Why ModEmployee Bree Decided to Just Do It and Shave Her Head

Fess up, how many times have you lamented — in the throes of summer heat and humidity –that you want to shave your head? Declared loudly your desire to just not have hair anymore? While most of us are content to just whine a little and finally tie it all up in a ponytail, our graphic designer Bree is a woman of action. Yes, she really did it: Bree shaved her head. And it looks amazing.

Today, Bree is answering all of our head-shaving questions and offering her tips for styling little-to-no hair. While intricate braids and buns are out of the question, that doesn’t mean you can’t switch things up with super-short strands. Check out what she has to say below:

_W5A0262
Bree’s bleach-blond short hair is the perfect canvas to show off a pair of eye-catching gold earrings. Here she’s wearing the Parabolic Perfection Earrings paired with the Viewfinder From the Top.

What was the motivation to shave your head? Something you’ve wanted to do for a long time or was it spur of the moment?
Like a lot girls I’ve had many “I’m just going to shave my head” moments in my life. Growing up, my dad always shaved his head and every time I complained about my hair he would make the ultimate dad joke that he could give me a hair cut “just like his.” Of course being a stubborn teenager I always yelled at him and told him to leave me alone. After all those years of him joking about it, I decided why not, it’s only hair and it will grow back. I hadn’t seen my natural hair color in almost ten years! My hair was pretty damaged from years of going from platinum blonde to black to back to platinum hair again. I decided when I turned 24 I was going to shave it and start fresh.

Did you do it yourself or go to a salon?
I took the first pass straight down the middle of my head and gave myself a pretty rad reverse mohawk. I knew if I started there, there would be no turning back. I let my boyfriend and my best friend do the rest. When it was over I didn’t feel very good about it, it was longer in some places and pretty much just looked like two people decided to shave their friend’s head. The next day my wonderful friend Ali who works in a barber shop fixed me up, so I had an actual hair cut.

_W5A0190
A shaved head offers the perfect excuse to play with unique makeup looks, from dramatic cat-eye liner to a bold lip. Deep red lipstick — we used Lime Crime’s lip stain in “Wicked” here — looks stunning paired with a crisp white top, like the Eyelets Get Going Top.

What’s the biggest advantage of having a shaved head now? Cool breezes? A drastic decrease in your shampoo bill?
I think the biggest advantage of having a shaved head is all the extra time I have when I’m getting ready. I can wake up and be ready to go in, like, 20 minutes! It’s the perfect summer ‘do. I can sweat, get rained on, ride roller coasters, stick my head out of a moving car window and never have a hair out of place!

What kind of feedback have you received from friends and coworkers?
I’ve gotten a ton of compliments! So many people have told me that they wish they could do it. I always tell them to just go for it.

_W5A0138-2A patterned scarf is the perfect way to add interest to a basic white tee, paired with classic cut-offs it makes for a unique, but still breezy summer outfit. Here, Bree is wearing the Here and Fair Scarf with the Float and Flutter Top and This Way to Style Earrings.

Are you experimenting more with accessories now?
Just like in the images above, I’ve been wearing a lot of big earrings and experimenting with bolder makeup. I think when the weather cools down I’ll start playing around with more scarves and hats.

+ So what do you think? Are you inspired to take the plunge and shave your head like Bree? Sound off in the comments.

About Julie O.

A lover of all things vintage and vintage-inspired, Julie bought her first 1950s frock in the fifth grade. Since then, Julie has become a self-described connoisseur of vintage and thrift shopping, which she shares on her blog, Orchid Grey. When she’s not scouring the racks for the perfect vintage skirt, this native New Englander can be found deftly navigating the slopes of a ski mountain, taking road-trips to the beach, and exploring new places with a vintage camera in her hand.

25 Responses to Why ModEmployee Bree Decided to Just Do It and Shave Her Head

1. Katherine 07/15/2014 at 8:23 am #

I shaved my head about a month ago. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do, and I’ve been more active lately, so I was looking for a way to cut down on messy hair while I was working out and save time showering and getting ready afterward. A lot of people have come up to me and told me I was “brave,” but I don’t feel brave … just practical! Also, it grows FAST. I’m currently in a bit of a poofball stage and wondering if I should keep growing or go back to the barbershop!

2. Mary 07/15/2014 at 11:14 am #

I shaved my head at age 17, and switched back and forth between buzz cut and pixie cut for the next couple years. It’s fun to stand out in a crowd! The assumptions about my health and sexual preference and were interesting and at times annoying, but I just tried to dress as girly as possible and be polite when I received ladies’ phone numbers. ;) At that time, I got the weird looks and compliments from strangers. Now it’s my husband with his crazy long red beard.

3. Mindi 07/15/2014 at 2:15 pm #

I shaved mine a few years back and I absolutely loved it. I’ve been itching to do it again, but am afraid it wouldn’t be welcomed in my current workplace.
    P.S. Bree, you look AMAZING!

4. Amber 07/15/2014 at 6:02 pm #

Gorgeous! I shaved my head once (I’ve gone through many hairstyles…afro, locs, afro, shaved head) and it’s the only time in my life where I felt absolutely beautiful. I’ve never felt that way with any other hairstyle, but I do like to experiment. I’m growing my hair out because I want to do the locs thing again.

5. MonicaP 07/16/2014 at 10:38 am #

She looks Gorgeous! I love the short cut. Very pretty and feminine. I’ve been toying with the Kaley Cuoco short cut .. soon, I think soon ;-)

• Ashley 08/20/2014 at 2:01 pm #

I got the Kaley Cuoco cut yesterday! My hair was halfway down my back! I am loving it and I have gotten tons of compliments!!!!

