at Kiddie Town. I used to kneel on the floor to pretend my fit and flare dresses of the late 50s (mostly hand-me-downs) were ball gowns. ModCloth is one of the most original from the floor up concept to hit fashion in decades. I love it that we can VOTE on what we want to see! How cool is that! I just wish the waist sizes on fit and flare dresses were bigger. I would buy them. I’m a woman “of a certain age” but I’m not dead yet and ModCloth allows me to think about ordering vintage-style clothes that would never fit me if they were truly Vintage. Women seemed to have been, I don’t know, sized differently then. Or maybe it was those weird girdles that allowed them to get into those wasp-sized waist measurements. You’re doing a great job! I hope you carry on forever! And maybe have some retail stores someday!

8. Suzanne 11/20/2013 at 9:28 am #

You guys are so awesome! This would be such a fun job. I don’t think I could do it myself though – I fail when you guys run those Dress Naming Contests! Coming up with clever product names is trickier than it seems. The things you come up with always bring a smile to my face :)

Suzanne
    A Coin For the Well

9. Kate Z. (ModCloth) 11/20/2013 at 5:13 pm #

Great post! I sat in on one of the “Namestorms” awhile back and really enjoyed it. I’ve always appreciated that positivity & open-mindedness are such core components of ModCloth’s brand.

10. Ally Wright 11/21/2013 at 11:43 am #

This is my absolute dream job; I love ModCloth and I’m going to school for English and Creative Writing. You guys are so awesome!

11. Jené 12/03/2013 at 3:48 pm #

great read! I love ModCloth so much and it’s fun to see the inner workings.