Announcing Make the Cut: ‘Prints’ Charming

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

800x200

Creative community members, gather ‘round! This edition of our Make the Cut Contest has a twist that’s not to be missed — instead of giving you a fabric swatch to base a garment on, we’re asking you to design a print that we’ll use for a new run of a 100% cotton ModCloth frock! So, check out the silhouette you’ll be designing for, and then start sketching a new print for this dress.

Technical

We’ll accept your submissions until 9:01 a.m. PT on 2/14, then our Creative Team will choose their top 20 picks. Now, here’s where the contest gets interesting: Amanda Needham, the Costume Designer of Portlandia, will be our guest judge! She’ll narrow our final picks down to 10 fabric designs — the ones you’ll get to vote for and comment on from 12 p.m. PT, 3/3 to 12 p.m. PT, 3/10 via Be the Buyer, our host for this edition of Make the Cut. We’ll officially declare our winner with a blog announcement on 3/12.

What’s in store for the wonderful winner? First, the winning fabric will be produced exclusively in our darling dress silhouette — with the fabric designer’s name on the tag — and sold on ModCloth.com. Plus, we’ll we’ll send the designer this frock and $500. Sounds neat, right?

But before you start, please read the deets below to ensure that your fabric designs are eligible…

Guidelines for the contest:

• Fabric prints should be designed in our Air of Adorable Dress template here.
  • Each in-template design should include an additional close-up image of the fabric design.
  • All Image submissions should be no larger than 5MB, and image resolution should be 300 DPI.
  • Acceptable file formats are PDF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, or GIF.
  • Please submit scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch on a white/light grey background (low-quality images may be declined).
  • Print designs must be both unlicensed and undistributed at the time of submission.
  • If submissions include other items, please specify which part of the sketch is being entered in the contest.
  • Entries should be designed to work for the provided dress template.
  • Keep in mind that you’re designing for the ModCloth customer, and we’re unlikely to produce couture details or luxury materials.
  • Our Creative Team will choose 20 sketches based on judging criteria.
  • From the top 20 sketches, guest judge Amanda Needham, the Costume Designer of Portlandia, will select 10 fabric designs. Then, we’ll post them on Be the Buyer for community voting from 12 p.m. PT, 3/3 to 12 p.m. PT, 3/10.
  • Before announcing the winner, we’ll double-check that the Be the Buyer votes are legitimate.
  • If you don’t get a confirmation email after submitting, let us know at makethecutcontest@modcloth.com.
  • Sketches do not need to be in color, but it is encouraged to best convey your vision. Please note that designs should be limited to 5 – 7 color hues or variations. For example, 3 variations of green would count as 3 of your 7 colors.
  • The winning fabric design will be produced as a recurring pattern on 100% cotton material.

And now, the rules:

• All entries must be submitted via Submittable.
  • No email submissions will be accepted.
  • You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 textile designs. For each design, please remember to include both in-template sketches and close-up images of the fabric.
  • Entries should include the following additional files: 1) A description or visual representation of your inspiration for each textile design, and 2) Completion of this document, which includes a Copyright Assignment Agreement for you to sign, along with a Statement of Publishing for you to record the dates when your designs were created and first shared (whether in person, online, or in print). These forms will be handy if your design wins!
  • Sketches and accompanying files may be submitted up until 9:01 a.m. PT on 2/14.
  • Fabric designs will be judged on marketability, produce-ability, print creativity, and how well they fit with the ModCloth aesthetic.
  • With your submission(s), please include your first and last name as you’d like to see it appear for voting and on a clothing label. Feel free to tell us anything else about your sketches, including how you’d style the Air of Adorable Dress if produced with your fabric design.
  • The winner will be announced on 3/12 via the blog.
  • One winning sketch will be chosen, and $500 will be awarded for it.
  • Additional winners may be chosen at the discretion of ModCloth.
  • The winning design will be produced and sold on ModCloth.com, and feature the fabric designer’s name on the tag.
  • Contestants under 18 must have a parent or guardian write a letter of consent, and upload it as an attachment with your entry in Submittable (Example: If you upload 5 separate sketches, a description of your inspiration, a Statement of Publishing, and your signed copyright assignment agreement, you would then upload your scanned consent as file #9).
  • Currently, this contest is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents.

Now, with the guidelines and rules under your belt, it’s time to start designing! Will your inspired and innovative print be sewn into our next Air of Adorable Dress with a personalized tag? Could our $500 prize reward your ambitious sketching? Only one way to know — enter!

If you have any questions, check out our legal info, or email makethecutcontest@modcloth.com.

About ModCloth

255 Responses to Announcing Make the Cut: ‘Prints’ Charming

1. Melanie 02/03/2014 at 10:39 am #

Awesome! I’ll try to upload my design!

2. Sydney 02/03/2014 at 12:10 pm #

What a fun contest, this is going to be a blast!

3. Emma 02/03/2014 at 12:46 pm #

So cool! What mediums are allowed? For example, can you use a photograph, either of scenery, or of a handmade collage, or is that too difficult to print?

• ModCloth 02/03/2014 at 1:41 pm #

Hi Emma! Your submission needs to work as a repeat print on the dress. You can absolutely use a photograph or collage as an inspiration, you’ll just need to render it to show how you picture it as a repeat print on the dress. Good luck!

4. Ana 02/03/2014 at 2:14 pm #

Why is it only open for US citizens or residentes? There will be no cultural variety and I will not be able to participate ):

• ModCloth 02/03/2014 at 2:40 pm #

Hi Ana! Because of the differing production and retail laws in the US and the UK, we’re currently only able to extend this contest to US citizens. I’m so sorry this restricts you from submitting a design. You CAN participate in the voting period from March 3rd to 10th on Be the Buyer, though!

