Style Glossary: Bubble Hem

Greetings ModLovers! With the last hurrah of summer being celebrated with the picnics and moonlight hangouts on Labor Day, I thought it would be appropriate to choose this week’s term with warm memories in mind. Enter the bubble hem! Introduced in 1959 as part of the original “bubble dress,” the bubble hem is characterized by a skirt flaring out at the hips and tapering in at the hem – creating a bubble-like effect. Our Pump Up the Volume Dress features not one, but two tiers of bubble-hemmed goodness! It’s great with colored leggings and a cardigan to take your late summer look to cool fall nights.

Is your wardrobe bursting with bubble hems? What are you looking forward to wearing this fall? Let me know! As always, thanks for reading, and happy shopping!

, , , ,

3 Responses to Style Glossary: Bubble Hem

  1. emily margrit 09/08/2009 at 4:07 pm #

    Why I just happen to be wearing a bubble hem skirt right now! These days when I hear “bubble dress” I think either of that dress one of the opera-goers in the Fifth Element was wearing (huge plastic globe around her) or Lady Gaga, unfortunately.

  2. Pam 09/08/2009 at 9:33 pm #

    I have one lonely plaid bubble tunic in my closet. I’m a new fan.

  3. Jen Erickson 09/08/2009 at 11:21 pm #

    Omgosh!!! I LOVE it!! Unfortanatly.. my legs do not allow me to wear such bubble gum skirts and dresses.. =( sad day.. but its sooo great! =D

Leave a Reply