Our Plus Anniversary: So How Do We Feel About the Market? [Infographic]

To celebrate ModCloth’s s 1-year anniversary in the plus category, we conducted a study to find out how people felt about the current state of the market. Sure, we wanted to do something fun to highlight our milestone, but we also wanted to capture this moment in the retail space, and the people — and consumers — that are part of it. Here’s what we found — in picture form!

061614-plus-infographic-final

About Rebecca B

Rebecca is an L.A.-born (and raised!) New Yorker that now calls the Bay Area home. She lives on the Internet, still hearts ‘90s gangster rap, and does some of her best vintage shopping in her mom’s closet. Also: These are not her glasses.

About ModCloth

11 Responses to Our Plus Anniversary: So How Do We Feel About the Market? [Infographic]

1. Michelle 06/23/2014 at 7:27 pm #

I really enjoyed this article. It was very interesting. I’m glad that modcloth provides to plus size women with trendy cute clothes. I’m plus size and it super hard to go to the mall with friends who are regular sizes. Or if. Just go out by myself to a store. It’s hard to find cute clothes that fit I feel left out. I wish more store carried more cute plus size clothing like u guys. But that is why I only shop online, mostly modcloth lol. I get so many compliments from people about my clothes that I get from modcloth. You guys set a good example for the rest of the industry that plus size women are fashionable and also care about clothes. Thank u and happy 1 year plus anniversary modcloth!

2. meghan 06/24/2014 at 12:15 pm #

You have made shopping fun and exciting for me. I used to dread going to the mall… Lane Bryant was not where a girl WANTS to shop. Fun styles! Fun colors! Fun silhouettes! Modcloth is my plus size shopping home.

3. elizabeth 06/25/2014 at 12:46 pm #

thanks for this post. i appreciate all the choices modcloth offers in its plus section, and i look forward to the time when i am able to spend money on nice clothes again. just a thought: i wonder if it would be possible to sort clothing by body shape, or list more measurements? i have a very short torso, and i’d rather not order a cute dress only to have to return it because it’s made for a long torso. this is something that eshakti does well.

• Mod_Jade 06/25/2014 at 6:08 pm #

Hi Elizabeth! I have a short torso as well and have had the same issue before. I now often focus on the side view (or 3/4s view) of a dress on the mannequin and see where the waistline sits in relation to the arm hole. This little trick has greatly helped me, and I can spot right away when dresses have a longer (or just standard-length) torso! :D

4. Kate 06/25/2014 at 1:08 pm #

Finding out the ModCloth had added a plus size division was one of the most elated shopping days ever. I’d loved their styles for a long time but couldn’t wear any-I wish there were more places like this, that believed that not all plus size fashion has to be boring and frumpy.

5. Brosephina 06/25/2014 at 6:10 pm #

Love this post! Plus size shopping can be really frustrating and this article really captures that. I used to come to ModCloth all the time and my experience was “I wonder if they have anything in my size…. No. Ok, I’ll check again in a year”. I’m super happy to see such CUTE plus size clothes and in such a wide array, presented just as nicely as the straight sizes. I love ModCloth and I tell everyone I know about their wide range of sizes and super cute clothes!

6. Elizabeth 06/25/2014 at 6:26 pm #

I LOVE MODCLOTH! My closet is actually full of gorgeous garments that I love and can wear now because of Modcloth. I demand better quality items and more options and this is also completely because of ModCloth. Having options at a wonderful retailer like modcloth made me realize I deserve to have options at other stores too. I used to feel terribly about myself and take it personally, now I’m like “that store sucks, they don’t have their stuff together like Modcloth does”. If a store acts like catering to my size and actually providing me with cute clothes is a burden, I don’t need to waste my time by shopping there. I no longer have pieces that I thought would fit, but didn’t, so I settled on them, and then end up saving them for a “magical” time when they might fit. It was incredibly sad to open your closet and to not be able to wear the nicest things in it. Thank you modcloth, you not only changed my relationship with clothing but seeing that a company actually cares about plus sized women gave me the confidence to demand the same from other stores. I <3 Modcloth!!!

7. Katherine H. 07/09/2014 at 2:39 pm #

I applaud ModCloth for working to include more plus sizes in their clothing. As a plus sized woman myself, I agree with many of the statistics above: especially that plus size women are not accurately represented in the fashion industry and that the clothes that cater to larger sizes are boring and frumpy. I want to be able to open my closet and find cute, flattering, cost efficient clothes that make me feel good when I put them on. The fashion industry still has a long way to go, but at least things are changing. As a textile designer, I would love to be able to design clothes for women my size and be able to show the industry that larger does not mean frumpy, boring, or unattractive. I have started doing a lot of my shopping at ModCloth because I appreciate the wide range of sizes and the way that they are presented.

8. Transpogue 07/10/2014 at 9:48 am #

Smart, smart business decisions here, ModCloth. Your last bullet was the most impactful– Plus size customers place 20% MORE orders than straight size customers. Business Ethics of Inclusion. When all are served, all are happy. And an extra kudos to you for not charging more for a plus garment than a straight size one. Keep providing stylish, fashionable, and affordable plus clothing with great customer service, and we will keep giving you our plus size money. :)

9. Cat 07/26/2014 at 3:54 pm #

I agree with everything in the article, thank you for producing that. What ModCloth has gotten particularly right is the style of plus size clothing. It is not enough to make larger versions of clothes all the time as many styles do not suit a plus sized woman. I do all my shopping solely at ModCloth now. I check the site almost every day, continually adding things to my wishlist and doing bulk purchases every season (I am in Australia). I love the selection (though I do often see items in straight sizes I would love in plus), the sizing (never had an item not fit, and I just guess sizes), and the international shipping is at exactly the right pricing and time point. The only thing I would like to see more of is long hem lengths. I love so many of the dresses, but as a big girl, I do not wear anything above the knee no matter what it is!! Not only is it unflattering, but it’s not comfortable when you sit down either.

10. Stephanie 08/12/2014 at 7:01 pm #

After gaining so much weight, I stopped going out with friends, became closed off and depressed-while I am learning to accept my new body, modcloth brought me back to life. Finally plus sized clothes that are on trend and beautifully made-not cheap plastic smelling trash (DEB). I now go out with my fiancé, friends and family and don’t feel like “the fat friend” I just feel like me. Please keep carrying plus size and giving us options. So much gratitude.