5. Sophie 02/03/2014 at 4:56 pm #

This sounds awesome!! Could the textile design also be created in a graphic design software (such as Adobe Illustrator) instead of sketched?

• ModCloth 02/04/2014 at 7:58 am #

Hi Sophie! Thanks for asking! Of course, just be sure to include one with the silhouette template and one close up!

6. Logan 02/03/2014 at 5:59 pm #

Quick question: May I submit designs that I have in my design gallery on my Spoonflower account? Many of these designs are not yet for sale, and if chosen, I can very quickly remove the design from Spoonflower.

7. Logan 02/03/2014 at 6:17 pm #

One more question: Should our in-template design and closeup both be on the same file, just moved over to the side a bit? Also, may I include an additional closER-up up to show a bit more detail? Many thanks!

• ModCloth 02/04/2014 at 11:02 am #

Hi Logan! You CAN submit from your Spoonflower account as long as the designs have never been produced or licensed before. :) If you’d like to submit several designs, add the in-template and close up on the same file would be fine. The more examples, the better! :)

8. Madeline 02/03/2014 at 8:41 pm #

No Canadian entries? We’re neighbours though?! Oh well- it would’ve been fun to practice textile patterning.

• ModCloth 02/04/2014 at 8:49 am #

I’m sorry, Madeline! You CAN participate in the voting period from March 3rd to 10th on Be the Buyer!

9. Nicollette 02/04/2014 at 12:38 am #

Does it have to be a sketch? Or can I submit textiles I’ve designed on Illustrator? Thanks!

• ModCloth 02/04/2014 at 8:50 am #

You can definitely use rendering software, just make sure to include the silhouette and the close up rendering. Thanks for asking, Nicollette!

10. Amber Sweaza 02/04/2014 at 6:43 am #

What season are we creating for?

• ModCloth 02/04/2014 at 8:50 am #

Hi Amber! These will take a bit of time to produce; they’re slated to launch in the Summer season.

11. Sarai 02/04/2014 at 6:47 am #

I’m so excited for this!!! I’m a bit confused by the wording of the guidelines, though. It says: “Please submit scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch on a white/light grey background.” Does this mean that our print has to be designed on a white/light grey background only, or just that the picture of our print has to be on a white background? I’m trying to explain clearly what I mean… for instance, if I wanted to do yellow dress with owls printed on it (this is not my idea, just an example, since Modcloth carries so many owl print items lol), could I do that? Or would the owls have to be printed on a white/light grey dress to comply with the guidelines? Does that question make sense? Thanks!

• ModCloth 02/04/2014 at 8:00 am #

Hi Saral! Your dress can be up to 7 colors! We just ask that the paper you draw it on is white or light grey. Thank you for checking!

12. Logan 02/04/2014 at 11:02 am #

Is it alright if the background is colored rather than white?

• ModCloth 02/04/2014 at 11:03 am #

The dress’ background can totally be colored! We just ask the paper or file you create on is white or light grey! Thanks for checking, Logan.

13. Douglas 02/04/2014 at 2:32 pm #

It has to be a repeating pattern? So there can’t be something in the middle with different designs elsewhere?

• ModCloth 02/05/2014 at 12:27 pm #

Correct! Thanks for asking, Douglas! :)

14. dottiemakesmagic 02/04/2014 at 2:37 pm #

Reblogged this on Dottie Makes Magic and commented:
    Hmm, I think I might give this a go! Pattern making commence!

• ModCloth 02/06/2014 at 12:56 pm #

Can’t wait to see your entry!

15. Tatyana 'Avo' 02/04/2014 at 8:56 pm #

Just curious, is this for a limited licensing thing or do you guys want all the rights to the designs/pattern illustrations?

16. Jesi 02/04/2014 at 11:15 pm #

Question! I want to use one of the designs I’ve used to make plushes in my etsy shop – but with added details / different colors – would that be okay to use or do all my designs need to be 100% different from the artwork I make and sell? I hope that question makes sense! ❤️

• ModCloth 02/06/2014 at 12:54 pm #

Hi Jesi! You can totally enter! Just be sure to include your inspiration documents, so we can see how your designs differ. Feel free to poke around the site, maybe you can find new inspirations! :)

17. Naomi 02/05/2014 at 1:49 pm #

Can the design include a repeating border print?

• ModCloth 02/06/2014 at 12:55 pm #

Hi Naomi! Due to production restrictions, we ask that it’s just a repeating pattern, without addition details. Good luck!

18. Kelly 02/05/2014 at 2:10 pm #

Hi! Does the repeated pattern have to cover the whole dress entirely or can there be breaks of solid color?

• ModCloth 02/06/2014 at 12:56 pm #

Hi, Kelly! We do ask the pattern covers the whole dress. Thanks for checking. :)

19. Joyce 02/06/2014 at 9:17 am #

Hi, you might want to tell your marketing department to only send out the newsletter about this contest “A $500 prize could be just a sketch away…‏” to people located in the US.
    Kinda bummed out to spend 5 minutes reading something I won’t be able to participate in.
    Also, since newsletters cost money, you are wasting budget.
    Good luck to all the attendees!

• Polen 02/06/2014 at 12:50 pm #

Yes I couldn’t agree more. Or at least you could name this email “contest for US mod shoppers!” or something. The statement that says it is only for US citizens is at the veery bottom of the whole thing…

• ModCloth 02/06/2014 at 12:57 pm #

Thanks SO much for the feedback, Joyce! I’ll be sure to pass on your feedback. I appreciate it!

20. jesi 02/06/2014 at 9:38 am #

“you assign all rights, title and interest in and to the Design (and other related entry materials), including the copyright and any other intellectual property or other rights in the Design and other related entry materials, to ModCloth.”

does this mean I would no longer be able to use the graphics in my design for the paintings and plushes that i sell in my etsy shop? sorry for repeating the question…it’s just really important to know before i submit my designs.

