It’s no secret that the Story By ModCloth team is just a little bit obsessed with all things Mara Hoffman. Can you blame us? The boho-chic designer always inspires with her bold patterns, ethereal designs, and gorgeous runway shows. With Coachella right around the corner and festival fashion (and beauty) on everyone’s mind, I was inspired to create two variations of the gold-dipped braid Nick Irwin, Global Creative Director for TIGI, whipped up for Hoffman’s FW ’14 presentation.
Easy to achieve and a unique look for a music-filled day, these braids can be customized to suit your style, whether you prefer one braid or two, french braids or a braided crown. Check ’em out below, and be sure to let us know in the comments which style you’d like us to tackle next!
Gold-Dipped Festival Braids
1. Start with slightly messy hair, unwashed will hold the best. Work a generous amount of the True Wax through your ends.
2. Using the tail-end of your teasing comb, separate your hair into two sections.
3. Working one side at a time, spray your hair generously with the Workable Hairspray.
4. Add body by teasing from the crown of your head down.
5. Once each side is sprayed and teased, create a low, tight braid on either side of your head, securing each one with an elastic.
6. The True Wax will help to hold your smaller braids in place, you so can mess up the top as much or as little as you’d like!
7. Shake the can of gold hairspray well, and, holding the paper to protect your clothes, coat your hair. This is best done in a well-ventilated area.
8. Repeat on each side until you’ve achieved maximum shine.
Gold-Leaf Festival Braids
For a high-shine version of the style above, repeat steps 1 through 6. Once you’ve created your braids, take one sheet of the gold leafing and lightly spray the back with hairspray. Gently press the gold-leaf over your braid, holding for several seconds. When you remove your hand, the leafing should stick to some areas of your braid. Repeat until you’ve achieved your desired effect. You can also comb the gold leaf through your hair for a more subtle shine.