Admit It: You Wore These Hair Embellishments Back in the Day

Butterfly clips, barrettes, scrunchies, fierce headbands: These were the essential accessories of our youth. Let’s take a walk down memory lane, shall we?

Butterfly Clips

While butterflies were the main trendsetters, many variations followed in their wake: Flowers, rhinestones, even squiggly shapes.

clips
Image via fan-sites, Image via Tumblr, Image via Pop Culture Ramble, Image via Huffington Post

Snap Clips

Snap clips made it easy to keep hair in place with flair. They came in a rainbow of colors, with embellishments, and hand painted to personalize your style.

hair2a
Image via StyleBlazer

Spiked Headbands

Some say you have to suffer for beauty, and spiked headbands made that abundantly clear. These pointy, pokey bands were tough to sport, and even harder to keep in place if worn with straight hair.

headband
Image via Manic Expression, Image via Drowning Equilibriums

Scrunchies

We were always so excited (so excited!) and not at all scared to wear scrunchies as often as possible in as many hues and patterns as we could find.

hair5a
Image via Saved by The Bell

Giant Hair Clips

Usually hidden under large swaths of hair, giant clips allowed for not-quite ponytails and also sorta messy buns. They were seen with delicate hair wisps (are those bangs or…?) framing the face.

Image via movpins

Which of these accessories were strewn about your room as a kid or teen?

rkalina

About Rachel K

Rachel is the creative director of The Wood and Watch jewelry and the editor-in-chief of ParentGuide magazine. She knows how to wield a flame to shape metal; loves to travel; and is passionate about art, antiques, DIY, and nature.

, , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Admit It: You Wore These Hair Embellishments Back in the Day

1. 'Becca'lise Deveaux 08/01/2014 at 8:28 am #

I was all about those accordion headbands. I had this big bushy perm too (think pre-makeover Mia Thermopolis) so it was just an all-around hot mess.

2. Lauren 08/01/2014 at 2:45 pm #

I thought I was the only one who had a problem with the spiked headbands sliding and not staying in place! Glad to know I wasn’t alone–as for the rest? Definitely had them all, especially the snap clips!

3. Veda 08/02/2014 at 8:31 am #

Scrunchies !!!! My mom made me tons of these (:

4. Pauli 08/02/2014 at 9:59 am #

Uh…wait a sec…I still wear some of these, with some modification. I use butterfly-style clips to casually hold my hair up, but if I ever use one actually shaped like a butterfly, just shoot me. The snap clips are an awesome tool for holding back stray hairs, but I tend to use colors that blend in. Scrunchies are great for ponytails that don’t pull or hurt, but only around the house, thank you. I do remember the spiked headbands and though they were never really painful for me, I’ve happily left them in the dustbin. Now about those perms…

5. Mindi 08/02/2014 at 4:17 pm #

Haha Butterfly Clips! I wore the crap out of those things in Jr High!!! :)

6. Hezzann 08/02/2014 at 7:41 pm #

I’m still all about giant hair clips, they don’t give me a headache or tear at my hair the way rubber bands do.

7. Charli 08/03/2014 at 11:33 am #

All of them! My favourites were some orange furry snap clips.

Scrunchies are making a comeback in the UK and its great, I love it as they’re perfect for not leaving that pony tail dent in your hair.

You also missed out those twist in hair jewels on the little spiral wire that we used to randomly place on our hair!

8. Nightshade 08/03/2014 at 12:36 pm #

OMG, I still have those butterfly and snag clips somewhere! I remember I loved to wear them, I had a whole box of clips. I also had some scrunchies.

9. bekswhoknits 08/03/2014 at 9:08 pm #

My high school eventually had to implement a policy to limit the amount of butterfly clips you could have in your hair. (private school – strict uniform)

I still have a topsy tail at home some where. And a crimping iron.
    They come in quite handy for costume parties and mad hair days.

10. Gaby 08/07/2014 at 1:58 pm #

I used to use those stretchy-comb headbands for sports after I got a bob… I think that was long after they were out of style for day-to-day wear, though. Definitely had tons of butterflies and snap clips as a little kid, and giant claw clips as a tween. I know I used to have some scrunchies too but I don’t remember actually wearing them much (I think they slipped out of my very straight, fine hair).
    Fun throwback!

11. Randi 08/08/2014 at 5:55 pm #

I LOVED butterfly clips! I’m wearing some in my freshman yearbook photo! Late ’90′s early ’00′s I still love you!