• ModCloth 02/06/2014 at 12:59 pm #

Hi Jesi! The right to sell the pattern that wins the Make the Cut contest, lies solely with ModCloth. If you enter something, be sure to make it a new and unique print! :)

• Nicole Wiseman 02/06/2014 at 1:23 pm #

Let’s say I have this design on shirts and such in my store, and would want to continue selling it but think it would make a amazing print for a dress. So even by submitting it, you would own the rights to my design? What if I had changes to the one I submitted to you guys but had a version still for my own things? Am I still allowed to use my original design not submitted to you on other things?

21. Heather 02/06/2014 at 9:46 am #

I really wish this contest included countries outside of the U.S. [for example, Canada ;)]. I would love to enter this contest if I could.

22. hmsophia 02/06/2014 at 9:48 am #

I really wish this contest was available to residents of countries other than the U.S. (in my case, Canada). I would absolutely love to be able to enter this contest.

• ModCloth 02/06/2014 at 1:00 pm #

I’m so sorry to hear you’re disappointed. You can, however, participate in the voting period from March 3rd to 10th on Be the Buyer! We’d love to hear your opinion!

23. J 02/06/2014 at 10:53 am #

Does this mean that Modcloth would own the patterns used in the designs even if the contributor doesn’t win? So we wouldn’t own our patterns anymore after submitting/wouldn’t be able to do anything with them afterwards, even if we weren’t the winner? I read through all of the contest rules but I’m still not clear on this.

• ModCloth 02/06/2014 at 1:01 pm #

Hi J! Only the winning design’s rights are transferred to ModCloth. Thanks for checking! :)

24. Melissa Nichol 02/06/2014 at 11:33 am #

Aww! I was so excited until I read it was only open to US Citizens. Canadians miss out on all of the fun :(

• Ashley 02/06/2014 at 12:39 pm #

We always miss out on the fun stuff like this :(

• ModCloth 02/06/2014 at 1:02 pm #

Hi Melissa! Not ALL the fun, you can participate in voting from March 3-10! We’d love to hear your thoughts!

• Emily 02/07/2014 at 1:30 am #

Well — voting isn’t creating. If the laws differ, wouldn’t it be possible to just state that “by participating in this contest you agree to US production and retail laws”? Or is there actually a law that prevents Europeans and Canadians from designing patterns to be produced and sold in the US?

25. Ashley 02/06/2014 at 12:35 pm #

Please make it open to Canada too :( I wanna do it!

26. Sarah 02/06/2014 at 12:47 pm #

You should have put the only open for US citizens at the top. I wouldn’t have read the whole thing then. :(

• olesya 02/06/2014 at 8:36 pm #

I agree. It was a great dissapointment

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:31 am #

Hi Sarah! I’ll be sure to pass on your feedback. So sorry that you’re disappointed.

27. Rachael 02/06/2014 at 1:05 pm #

I am confused about the 7 colors thing. For example: If i use 7 different colored pencils, one of which is green would pressing down harder or lighter with that green colored pencil make it count as separate shades of green? Also, if i drew green over blue. Would the combination of blue and green count as a seperate color? How could i keep watercolor in specific shades? Thanks!

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:33 am #

Hi Raechel! Any variance in hue is consider a color. So if you’re blending them, please count your overlapping colors as another shade.

28. Brandi 02/06/2014 at 1:10 pm #

Does it have to stick with the theme of the name “Air of Adorable”?

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:33 am #

Hi Brandi! You can get as creative as you’d like. It doesn’t have to stick with the name. Hope that helps!

29. Kelly 02/06/2014 at 1:27 pm #

Hi! Can an individual submit more than one pattern idea?

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:34 am #

Hi Kelly! Yup! Up to 5 different designs.

30. gilove2dance 02/06/2014 at 1:31 pm #

I am utterly heartbroken that this is only for U.S. residents…as I was reading through the rules I came up with an idea and everything and then BAM. A slap in the face. I live so close to the border….

• Itziar 02/07/2014 at 5:51 am #

So this happend to me!!! Unfortunately I live veeeeeeeeeeeeery far away from the US border (just across the Athlantic X-((((().

• Ekky 02/12/2014 at 4:23 pm #

Same! I was like ” YES! I’ve always dreamed about having a dress made with my design! How incredible YesyesyesyesYEY!!!!!!! And I’m Australian…..darn…..coulda at least not put it right at the very very end after we got all excited…..dreams cruushheedd >.<

31. Megan 02/06/2014 at 1:54 pm #

I’m curious about what you’re envisioning for pattern repetition. Do you want a pattern designed that is square-ish in size and can be reproduced across the entire dress, or can the repetition be on a larger scale?

Also, would you consider using contrasting fabrics for the top and bottom, or do we want to keep it uniform? (I’m envisioning some larger pattern on the bottom, and possibly a solid color on the top)

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:36 am #

Hi Megan! You are free to determine the scale of your print, as long as it repeats. We ask that the design encompasses the whole garment, no contrasting fabrics. Can’t wait to see your entry!

32. alexandra 02/06/2014 at 1:55 pm #

shame us european ModCloth lovers cannot enter the cometition!
    :-(

• Linda 02/06/2014 at 2:45 pm #

Tell me about it! :(

33. Kathryn 02/06/2014 at 1:56 pm #

Please make your contests open to Canadians!

34. juliamonroe 02/06/2014 at 1:57 pm #

Can the design be drawn in photoshop? If so, do you still want a hand-drawn sketch of the photoshop file?

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:36 am #

Hi there! You can totally use software to render your design, no need for hand drawing too.

35. Starbuck 02/06/2014 at 2:15 pm #

I think an example of exactly what you are looking for would benefit us greatly.

