Silver Hair Trend: Would You Try This Look for Your Locks?

silver3
Image via Tumblr

Prematurely coloring one’s hair with a gray tint is nothing new. In fact, it’s a trend that started centuries ago.

Since ombré began to color our world in recent years, many women have once again intentionally gone gray. Silver strands are everywhere, and the trend is still going strong. Whether combined with soft pastel tones or standing alone, silver can make a striking statement.

To lighten one’s locks and prep for shiny gray, hair is first bleached, then given a toner. If you want to skip the salon, there are at-home coloring products available, as well as temporary silver/gray hair chalks to try on the look with little commitment.

grey-wigImage viaBoss Chicks

Long-Hairstyles-2014-5

Image via Get Away Grey

+ What do you think of the silver hair trend’s persistence? In or out?

rkalina

About Rachel K

Rachel is the creative director of The Wood and Watch jewelry and the editor-in-chief of ParentGuide magazine. She knows how to wield a flame to shape metal; loves to travel; and is passionate about art, antiques, DIY, and nature.

, , , ,

6 Responses to Silver Hair Trend: Would You Try This Look for Your Locks?

1. margotmeanie 08/27/2014 at 11:36 am #

I had a violet silver not long ago, which I adored, but I want steel grey at some point too!

margot

2. Michele Timms 08/27/2014 at 3:05 pm #

I hope it is ‘in’ because last year I developed a sensitivity to dye products which caused not only cankers which weeped but my face swelled… Thank god I could breath!! So I went au naturel and received many compliments on the new look but I also am experiencing discrimination on being ‘old’!!! I am only 50 and some people are treating me like I am 60!!! Oh well, it is what it is!!

3. Catherine 08/27/2014 at 4:53 pm #

i love having it, and every time I’m in the salon for my touch-up, my hairdresser points me out to new clients, like “is that what you want, cause we do that!” haha! there are some really good shampoos out there which help make it last longer – though they have a purple base so you only want to alternate the purple shampoo wash with a regular shampoo wash.

4. Brookelynn 08/27/2014 at 11:01 pm #

A lot of women in my family lose pigmentation in their hair very young, giving them the appearance of star light silver hair! It’s so gorgeous! But sadly I was not blessed with this mutation (°~°) though I always, for as long ad I can remember, hoped that I would be kissed by star light.

5. Aimee 08/28/2014 at 12:38 pm #

Happy to see it, as a good deal of my hair is going that way all by itself. :)

6. Jené 08/28/2014 at 4:00 pm #

I’ve wanted silver hair for years! I’m just too chicken!