6. Amber von Nagel 07/16/2014 at 10:47 am #

I think it looks great! Really daring and cool. Love it!

7. Staci Stubbs 07/16/2014 at 2:53 pm #

This is so awesome to me! I literally (I really do mean literally) just posted on FB about how I was needing some love from my short-haired friends about cutting my very long hair off once again. I’ve had it very very short before, but this time I am a little anxious about it. I’m getting a mohawk style tomorrow. I made the appointment for the hair a week ago. Now I guess I just need to pick out color. I really do thank you for the tips on keeping it “feminine” and fashionable looking with amazing earrings and fun makeup. These two things I love doing anyway!

8. Sarah 07/16/2014 at 3:11 pm #

In September 2012 I cut all my hair off. (All 22 inches!) I never loved a haircut more in my life! Getting ready was a breeze, I never had that gross feeling of hair and sweat on my neck, and it didn’t get all tangled on my face when I slept. Since then I’ve grown it back down to my shoulders and I plan to grow it a little more before cutting it all off again. Reading this has made it that much harder to be patient! Having short hair is definitely the best hair choice I’ve ever made. :)

9. Clarissa 07/16/2014 at 4:00 pm #

How awesome! And she looks beautiful!

10. Ana 07/16/2014 at 7:25 pm #

She looks gorgeous. I’ve always had long hair and this is seriously one thing I want to do in the future. This is inspirational, thanks.

11. ValerieJean 07/17/2014 at 7:15 am #

I shaved my head while my Mom was going thru chemo. It was addictive! I kept in that way for 2 years. I buzz it off whenever I feel like it now.
    HOW DID SHE TIE THAT SCARF? ????? ?

12. Leah 07/17/2014 at 1:49 pm #

At UVa, students take part in a charity event called St. Baldrick’s every year, which results in tons of young women with shaved heads walking around town. I’m glad to see women taking these sorts of risks, especially in a fairly conservative university town. I’m not interested in going quite that short myself, but I think my pixie cut is here to stay.

13. Amy T 07/17/2014 at 2:42 pm #

Beautiful!

14. ValerieJean 07/19/2014 at 11:08 am #

HOW DO YOU TIE THAT SCARF??

15. Heather Gwinn 08/03/2014 at 8:22 pm #

I imagine there is something very freeing about shaving ones head. It’s exhausting at times spending hours styling my hair. I too haven’t seen my true hair color for more than 10 years. Dying and flat ironing, products and wear have taken a toll on my hair. In a perfect world I wish I could brave the sheers and buzz my hair off too, if even just to grow it back healthier. Perhaps one day I’ll muster up the courage. Thanks for sharing it was a good story.

16. Joy 08/20/2014 at 1:42 pm #

I think she looks amazing! I want to shave my head too and dye it platinum blonde. I like to change my hairstyle a lot so not sure how I would feel after a few days as I wouldn’t be able to change it. So love the look though.

17. sarahmeganc 08/20/2014 at 2:54 pm #

I have a hair loss condition, and I lost all my hair for the first time when I was seventeen. I ended up shaving it bald, as it was mostly one big bald spot. I was so much more confident after shaving it. It was all one length and it all started to grow back at the same time, and I loved it. I absolutely hated the lengths that followed, though. It took everything I had to let it grow through the awkward and ugly stages. Now I’m loosing it again and hoping it doesn’t get to the point of needing a shave. It’s great for about two months, but then it all went wrong. But maybe it’s just because my hair always sticks up straight no matter what I do.

18. Laura Davis 08/20/2014 at 2:58 pm #

she looks beautiful..

19. Diane 08/20/2014 at 3:21 pm #

good for you and wow! i love it. i keep saying one day i will do exactly what you did. last christmas i did cut it very short and it took awhile but i did get use to it and now i love it….still waiting for the nerve to go all the way, or at least close to it

20. Lexie 08/20/2014 at 3:28 pm #

Ahh, I’ve been wanting to shave my head for a long time now. I’ve had pixies and I keep my hair short in general, but I just want to experience a shaved head at least once in my life. This looks great! Maybe I’ll do it soon.

21. Brittany 08/20/2014 at 3:40 pm #

I was diagnosed with cancer and “involuntarily” shaved my head when my hair started falling out. Now that I’m cancer free and done with treatment, my hair is growing back quite nicely. I’ve been going back and forth with myself about whether or not I want to continue to grow it out, or just rock the short cut. It’s so nice not having to fuss with it in the morning, and it’s been wonderful with the hot weather!

22. Isabel* 08/20/2014 at 4:56 pm #

Well she is just so gorgeous :)

23. Stefanie 08/21/2014 at 4:09 am #

I shaved my hair a few years ago and it’s so liberating! I had a few comments from people, one person I recall said it was too short to be feminine. Stuff you, my aim isn’t to be feminine. I do occasionally want to do it again but I’m actually growing my hair out right now. It’s currently at long bob length just above my shoulders. I’m doing it partly because I haven’t had long hair since school and sometimes I miss it, and partly because I want to put dreadlocks in my hair. That will probably wait a while though since I’m currently unemployed and I don’t want to jeopardize my job prospects and I want to have been in a job long enough that they know I’m a good employee regardless of my hair style.

24. Lisa Miller 08/21/2014 at 9:14 am #

I did this several years ago. Now I can’t stand it longer than 1/4 inch, so I buzz and bleach every 3 weeks. Never have a bad hair day, it’s amazing!