36. S 02/06/2014 at 2:28 pm #

Yay. Only US residents… You should put that at the top so people don’t get excited too quickly :P I had an idea and everything.

37. clarissa 02/06/2014 at 2:30 pm #

Can the design be done digitally using photoshop? For example using a tablet to draw up the designs.

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:37 am #

You sure can!

38. Claire708057 02/06/2014 at 2:47 pm #

Can this be done in photo shop?
    And do you have to be following the blog?
    (Sorry if I sound like a newbie, cause I’m kinda new)

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:38 am #

Hi Claire! You don’t have to be following the blog, but were glad to see you here! :) And yup, feel free to use Photoshop.

39. Claire708057 02/06/2014 at 2:48 pm #

If you win the contest- do you get some of the profits that modcloth gets from the dress?

40. Ashleigh 02/06/2014 at 3:08 pm #

Aww man, so disappointed that I won’t be able to participate. I thought this was a super cool idea until I read all the way down at the bottom “only open to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents”. You got my hopes up!

41. zurhentsetseg 02/06/2014 at 3:24 pm #

Hi ModCloth!

How many sketches can one contestant sumbit?

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:39 am #

Up to 5, zurhentsetseg! Good luck!

42. Clara 02/06/2014 at 4:00 pm #

I was wondering if how the you an take the sketch and make it look like real fabric?

43. Clara 02/06/2014 at 4:01 pm #

i mean how u can make it look real…

44. Paula 02/06/2014 at 4:08 pm #

I am so excited!!! I can’t wait to submit my design! :)

45. Kara 02/06/2014 at 5:02 pm #

So disappointed! I created a design and everything, and THEN I saw that it was for US citizens only! Do you reckon a US citizen could submit it for me? haha

46. Sharon Stone Gibson 02/06/2014 at 5:06 pm #

I would like to enter. I am a US citizen living in Costa Rica. Is it possible to enter? Please advise.

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:40 am #

Hi Sharon, unfortunately you have to be residing in the states as well. We encourage you to vote on the finalists on Be the Buyer, though!

47. carolmesquitamanzi@msn.com 02/06/2014 at 5:08 pm #

I really wanted to participate sad :-( My website: http://www.carolmanzi.com

48. Cheyenne 02/06/2014 at 5:31 pm #

So, just to make sure I understand this, I know we’re giving you guys the ok to produce the dress with the design and such, but are we completely signing over the rights of the fabric design to you guys?
    Like, we can’t use it for anything after we enter it in the contest?

I know you guys need the freedom to use our design in whatever way you want, but it would still be nice to do something with the design for ourselves should the opportunity arise – especially if we don’t get selected as the top ten or winner!

Looking forward to entering! Thanks! :D

• Cheyenne 02/06/2014 at 5:45 pm #

Ah, just saw my previous question was sort of answered earlier, lol. XD

But even with the winning design, again, you guys will obviously have the freedom to do what you want, but what if the winner wants to do something with the design? Not make money off it necessarily, but what if the winner “produces” it for themselves?
      Like, what if they want to do their own dress design with that print for themselves, and they find a site that will let them order some fabric with their design (like the site some have mentioned above), so they make can make a dress for themselves, not for profit?

It would be cool if you also sent the winner a few yards of fabric with their winning print though. :)

• Charlotte 02/07/2014 at 6:43 am #

Production of a replica item for oneself does not count as a breach of copyright under US law. As long as the produced item is not exchanged for profit then you are good to go. This would mean, however, that you would have to produce the print yourself. Ordering the print from a custom fabric service would be a breach of US copyright. It’s just like how if you paint Mickey Mouse (one of the newer character designs) on your wall, binder, or t-shirt, then Disney co. would not be able to sue you. If you started selling them on your etsy, then they could sue. So you could make the dress yourself. US copyright law tends to be rather vague, transfering almost all right to the intellectual copyright holder. It is so vague that using the same musical note for one second on a recording as another person makes the first person to come forward as having done so elegable to sue. (So Beathoven could sue all of us if he was alive.) This is likely part of why Modcloth decided to make the contest US only. Combining UK and Canadian copyright laws with US ones would make a riddiculously difficult case.

• FYI 02/07/2014 at 10:19 pm #

If you are concerned about this, I would really encourage you to speak with a lawyer. Copyright law is VERY complicated. Although Charlotte is right in many of her statements, her overall assessment is a bit over-simplified. Copyright infringement (like most law) comes down to a series of legal tests, and is almost always open to interpretation.

49. Isabel G. 02/06/2014 at 6:02 pm #

I’m not sure based on what I read, but is there a limit on submitting different designs?

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:42 am #

Hi Isabel! You can submit 5 different designs. :)

50. Ange 02/06/2014 at 6:11 pm #

Is it too juvenile to just use crayons to color directly on the template? That’s what I did, it’s not very proffessional looking though. :)

51. Cassandra 02/06/2014 at 6:17 pm #

Hopefully this isn’t too dumb a questions, but I know it’s a thing in the printing industry: do black or white count as colors?

• Cassandra 02/06/2014 at 6:17 pm #

*question

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:43 am #

Depends on your desired background color. Just to be safe, please count black and white as colors. Good luck!

52. Lauren 02/06/2014 at 7:22 pm #

can we take a picture of the design and then print it and send it to you or do you email it to you or something

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:44 am #

Hi Lauren! You submit it through Submittable, the link is in the blog post above. No email submissions will be considered.

• Jacey 02/09/2014 at 9:19 am #

I’ve been in the submittable site and wondering how to you submit it through there I have no idea?

53. Marissa 02/06/2014 at 8:03 pm #

I’m kind of confused! so do I enter the print ON the dress template, or just on it’s own? Can I just send a sketch of one thing that will repeat on the dress as a pattern?

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:45 am #

Hi Marissa! You send both, a close up drawing of the repeat pattern and then draw the print into the template. Hope that helps!

