Creative community members, gather ‘round! This edition of our Make the Cut Contest has a twist that’s not to be missed — instead of giving you a fabric swatch to base a garment on, we’re asking you to design a print that we’ll use for a new run of a 100% cotton ModCloth frock! So, check out the silhouette you’ll be designing for, and then start sketching a new print for this dress.
We’ll accept your submissions until 9:01 a.m. PT on 2/14, then our Creative Team will choose their top 20 picks. Now, here’s where the contest gets interesting: Amanda Needham, the Costume Designer of Portlandia, will be our guest judge! She’ll narrow our final picks down to 10 fabric designs — the ones you’ll get to vote for and comment on from 12 p.m. PT, 3/3 to 12 p.m. PT, 3/10 via Be the Buyer, our host for this edition of Make the Cut. We’ll officially declare our winner with a blog announcement on 3/12.
What’s in store for the wonderful winner? First, the winning fabric will be produced exclusively in our darling dress silhouette — with the fabric designer’s name on the tag — and sold on ModCloth.com. Plus, we’ll we’ll send the designer this frock and $500. Sounds neat, right?
But before you start, please read the deets below to ensure that your fabric designs are eligible…
Guidelines for the contest:
- Fabric prints should be designed in our Air of Adorable Dress template here.
- Each in-template design should include an additional close-up image of the fabric design.
- All Image submissions should be no larger than 5MB, and image resolution should be 300 DPI.
- Acceptable file formats are PDF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, or GIF.
- Please submit scanned sketches, or high-quality, well-lit photos of your sketch on a white/light grey background (low-quality images may be declined).
- Print designs must be both unlicensed and undistributed at the time of submission.
- If submissions include other items, please specify which part of the sketch is being entered in the contest.
- Entries should be designed to work for the provided dress template.
- Keep in mind that you’re designing for the ModCloth customer, and we’re unlikely to produce couture details or luxury materials.
- Our Creative Team will choose 20 sketches based on judging criteria.
- From the top 20 sketches, guest judge Amanda Needham, the Costume Designer of Portlandia, will select 10 fabric designs. Then, we’ll post them on Be the Buyer for community voting from 12 p.m. PT, 3/3 to 12 p.m. PT, 3/10.
- Before announcing the winner, we’ll double-check that the Be the Buyer votes are legitimate.
- If you don’t get a confirmation email after submitting, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sketches do not need to be in color, but it is encouraged to best convey your vision. Please note that designs should be limited to 5 – 7 color hues or variations. For example, 3 variations of green would count as 3 of your 7 colors.
- The winning fabric design will be produced as a recurring pattern on 100% cotton material.
And now, the rules:
- All entries must be submitted via Submittable.
- No email submissions will be accepted.
- You may enter via Submittable only once, but you may include sketches for up to 5 textile designs. For each design, please remember to include both in-template sketches and close-up images of the fabric.
- Entries should include the following additional files: 1) A description or visual representation of your inspiration for each textile design, and 2) Completion of this document, which includes a Copyright Assignment Agreement for you to sign, along with a Statement of Publishing for you to record the dates when your designs were created and first shared (whether in person, online, or in print). These forms will be handy if your design wins!
- Sketches and accompanying files may be submitted up until 9:01 a.m. PT on 2/14.
- Fabric designs will be judged on marketability, produce-ability, print creativity, and how well they fit with the ModCloth aesthetic.
- With your submission(s), please include your first and last name as you’d like to see it appear for voting and on a clothing label. Feel free to tell us anything else about your sketches, including how you’d style the Air of Adorable Dress if produced with your fabric design.
- The winner will be announced on 3/12 via the blog.
- One winning sketch will be chosen, and $500 will be awarded for it.
- Additional winners may be chosen at the discretion of ModCloth.
- The winning design will be produced and sold on ModCloth.com, and feature the fabric designer’s name on the tag.
- Contestants under 18 must have a parent or guardian write a letter of consent, and upload it as an attachment with your entry in Submittable (Example: If you upload 5 separate sketches, a description of your inspiration, a Statement of Publishing, and your signed copyright assignment agreement, you would then upload your scanned consent as file #9).
- Currently, this contest is only open to U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents.
Now, with the guidelines and rules under your belt, it’s time to start designing! Will your inspired and innovative print be sewn into our next Air of Adorable Dress with a personalized tag? Could our $500 prize reward your ambitious sketching? Only one way to know — enter!
UPDATE! —- Our 10 finalists are up and voting is now live! Visit Be the Buyer to “pick” your favorite!