Our Plus Anniversary: So How Do We Feel About the Market? [Infographic]

To celebrate ModCloth’s s 1-year anniversary in the plus category, we conducted a study to find out how people felt about the current state of the market. Sure, we wanted to do something fun to highlight our milestone, but we also wanted to capture this moment in the retail space, and the people — and consumers — that are part of it. Here’s what we found — in picture form!

061614-plus-infographic-final

Share:FacebookPinterestTwitterGoogle+tumblr

About Rebecca B

Rebecca is an L.A.-born (and raised!) New Yorker that now calls the Bay Area home. She lives on the Internet, still hearts ‘90s gangster rap, and does some of her best vintage shopping in her mom’s closet. Also: These are not her glasses.

About ModCloth

7 Responses to Our Plus Anniversary: So How Do We Feel About the Market? [Infographic]

1. Michelle 06/23/2014 at 7:27 pm #

I really enjoyed this article. It was very interesting. I’m glad that modcloth provides to plus size women with trendy cute clothes. I’m plus size and it super hard to go to the mall with friends who are regular sizes. Or if. Just go out by myself to a store. It’s hard to find cute clothes that fit I feel left out. I wish more store carried more cute plus size clothing like u guys. But that is why I only shop online, mostly modcloth lol. I get so many compliments from people about my clothes that I get from modcloth. You guys set a good example for the rest of the industry that plus size women are fashionable and also care about clothes. Thank u and happy 1 year plus anniversary modcloth!

2. meghan 06/24/2014 at 12:15 pm #

You have made shopping fun and exciting for me. I used to dread going to the mall… Lane Bryant was not where a girl WANTS to shop. Fun styles! Fun colors! Fun silhouettes! Modcloth is my plus size shopping home.

3. elizabeth 06/25/2014 at 12:46 pm #

thanks for this post. i appreciate all the choices modcloth offers in its plus section, and i look forward to the time when i am able to spend money on nice clothes again. just a thought: i wonder if it would be possible to sort clothing by body shape, or list more measurements? i have a very short torso, and i’d rather not order a cute dress only to have to return it because it’s made for a long torso. this is something that eshakti does well.

• Mod_Jade 06/25/2014 at 6:08 pm #

Hi Elizabeth! I have a short torso as well and have had the same issue before. I now often focus on the side view (or 3/4s view) of a dress on the mannequin and see where the waistline sits in relation to the arm hole. This little trick has greatly helped me, and I can spot right away when dresses have a longer (or just standard-length) torso! :D

4. Kate 06/25/2014 at 1:08 pm #

Finding out the ModCloth had added a plus size division was one of the most elated shopping days ever. I’d loved their styles for a long time but couldn’t wear any-I wish there were more places like this, that believed that not all plus size fashion has to be boring and frumpy.

5. Brosephina 06/25/2014 at 6:10 pm #

Love this post! Plus size shopping can be really frustrating and this article really captures that. I used to come to ModCloth all the time and my experience was “I wonder if they have anything in my size…. No. Ok, I’ll check again in a year”. I’m super happy to see such CUTE plus size clothes and in such a wide array, presented just as nicely as the straight sizes. I love ModCloth and I tell everyone I know about their wide range of sizes and super cute clothes!

6. Elizabeth 06/25/2014 at 6:26 pm #

I LOVE MODCLOTH! My closet is actually full of gorgeous garments that I love and can wear now because of Modcloth. I demand better quality items and more options and this is also completely because of ModCloth. Having options at a wonderful retailer like modcloth made me realize I deserve to have options at other stores too. I used to feel terribly about myself and take it personally, now I’m like “that store sucks, they don’t have their stuff together like Modcloth does”. If a store acts like catering to my size and actually providing me with cute clothes is a burden, I don’t need to waste my time by shopping there. I no longer have pieces that I thought would fit, but didn’t, so I settled on them, and then end up saving them for a “magical” time when they might fit. It was incredibly sad to open your closet and to not be able to wear the nicest things in it. Thank you modcloth, you not only changed my relationship with clothing but seeing that a company actually cares about plus sized women gave me the confidence to demand the same from other stores. I <3 Modcloth!!!