• Marissa 02/07/2014 at 11:40 am #

Thanks! it does! :) I will definitely be entering!

54. Angela 02/06/2014 at 8:14 pm #

Your description states:

“Plus, we’ll we’ll send the designer this frock and $500.”

It doesn’t bother me that “we’ll” is twice…but I would want someone to tell me if it was my post :)

55. Patricia 02/06/2014 at 8:32 pm #

So, if I find a print that inspires me, BUT I decide to switch it up a bit, add or take some things out, you still want to see where I got my idea from, correct?

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:45 am #

Correct! Thanks for checking Patricia!

56. olesya 02/06/2014 at 8:35 pm #

It`s not fair that other countries can not take part in this contest:((( If we can buy, we must have an opportunity to take part either!

57. siplbunny 02/06/2014 at 8:57 pm #

Question!. Can we submit the same design but with color variations? dress background color variations but the same patter, etc?. should we submit the same design with different colors in the same page? or each color qualifies or counts a single entry option?. Also i am a bit confused on how each final entry is presented for the voting. Should upload the template page with he pattern on it, and the close up big next to it inside the same image? or the dress template is separate form the close up image?.
    Thanks!

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:47 am #

You can totally submit the same print in different colors, each variation will count as an entry. If you’ll be submitting several designs, it’s best to submit the template drawing and the close up on the same page/file. We’ll get them ready for the voting page. :)

58. Kathryn 02/06/2014 at 9:10 pm #

Does black as an outline count as one of the colors?

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:47 am #

It sure does!

59. Allison 02/06/2014 at 9:27 pm #

Do the designs have to have a theme? Or do we have free reign about the design?

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:48 am #

Hi Allison! It’s all up to your creativity! Can’t wait to see!

60. Bethany 02/06/2014 at 10:36 pm #

1.Are the rights to the print retained permanently by ModCloth or for a limited time period?

2.Is the first published date the same as the date submitted or the contest?

• Rebecca Tan 02/07/2014 at 5:00 am #

Oh im devastated! to be english!! nooooooooo why! Such a shame was planning ideas! xxx

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:49 am #

Hi Bethany! ModCloth retains the rights permanently and the published date is the first time you showed someone. If no one has ever seen it, submission is your date of entry. :)

61. Kate Bouman 02/07/2014 at 12:05 am #

I was so so excited until I read the last rule. Almost tempted to change nationalities so I can enter.

62. Xanxan 02/07/2014 at 6:17 am #

What about non-resident aliens, living in the US? :)

63. Caro 02/07/2014 at 6:54 am #

Hi! I want to know if I can use Corel Draw or Ilustrator. thank you

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:49 am #

Hi Caro! Of course!

64. kalenalangford 02/07/2014 at 7:30 am #

How should the additional close up be submitted?

• ModCloth 02/07/2014 at 8:50 am #

Hi there! You can include them on the same file, side by side.

65. P 02/07/2014 at 8:04 am #

Why oh why are the contests only open for U:S residents? I believe many of us international people would love to take part.

66. Kristy 02/07/2014 at 8:39 am #

“Only open to US residents” — The very last line of the rules. You couldn’t have found a way to filter out Canadians from your email list, so your maple syrupy friends don’t waste their time reading/getting excited? Or at least Slip somewhere in the slogan “For all of our American Modclothers, we have a new addition of our make the cut contest..” Sloppy and disappointing – I love getting invited for things I’m not allowed to participate in.

• gabriela 02/08/2014 at 7:39 am #

I feel exactly the same way. I was freaking out all excited and made 4 sketches. and then the VERY last line was “oh oops only people in ‘murica!”!! Should’ve been the first not last. This has ticked me off more than i’d like to admit. so inconsiderate that’s what it is.

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 11:53 am #

Hi Kristy! I’m SO sorry you’re disappointed. We’ve passed on your sentiment to the appropriate people!

67. Mikhaela 02/07/2014 at 9:36 am #

I’m so excited to do this!! What exactly does the parent consent letter have to include? :-]]]

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 11:54 am #

Hi Mikhaela! It can just be a scanned note from your parents. Please include your name, the contest name and note of permission. Thanks!

68. Natale 02/07/2014 at 9:44 am #

How many prints/sketches are we allowed to submit? Is it one entry per contestant?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 11:54 am #

Natale, you can only enter once, but can include 5 print designs.:)

69. Lizzie 02/07/2014 at 10:16 am #

I was wondering how do you want us to put the design onto the template? Seeing as we need both an image of it inside the template and of the design itself, I’m not sure how to put the design onto the template.

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 11:55 am #

You can print and draw in the template or upload it into a rendering software. Hope that helps!

70. Bu 02/07/2014 at 11:05 am #

Can I submit digitally drawn sketches?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 11:55 am #

Sure can, Bu!

71. Beth Seltzer 02/07/2014 at 11:06 am #

i can’t seem to get the template to open on my laptop and having a hard time copying it into anything on my iPad. i could try doing something on my old Powerbook, but if you could email me the file or make it available for download, i would really appreciate it. thanks!

72. Victoria 02/07/2014 at 11:09 am #

Once the top 10 designs are picked, if yours is chosen, can you share your design on social medias to invite friends to vote?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 11:57 am #

Absolutely, Victoria! :)

73. Emma 02/07/2014 at 11:32 am #

Such a Shame I’m not able to join in on the fun! Read the whole thing, got really excited and ready to be creative, only to see the last line: US only… Goodluck to those who are entering though.

74. Kris 02/07/2014 at 12:48 pm #

Are there minimum or maximum dimensions for the pattern? Specifically, can there be a pattern that is essentially the height of the garment, but only a few inches wide, therefore only repeating in one direction?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 11:59 am #

Sure! Would love to see what you come up with!

