Monthly Muse: Young at Heart with Doris Day

PinterestTwitterEmailFacebooktumblr

Annex - Day, Doris (By the Light of the Silvery Moon)_01
All images via Doris Day

I first fell in love with Doris Day while watching her with Frank Sinatra in Young at Heart.  She was optimistic and sincere and followed her heart — and she could sing.  I begged my parents to rent more of her movies, and we spent Saturday afternoons with Calamity Jane, Pillow Talk, and The Glass Bottom Boat. She earned her place in my heart with her short blond hair, girl-next-door charm, snappy wit, and infectious grin. She was everything I wanted to be when I grew up.

Annex - Day, Doris (It's a Great Feeling)_01

Annex - Day, Doris (Lullaby of Broadway)_01

All in all, she starred in thirty-nine movies. I knew how much I loved her, but I never knew — until recently, at least — how much acclaim she received throughout her career. Day received an Oscar nomination for her performance in Pillow Talk and her song, “Secret Love,” from Calamity Jane won an Academy Award.

She also won three Henrietta Awards, received the Los Angeles Film Critics Association’s Career Achievement Award and the Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement in motion pictures.

In addition to her movie work, she produced thirty-one albums. She’s earned a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and a Legend Award from the Society of Singers.  She also starred her own sitcom, The Doris Day Show, for five years.

On top of all of that, she also made time to follow her passion as an animal rights activist.  She founded the Doris Day Animal League in 1978 and contributed to the Doris Day Horse Rescue and Adoption Center in 2011. While she has since retired from acting and performing, she’s still actively working to help animals and the people who love them. And her passionate devotion still inspires me.

Are you a Day devotee? Scroll down to check out a few of my favorite Doris Day songs, and be sure to share your muse in the comments!— By Jamie, Customer Care Advocate

Annex - Day, Doris_14

Annex - Day, Doris (Romance on the High Seas)_03

Annex - Day, Doris (Romance on the High Seas)_02

Annex - Day, Doris (Lucky Me)_01

Annex - Day, Doris (It's a Great Feeling)_06

About ModCloth

8 Responses to Monthly Muse: Young at Heart with Doris Day

1. kristin kellner 02/18/2014 at 12:05 pm #

When I was a little girl I had a record player but not much or a record collection. I found Doris Day’s Greatest Hits in my parents’ record collection. I listened to it over and over and sang along to every song. Although I never followed her movie career Doris Day holds a special place in my heart. I still know every song on that album by heart and was just singing “Everybody Loves a Lover” over the weekend.

2. Cyra 02/18/2014 at 3:12 pm #

My favorite is “Secret Love” from my favorite movie of her’s “Calamity Jane”. So fun! Thank you!!!

3. marybeth 02/18/2014 at 7:54 pm #

I have “que sera sera” tattooed on my chest! Doris Day and Rock Hudson were movie magic.

4. Vicky 02/20/2014 at 6:51 am #

Loved all the movies when I was growing up and I still enjoy catching one every now and then on a rainy afternoon. I love some of the outfits in the photos.

5. Beth 02/20/2014 at 8:59 pm #

My favorite movie of hers is The Thrill Of It All where she does the Happy Soap commercials! And the little girl in it also plays Gretel in the Sound of Music (the littlest one). SO CUTE.

6. Victoria / Justice Pirate 02/21/2014 at 2:17 pm #

My favorite voice since I was a child and my favorite actress of all time!! I love her. There was a great magazine that came out a few months back, maybe in the summer filled with unreleased photos of her from the past to present and articles and I have it (first magazine I’ve bought since 1998). She had the best smile and greatest outfits!! Also she always kept her figure through lots of exercises every morning. Love her although it is sad that so many people have let her down that she only seems to trust her dogs (though I love her activism).

• jennifer 02/26/2014 at 9:58 pm #

Animals aren’t fake and love unconditionally. One lady I know had her cat before she was married, and twenty years later upon divorce, who was there for there for her . . . her loving, comforting cat. People generally love conditionally, animals don’t. Doris Day has a heart of gold.

7. jennifer 02/26/2014 at 9:49 pm #

Doris Day is lovely. I admire her even though I am many generations younger than her. We need classy stars like her now who represent the goodness of women. The best thing is she is truly legitimate and a worthy example. Her charity toward homeless animals and rescues is very noble and sincere. She is my role model :). We love you Doris! We all want to be feminine bombshells with loving hearts just like Doris Day.