The Style Gallery is a great new way for you to view, love, and share outfit photos. It’s meant to showcase all the expressive, creative, and inspirational personalities of our community!
Long-haired ladies, if you’re anything like me, you get the urge to chop your hair off on the regular, right? Whether it’s a 90-degree day that has me resisting the scissors, or a bad case of bed head, sometimes I can’t help but dream of a closely-cropped ‘do. Inspired by the looks in our latest stylebook video, today I’ll show you how you can make the cut without the commitment with this faux bob hair tutorial. The best part? It’s super easy, so you can get out the door and have everyone you know doing double-takes in no time flat!
For this style you’ll need: light hold hairspray, dry shampoo, bobby-pins, twist pins (optional), a teasing comb or brush, and a curling iron or curling rod.
1. For the best hold, start with second-day hair (a nice way of saying ‘unwashed’). Heat your curling rod, and beginning in the front, curl small sections of the top layer of your hair.
2. Work around your head until the whole top layer or section of your hair is curled. Once the curls have cooled, gently break them apart- do not brush.
3. Grab the top section of hair at your crown, and tease using your comb or brush, spritz with hairspray.
4. & 5. To add body to what will be your “short” hair, gently tease the top layer of hair you previously curled.
6. Next, grab the length of your hair behind your head.
7. Twist it tightly as if to make a bun, and form a loop.
8. Tuck the loop up under the hair at the nape of your neck.
9. Tuck away any stray ends.
10. Holding the hidden loop with one hand, secure your hair by inserting one twist pin on the left, and one on the right at an overlapping angle.
11. & 12. Secure any fly-aways using the bobby-pins. Spritz all over using your hairspray.
Et voila! In short order you’ve created a cropped hairstyle, minus the scissors! A faux bob is the perfect solution for follicular commitment-phobes such as myself. (Psst: For more hairstyling tips and inspiration, check out our new hair section on the blog!)
hair tutorials, homepage, timeless finery
Julie, you have the best hair! Love this tutorial!
I must try this *_* been wanting to opt for short hair but too chicken haha xD
If only I had long hair so I could pretend to have short hair! 🙂
Just tried this for a party! LOVE IT – thanks so much for the rad tutorial! 😀
This is exactly why “Bobbi” pins were invented! Women wanted to cut their hair but their husbands wouldn’t let them. So bob pins came to be! Super cute!
Email (will not be published) (required)
© 2016 ModCloth, Inc. All Rights Reserved.