75. Reese 02/07/2014 at 12:51 pm #

Will the print cover the whole dress, or can it cover just pieces of it? It would still be a print but just not over the entire dress.

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 11:59 am #

It’ll cover the whole dress. Thanks for asking Reese!

76. Lindsey 02/07/2014 at 1:05 pm #

Is there an age requirement for this competition?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:00 pm #

Nope! We just need parental consent if you’re under 18! :)

77. ishbudesign 02/07/2014 at 1:10 pm #

Is there a size limit to the pattern? Can the pattern be the height of the garment, and repeated horizontally, or does the pattern need to be able to repeat both horizontally and vertically?

78. Misti Elliott 02/07/2014 at 1:26 pm #

I printed out the template to start sketching when I realized the print of the dress is really small and my designs aren’t very visible on it. Plus, the lines drawn on the dress in the template are in the way. Is there another option as to how it is sketched?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:01 pm #

We ask for the print on the dress and in a swatch form, that way we can see it more clearer. Hope that helps!

79. Maria Carolina 02/07/2014 at 5:55 pm #

You could open this for fans of ModCloth all over the world! I’m from Brazil, and I was very excited to participate, till I read one of the last rules…
    Just when I had the idea for the perfect dress!!!
    Not cool…

80. BreAnne Turner 02/07/2014 at 7:12 pm #

I am really excited about this contest! I do have a question though; I can’t tell from the template, but does the skirt of the dress have side seams, or just a closure in the back??

81. Jacey 02/07/2014 at 7:21 pm #

Hi my name is jacey and I want to enter! But I’m pretty confused on how this works
    I’m hoping you can help me understand.
    How do I submit a scetch if I usually draw with pencils and paper or can you you mail it in?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:02 pm #

Hi Jacey! You can hand draw! Just scan the image and then upload it to Submittable, you can find the link above. :)

82. Hanna 02/08/2014 at 12:34 am #

Does the background color of the dress count as one of the 7 colors? My pattern already has seven colors, but the background color of the dress is different so that would make it 8. Would that be okay?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:03 pm #

Hi Hanna, unfortunately, we ask that the background is included in the 7 colors.

83. Bethany 02/08/2014 at 6:49 am #

Would showing piping break the repeating pattern rule?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:04 pm #

Hi Bethany, feel free to get creative on your entry, just now when produced the winning dress won’t have any embellishments.

84. gabriela 02/08/2014 at 7:33 am #

Being Canadian seriously blows right now. It’s quite unfair, it’s as if we are a forge in country. I had great ideas and wanted to finally become more serious in dress designing but now i’ll never have the chance. Way to get me all excited.. oh well. don’t think it’s even worth voting now

85. CAROL MANZI 02/08/2014 at 9:14 am #

Aww! I was so excited until I read it was only open to US Citizens. Brazilians miss out on all of the fun :(
    My website : http://www.carolmanzi.com

86. Bethany 02/08/2014 at 10:32 am #

Would a colorblock hemline break the repeating pattern rule?

87. Jenna 02/08/2014 at 11:23 am #

Is it alright to take the outline photos and put them straight into the photoshop? It would make thing much easier.

88. Jenna 02/08/2014 at 11:31 am #

It actually is breaking the rules. I’m sorry

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:04 pm #

Hi Jenna! You can totally render in Photoshop!

89. John 02/08/2014 at 1:35 pm #

So…the dress template is a PDF file which doesn’t open in photoshop and when I print out the pattern it has all kinds of extra lines that are not showing in your drawing.

90. Claire 02/08/2014 at 1:55 pm #

How do we submit the document? My scanner isn’t working. Can we do it online somehow?

91. Katie 02/08/2014 at 2:06 pm #

So, kind of an odd question- if I create a print with watercolor, for printing purposes, would different intensities of the same color count as different colors? So, for example, if I use one variety of blue, but the color is darker and more concentrated, say, toward the inside or edges of a shape, would that count as different colors? Thanks so much!

• Rachael 02/11/2014 at 11:28 am #

Hi Katie,

I’m in the textile industry and currently work for Anthropologie. Each color, even at different tones and intensities count as a different color. The less colors…the less it will cost to make the print. Each color that is used requires another screen to be made for printing and therefore ups the price. Hope that cleared it up for you.

• Katie 02/12/2014 at 8:22 am #

Thank you so much, that was really helpful!

92. Maggie 02/08/2014 at 2:19 pm #

Does the brief description of the design that is in the chart with the dates of publication count as the description of our inspiration or do we need to include separate documents with longer descriptions as well? I’m referring to the chart that is in the same document as the Copyright Assignment Agreement.

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:08 pm #

Hi Maggie! The more information and image references, the better! :)

93. AJ 02/09/2014 at 8:32 am #

I read over the Copyright Assignment Agreement, and I’m a little confused. It states that all right to distribute, produce, and transfer the design goes solely to Modcloth. Does this mean that Modcloth owns the designs that aren’t chosen as winners?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:08 pm #

Hi AJ! Nope, only the winning design will have the copyright transferred to ModCloth.

94. Odette 02/09/2014 at 8:54 am #

Can we use metallic colors in our design, like gold or silver, or should the prints be in classic matte colors only?

• Mikaela 02/11/2014 at 9:22 am #

I think it would be refreshing to see something different.

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:09 pm #

Sure! Get creative, Odette!

95. Jacey 02/09/2014 at 9:13 am #

How do I submit my design in submittable?

96. Kristen 02/09/2014 at 12:17 pm #

Is it ok to add details like collars, buttons, or belts to the dress? Or should we stick strictly to the pattern provided?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:09 pm #

Hi Kristen! Please stick with the provided template! Thanks a bunch!

