Fashion in Film: William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet

Title

What do you get when you mix henchmen dressed in drag, ubiquitous Aloha shirts, tons of religious iconography, frantic camera shots, and 90s Leonardo DiCaprio? This could only be the work of one director. With guns for swords, neon painted drop tops, and full-color costumes, Baz Luhrmann’s updated and dazzling portrayal of the Shakespearean tragedy Romeo and Juliet celebrates the romance of language, drama, and fashion in his signature, visionary style.

R+J4

R+J5

R+J8

rj1

RJ9

RJ11

RJ10

RJ

rj2

RJ16

RJ18

RJ19

RJ20

About Amy K.

Born in the basement of the Alamo, Amy is a native Texan who enjoys a good book, a loud song, and the presence of fuzzy creatures. When she's not writing, you can find her sifting through stacks of vinyl, or combing racks of vintage wares.

, ,

8 Responses to Fashion in Film: William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet

1. Bike Pretty (@BikePretty) 02/13/2014 at 2:14 pm #

Leo + Claire forever!!!

Love the fashion in this movie. Juliet’s white angel dress is stunning, but my favorite is her little schoolgirl outfit with the beret and gloves. Plus Claire just acts the crap out of that scene.

2. Rheumatic Princess 02/13/2014 at 3:56 pm #

Everyone hates on that movie but I actually liked it! It came out when I was in high school and studying Shakespeare. It was SO much less painful to watch than the 70s version. And the soundtrack was amazing!

• Alexandra 03/04/2014 at 10:20 am #

I COMPLETELY AGREE. the 70s version was painful…i watched both versions my freshman year of high school..Leo’s version wins..hands down!

3. Becky 02/13/2014 at 8:09 pm #

Man…16-year-old me was obsessed with this movie! Though honestly more that I was on a Shakespeare kick than for Leo. I actually made that angel dress for a friend’s costume party (complete with hand-cut craft feathers that I painstakingly glued onto some cheap fairy wings), and I still have a simple cross necklace similar to the one that Claire wore.

4. Lisa 02/13/2014 at 8:55 pm #

I was 16 when this movie came out, and was it was pure teenage obsession for me…even had a Geocities fan page about it, lol. I also spent forevvverr trying to find a ring similar to the one Leo gave Claire, but never found one.

5. angela (@theawkwardblog) 02/14/2014 at 2:49 am #

Awww, love this film! Strangely, I had a huge crush on Benvolio and not lovely Leo….

6. Cindy (ModCloth) 02/14/2014 at 11:00 am #

I was obsessed with Leo’s sacred heart Hawaiian shirt. I even tried recreating it in art class by painting it onto a blue t-shirt, but alas.

7. nicmiele 02/18/2014 at 9:58 am #

Love this, Amy, and love that movie!! It has a wonderful aesthetic.