97. Lexi 02/09/2014 at 2:17 pm #

Hi ModCloth! Super excited and you are so gracious to answer a million questions (some of them multiple times!) Anywho, another question :o) … you outlined that our images should not exceed 300 DPI, in Adobe terms is this 300 PPI?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:10 pm #

Yup they’re interchangeable design terms!

98. Douglas 02/09/2014 at 5:09 pm #

Sorry to add another question to this page but is it alright if the template w/ the pattern and the close-up of the pattern are in separate files? (:

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:10 pm #

Sure! As long as you don’t exceed 15 files total.

99. Savannah 02/09/2014 at 6:00 pm #

How do we send a close-up image of a fabric design.

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:11 pm #

Same as all the other files. Feel free to digitally render or scan and then upload to Submittable. :)

100. Nia 02/09/2014 at 6:13 pm #

Should it be in marker, colored pencil, or digital? Or which would be easier?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:11 pm #

Whatever you prefer, Nia!

101. Geraldyne 02/09/2014 at 6:29 pm #

I submitted my entry but I forgot one design. Can I submit it as an other entry? Is any way that I can attach it to my first entry? Or do I need to wait for an other contest? Anyway, thanks for the chance! Hope you like my ideas :)

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:12 pm #

Hi Geraldyne, you can withdraw your submission and re enter!

102. vyanhnguyen 02/09/2014 at 7:10 pm #

Hi! You responded to a comment earlier with this: “If you’d like to submit several designs, add the in-template and close up on the same file would be fine. The more examples, the better! :)”
    Does that mean we can submit more than one pattern idea to the competition or are we only allowed to submit one design? Thank you!

103. Christina 02/09/2014 at 11:07 pm #

I’m also a little unclear on how we submit the agreement document if we don’t have access to a scanner?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:12 pm #

Christina, you can try taking a photo and uploading that!

104. Shannon Newlin 02/10/2014 at 7:27 am #

After reading the copyright agreement it looks like the rights are transferred just by entering the contest, even if you are not chosen the winner. Am I interpreting this correctly? Thank you.

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:14 pm #

Hi Shannon! Just the winning design will do so.

• Shannon Newlin 02/12/2014 at 12:27 pm #

Thank you for your response! :)

105. Patricia 02/10/2014 at 2:06 pm #

We are restricted to only seven colors. This also includes different shades of a certain color, right?

• Patricia 02/10/2014 at 2:25 pm #

Didn’t know how to delete my comment, but I got my answer. :o)

106. Audrey 02/10/2014 at 3:45 pm #

So when this dress shows up on Modcloth, will it say Air of Adorable in Prints Charming, or just Air of Adorable? Many prints would go with ‘Prints Charming’, but many more would just go with the generic name of the dress. Or will the dress be named based on the print??? Please answer!

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:14 pm #

Hi Audrey! The name doesn’t need to restrict your theme, get creative! You can even supply your own name on your entry!

107. Naomi 02/10/2014 at 3:50 pm #

Does the close up image of the design need to be on the same paper as the dress template? Or should it be uploaded as a separate file? Thanks

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:15 pm #

Whatever you prefer as long as you don’t exceed 15 files! :)

108. Patricia 02/10/2014 at 3:59 pm #

I have another question. Sorrryyyy!!! Is it fine if I get images from places such as clipart or would I have to draw everything myself?

• Jenna 02/10/2014 at 4:05 pm #

Hi Patricia! You have to draw everything yourself but not necessarily by hand you could also use Photoshop or illustrator if you’d like :) Hope I could help

• Patricia 02/10/2014 at 4:39 pm #

Okay. Thank you!!! :o)

109. Audrey 02/10/2014 at 6:23 pm #

So how will the title of the dress come out? Based on the print, or is it already selected?

110. Dez 02/10/2014 at 6:33 pm #

I see that Modcloth owns the design if it is chosen as winner, but what if someone wanted to display the design in their portfolio (if picked as the winner)? Are they able to have it on their portfolio or it belongs solely to Modcloth?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:15 pm #

Sure thing, Dez!

111. Dee 02/10/2014 at 6:41 pm #

Does white count as a color?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:16 pm #

Hi Dee! It does!

• Dee 02/12/2014 at 4:54 pm #

Alright, thanks!:)

112. Maribel Wayne 02/10/2014 at 9:17 pm #

How would you write/Where would you find a form for the “letter of consent”? Thanks! XO Maribel

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:16 pm #

Your parents can either type or write one and include it in your submission.

113. Liz 02/10/2014 at 11:45 pm #

I was wondering… does the winner get to pick the size of the dress they get? If yes, up to what size will be available? :D thank you!

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:18 pm #

At this point in time, it looks like they’re available up to 4x. We won’t know for sure until we get to final production stages.

114. Elle 02/11/2014 at 7:02 am #

When it says “up to 5 sketches”, does that mean we can design and submit five textiles, or merely five sketches of the same piece?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:18 pm #

Elle, you can design 5 different prints!

115. Natalie 02/11/2014 at 7:26 am #

This sounds like a great contest. I am just slightly confused, do you have to draw your design on a print out of the silhouette or on a separate sheet of white paper?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:18 pm #

We need it in the template and a close up of the print, like a swatch. :)

116. Mikaela 02/11/2014 at 9:18 am #

Can you use add-ons underneath the skirt of the dress?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:19 pm #

Hi Mikaela! Please design for the provided template.

117. Raven 02/11/2014 at 11:19 am #

Hello there! How do we know if our designs are published?

118. RACHAEL 02/11/2014 at 11:29 am #

The only question I have is what’s the inspiration? Can we design whatever we want?

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:20 pm #

You sure can Rachael!

119. Alison Ervin 02/11/2014 at 3:45 pm #

Do I still lose all rights to my design even if it is not the winner? Also, can I use this design in a portfolio of my work (whether I win or not)?

• Aimee LaRue 02/12/2014 at 8:18 am #

I would also like any answer to this, please? Do the rights to the designs revert back to their designers if they’re not chosen?

• Aimee LaRue 02/12/2014 at 8:34 am #

Sorry. After re-reading the comments, I found my answer. Thanks!

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:21 pm #

Hi there! Only the winning design is copyright transferred to ModCloth. And yes, you can post it to your portfolio if you win. :)

120. Jacqueline Stremple 02/11/2014 at 4:12 pm #

Does black and white count as the 5-7 color limitation?? Thanks!

• ModCloth 02/12/2014 at 12:21 pm #

Sure does!

121. Carolyn 02/11/2014 at 6:05 pm #

We can’t seem to get to the agreement we need to sign on here using your link… it comes up completely black when we try. Any hints?

Thanks!

122. Jesi Evans 02/12/2014 at 12:08 pm #

Besides the in-template design and detail of pattern, does anything else need to be included on the design image itself? (Designer name/signature, name of design, description, inspiration, etc).

123. Brigitte 02/12/2014 at 2:06 pm #

Hi! Just a little confused about this: “Fabric prints should be designed in our Air of Adorable Dress template here.” Does this mean I’m supposed to paint / draw the pattern on that template, and then additionally submit a close-up of the pattern? Or is this template just for inspiration? Thanks!

124. Kelsey 02/12/2014 at 4:26 pm #

Hi, I was wondering if we are actually designing the print on the template because the dress template has very detailed folds and that makes it difficult for me to design on top of. Or are we supposed to just design on a separated piece of paper? Thank you!

125. Marissa 02/13/2014 at 9:14 am #

Hi, just wondering if we get to choose the color of the dress as well, or if it has to stay white?
    Thanks! :)

126. Rhonda 02/13/2014 at 11:12 am #

too late for me

127. Janelle A. 02/13/2014 at 12:29 pm #

Can the consent letter be Typed or does it really HAVE TO be hand written and scanned? My mom already did one typed and I’ve already submitted the entry.

128. Rachel Wingard 02/13/2014 at 12:48 pm #

I was wondering, I am submitting the same design in two different color ways. Do i treat it as its own entry or just include it all in one entry?

129. Angela M. 02/13/2014 at 3:20 pm #

I’m a U.S. citizen but I currently don’t live there, can I enter or do I have to be a resident also?

130. Charday 02/13/2014 at 7:00 pm #

Hi, I just submitted my designs. However I was reading through these comments and it says that the dress should have the pattern cover the whole dress. Unfortunately, I did not see this until now. I was unaware of this because it wasn’t in the guidelines for design. Will my designs still be accepted into the running or do I have to fix all of my designs?

131. Louisa 02/13/2014 at 10:13 pm #

What does the letter of consent for those under 18 need to say? Is there an attachment for one or do the parent’s just have to write it themselves?

132. Adrienne Simpson 02/13/2014 at 11:04 pm #

Will the winner be notified via email or through the blog? If through the blog, what is the web address?

133. Kelsey 02/13/2014 at 11:08 pm #

Just wondering what is a “swatch form”?

134. Laurie L Thomas 02/14/2014 at 1:27 am #

Just submitted!

135. Sami 02/14/2014 at 6:00 am #

What do I put in the Cover Letter part of the submission process?

136. Andrea 02/14/2014 at 7:42 am #

Where do we send our entries to? Also when is the deadline?

137. Elizabeth 02/14/2014 at 11:11 am #

I didn’t get an email about this until 2/6/14, which didn’t give me enough time to finish. I hope Modcloth will have this same contest again so I’ll at least have a head start. The contest should have been announced at least a month in advance. Or maybe it was and I just didn’t see it. I kept hoping I’d get an email announcing that the deadline had been extended. Boo hoo.

138. Angeline 02/14/2014 at 11:32 am #

I stayed up until 6AM yesterday just finishing my designs and had to get up at 8:30 for class. But I really hope it was worth it! Slowly, I’m starting to feel like my designs weren’t good enough because I was so delirious while working on them. :S

139. erica campanella 02/14/2014 at 11:45 am #

Oh no! I thought the cut off time was 9 PM not 9 AM!!!! Any chance of an extension? I love mine!

• Elizabeth 02/14/2014 at 5:20 pm #

Me, too. I thought I might actually be able to finish mine by that time, but I really needed a couple more days to fine tune things. I worked so hard on my design and hoped to submit a couple of others. Ha.

• Nichole 02/14/2014 at 5:31 pm #

same here:(

• Jocelyne Muy-Trejo 02/15/2014 at 4:15 am #

Same here, I was so confused. I really hope they’re not disqualified…

140. Jenna 02/15/2014 at 12:37 pm #

I seem to have forgotten to add my inspiration so is there a way I could send it to you?

141. Kaylee 02/18/2014 at 4:57 pm #

Hi there! I am really excited to participate in this contest – it’d be my first entry ever. I’m just not sure I understand how to use Submittable. When I click on it the only thing I can submit files to has something to do with writing about fashion? Help me? How/where do I submit everything?

142. Kaylee 02/18/2014 at 5:00 pm #

Nevermind! Totally didn’t realize I missed the deadline. Derp. I’ll participate next time :)

143. Steph 02/18/2014 at 8:24 pm #

I am quite upset… I have just read that it is only for american citizens. I have been purchasing and referring people to this website. I had made a design and everything. It was all ready for submission when I read that note on the bottom. So Upset. Please dont reply with ‘But you can vote’. Got that.

• Audra 02/25/2014 at 2:50 am #

Maybe you should read all of the rules next time?

144. Emily 02/19/2014 at 1:31 pm #

How exciting! I can’t wait to see the entries. :)

145. Teagan 02/24/2014 at 6:28 pm #

Will you get a email if you are in the top 10?